mini power tools

Old August 20th 03, 03:07 PM
Allan Adler

Default mini power tools

I'm reading The Mini Power Tool Handbook, by Zachary Taylor and
Colin Bullock. One reason I'm interested in small power tools is
that I have very little space to work on projects or store equipment
and materials in my apartment.

The authors recommend some precautions for dealing with dust, such as
wearing a dust mask. It seems to me that if the dust is still there after
one finishes working, it is still a hazard (health, of course, and maybe also
fire), not to mention a mess. So there also needs to be a procedure for
containing and eliminating whatever dust and debris might accumulate. This
is something the authors say nothing about.

I've seen that some companies sell enclosures for several hundred dollars,
which might be one solution. I'd like to know how others deal with the
problem of containing and eliminating the dust they produce when using
these tools.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *

Old August 20th 03, 09:02 PM
paula

i always wear goggles when using either my mini tools or full size
ones, as i treasure my eyes.i wear a dust mask if the task in hand is
going to produce dust etc. then i clean it up straight away so i had
not really thought about it "lying" around.the good thing about larger
tools is that with sanders etc. you can get ones that have a bag
attached to catch all the mess.other than an industrial dust extractor
i cannot think of a solution.
Old August 20th 03, 10:23 PM
katouck

Well, if I do any sanding or grinding that will produce dust, I just take
the end off the vacuum cleaner, turn it on and put the hose next to my
project. My vacuum didn't really appreciate the plaster dust... It stuck to
the inside of the dust containers... Once I was done I just rince everything
out. So on top of protective glasses and a mask, I sometimes think that I
will need ear plugs!

Kathleen

Old August 28th 03, 03:29 AM
Harriet

one of my power saws has a place where the vacuum hose can slide on. this
immediately takes care of most of the saw dust. if your tools have no such
attachment feature, lay a vacuum hose without an attachment, across the
table where you are working. that should maintain the dust in the area.
good luck
harriet cohen
http://paperandimages.home.att.net

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

[...]

*

*
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial

*
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect

*
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston

*
* metropolitan area.

*
*

*

funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin Carving 6 November 2nd 04 10:46 AM
Using a power inverter for AC power at an art fair Paul Fincannon Marketplace 0 July 14th 04 04:50 PM
Power Pro and Power Cord Marisa Exter Beads 12 April 15th 04 03:02 PM
What tools to use when drilling pilot holes for eyelets? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 2 March 12th 04 11:26 AM