Motivation, Decisions, Procrastination

Old August 26th 03, 04:09 PM
QuiltR1024

In article , Lynne in Toronto
writes:

Quilting takes a LOT of time (not to mention space and money). Do I want
to spend so much time on quilting...wouldn't I rather do other things.
For now the answer is no! But I'm thinking that will change over the
next few months.

Lynne,
I try to have a variety of activities and initerest at the same time. I',m
spending a lot of time in my flower garden this time of year. I have been
working on a ferw quilting activities, but also like to go to museums in the
city, visit and go places with friends, decorating and re-painting the house,
etc.....
I think if you bring in all these other activies, you'll enjoy your quilting
more when you do get to it.

Kris ( in northern Virignia, enjoying a beautiful sunny day)

Old August 26th 03, 04:49 PM

Lynne, you are right about doing other things besides quilting. It
relaxes the mind to indulge in some 'just for me' cooking, sunset or
bird watching, or reading. I just purchased "The Complete Collected
Poems of Maya Angelou", and would you believe it...on the fourth page is
a Goose in the Pond quilt! And on every new chapter page, too. After I
read it, I just might get busy on a GITP quilt for a new baby arriving
in late Sept. 8^)Nancycog in MD

Old August 26th 03, 05:49 PM
Butterfly

Set a timer for 20 min and when it dings GET UP and LEAVE.
NO LOOKING BACK just leave.
But you MUST do it every day. At the end of 5 days (((weekends don't
count unless you want them to))) report here ((or email me)) with a
progress report.
Doesn't matter if you do other quilting or sewing or whatever--only 20
min allowed on that particular quilt per day.
HTH
Butterfly (don't call me Mom fer nuttin ; )

Sharon Harper wrote:
You aren't the only one. I really need to pull my finger out and get going
with DH's nightmare quilt but I find myself looking for any and all excuses
not to. I just can't be bothered. I HATE, HATE, HATE that quilt. I'm
going to do some on it tonight. There. That's my deadline. Yuck. I hate
deadlines.

Old August 26th 03, 07:59 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

So I
have decided to handle this by just setting a deadline to stop
dithering and start the project! Just do it!! Hey, that is a
clever slogan ... do you think I could make up some tee shirts
and sell them? G

Works for me....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old August 26th 03, 09:57 PM
frood

Well, I've always done some sort of handcraft, so if I wasn't quilting, I'd
be cross stitching or needlepointing or sewing clothes. But I didn't enjoy
any of those nearly as much as I enjoy quilting! Too many quilts? Possibly.
But I keep having ideas for them! And I must make them all!!! Muu-ahahahaha!
(demented laughter)

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Lynne in Toronto" wrote in message

Here's another thought. I think we make too many quilts!

Really, there are times when I have so much quilting stuff on the go
that I feel stressed, and I am sure that's not how it was meant to be.
There are so many other things in life to enjoy, but I find that
sometimes I'd rather quilt than almost anything else.

I've been asking myself lately, if I weren't quilting (in between
working full time and finishing the degree) what else would I do? And I
am reminded that I haven't picked up my guitar in years, have thought
often about buying a keyboard and taking up piano again, haven't written
a poem or short story in the longest time, and still can't get that
exercise programme going.

Quilting takes a LOT of time (not to mention space and money). Do I want
to spend so much time on quilting...wouldn't I rather do other things.
For now the answer is no! But I'm thinking that will change over the
next few months.

So Pat...just enjoy every day (I know you do) and whether you quilt or
not is up to you...and not a problem, either way.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old August 27th 03, 03:30 AM
Sharon Harper

Yes Maam! I did 3 whirlimacallits last night - got 5 more of that
pertikerler fabric to do then, only about 40 more of various fabrics to do
and then gotta cut all the "joiner" bits and then the fun bit - sewin' em
all together. But yes maam will report on wednesday next week maam!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html