requesting advice for personalizing a baby blanket

Old January 7th 04, 04:33 AM
Kate

Default requesting advice for personalizing a baby blanket

Hello,

I am a learning hand embroiderer and would like to hand sew my new
nephew's name onto a lovely cotton wrap I bought for him, using cotton
threads (DMC). Could anyone recommend a stitch (I have a book of
stitches I can use to learn how) that will not look too bad on the
back and is good for lettering? Any ideas on patterns for the
lettering too?

I'd appreciate any wisdoms from more experienced needleworkers.

Thanks,

Kate
Old January 7th 04, 08:59 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Good morning Kate ,
What a nice idea you have.
I have 2 suggestions yoiu might consider ,
1 . buy a similar cloth and embroider on it and than applique it on
the blanket , this way no mistakes will show.
2. best stich for double sided neatnes would be the chain st.
best of luck , mirjam

Old January 7th 04, 12:58 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Kate: Use your computer for the letters. There are so many different
fonts to choose from. Type them into a document, at the size you need.
This might take a bit of maneuvering, depending upon the size.

If it is small lettering: For those at the beginning end of the scale:

If the letters are BLOCK with a good deal of space between the outlines,
I'd stitch the "space" in closed herringbone, then edge with tiny chain
or Portuguese stem stitch. If you use 3 strands of thread, you can whip
the chain for a chunkier look, especially if the Portuguese stem stitch
seems daunting.

If the letter are skinnier, several rows of tiny chain will work well.
Or several rows of stem stitch worked in the "corded" fashion, not the
"wide" method.

I'll think on this throughout the day and see if I can come up with
other ideas for you. I'm sure others will respond, too, with their own
points of view and experiences.

Dianne

Old January 7th 04, 03:46 PM
Kay Hahn

You can write the name in pencil and do a stem stitch over it.
This is similar to a backstitch except that instead of ends of
stitches touching, the stitch touches the previous one in the
middle. It has the advantage of curving nicely, so you can follow
the letters. You can also find cross-stitch alphabets, some are
quite charming. Whatever you do, it will hold up well as long as
you finished the ends of the threads off by first slipping under
stitches in one direction and then reversing direction and slipping
under the same 4-5 stitches in the opposite direction. If you use
plain cotton floss you can wash and even bleach with no problem.

Have fun!

Kay at

all usual disclaimers apply .nothing witty here
Old January 7th 04, 05:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Kay Hahn wrote:

You can write the name in pencil and do a stem stitch over it.
This is similar to a backstitch except that instead of ends of
stitches touching, the stitch touches the previous one in the
middle. It has the advantage of curving nicely, so you can follow
the letters.

This is what I've done with great success in the
past when the letters aren't very big. Actually, I've
done big letters this way on fleece blankets with perle
cotton, but I don't think you'd want to go *too* big on
cotton or I don't think it would look as good.
Actually, what sort of cotton is the wrap?
That would probably make a difference in terms of what
stitches I'd use.

Best wishes,
Ericka