Quilt Shops in Va.

Old July 31st 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Quilt Shops in Va.

THERE you are, Allison; I haven't seen you here in
ages. Welcome back. Yes, it sure was fun to meet you
and your friend to browse fabric and enjoy the meal
together. I hope we do it again sometime. RCTQ Meet ups
are so special.
PAT in VA/USA

wrote:
On Jul 30, 3:02 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:

Mary:
Go to the web site for Virginia Consortium of Quilters
for lots of info about quilting venues and
opportunities in Virginia.
http://www.vcq.org/
Look for Nancy's Calico patch in Newport News. You
might have to email or call for directions; the web
site is giving me issues today. I've directed several
RCTQ denizens to Nancy's and they have been pleased.

....cut...

Yes I was definitely a pleased denizen after meeting Pat at Nancy's
Calico Patch. The fabric selection is wonderful and there is a good
Mexican restaurant across the street if you are hungry! I also
enjoyed the love2quilt store near Williamsburg (altho that one was a
bit tricky to find, hidden inside a grouping of little stores). I
bought LOTS of fabric - had to take advantage of the opportunity you
know.

And now...my 'souvenir" fabric is all washed and ready to go ...just
waiting til I finish my current project.

Allison in Montreal

Old July 31st 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Well, Connie, you will not be happy to learn those
shops are gone. Quilts Unlimited relocated a couple
blocks over, to combine with an upscale gift shop. It
still sells the vintage and newer quilts, but no
quilting supplies. Needlecraft Corner was part of the
Wmbg Soap and Candle Company Complex. The whole Company
went out of business a couple years ago, unfortunately.
They owned the Granny Nanny foundation patterns; that
portion was sold to someone else, but I do not know if
GN is still operating. I worked at the shop for about a
year ... around '95-95 I think. Maybe I was working
when you were there! So, I say thanks for the
compliments on the service. Grins,
PAT in VA/USA

Connie wrote:

I used to go to these two when I was in the area (2002 was the last
time I was there - so no guarantees that they're still open or that
better shops haven't opened in the area) ...

Quilts Unlimited
Merchants Square, 440A Duke of Gloucester St., (757)253-8700
Store Hours: M-Sat 9-6, Sun 12-5

Needlecraft Corner
7521 Richmond Road, (757)564-3354
Store Hours: 9 - 5 daily (including Sunday)

Though, my favorite was Needlecraft Corner (NAYY, of course) ... they
have EVERYTHING, but their specialty seemed to be Repro fabrics and
patterns - they were the first in the area to have the Aunt Grace
fabrics and the 30s stamped redwork patterns. They also had every
paper-pieced pattern known to man (or woman! LOL) But most of all, VERY
friendly, non-obtrusive service. They let you browse without stalking
you, but were at your elbow when you needed something or looked like
you couldn't find what you were looking for.

Old July 31st 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

I also had a very nice visit with Pat at Nancy's (Hi Pat!) a couple of
years ago. The shop is a must-see. Even my sister, who doesn't know
which end of a needle is sharp, enjoyed our visit there. :-)

Rita L.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/ggollymm
Old July 31st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Well, Connie, you will not be happy to learn those
shops are gone. Quilts Unlimited relocated a couple
blocks over, to combine with an upscale gift shop. It
still sells the vintage and newer quilts, but no
quilting supplies. Needlecraft Corner was part of the
Wmbg Soap and Candle Company Complex. The whole Company
went out of business a couple years ago, unfortunately.
They owned the Granny Nanny foundation patterns; that
portion was sold to someone else, but I do not know if
GN is still operating. I worked at the shop for about a
year ... around '95-95 I think. Maybe I was working
when you were there! So, I say thanks for the
compliments on the service. Grins,
PAT in VA/USA

Ah, crap! Out of all the shops I've been to, Needlecraft Corner was my
favorite (ahem - well, my best friend owned one for a while, too ... so
don't tell her I said that!) quilt shop!! I STILL compare every quilt
shop I go into to NC.

QU was the one that had it's focus on selling quilts wasn't it?? Not
much in the way of fabrics, notions, etc? Am I remembering that right?

Why in the world would it go out of business?? Every time I was there
(about twice a month - we lived in MD at the time and went to Richmond
twice a month for hubby's Guard Duty at Sandston - and I'd spend the
entire time @ NC - the ONLY reason I went to Richmond in the first
place!!) it was busy, busy, busy!?

Granny Nanny! That was it! I STILL have those patterns - the sailboat
especially. My hubby and son went crazy over that pattern and I made
them two quilts each with it. I loved those patterns!!!

WOW! You were there? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I did see you
there ... I wish I had have met you here online first so I could meet
you in person (did that make sense?? No caffeine yet ...). I'd shop
there from about 96-2002? Even after hubby left the Natl Guard, I'd
still sneak down and visit during the week. It was worth the 2 1/2 hour
drive.

But most definitely, ya'll were awesome people - VERY friendly without
that stalking thing. I remember asking a LOT of silly questions about
quilting - and not a single one of you laughed at me!

If I didn't say it then, I'll say it now ... "Thanks!" for being so
kind-hearted and for sharing your love of quilting with me! And of
course, everyone else who'd go there. Ya'll were always patient, always
kind, always helpful.
Hmmm ... maybe *that's* why I still compare quilt shops to NC!

Connie wrote:

[...]

Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/
Old July 31st 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

wrote:
On Jul 30, 3:02 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:

Mary:
Go to the web site for Virginia Consortium of Quilters
for lots of info about quilting venues and
opportunities in Virginia.http://www.vcq.org/
Look for Nancy's Calico patch in Newport News. You
might have to email or call for directions; the web
site is giving me issues today. I've directed several
RCTQ denizens to Nancy's and they have been pleased.

snip

Well I am still here but unfortunately mostly lurking since I am
reading the groups through google still. I haven't figured out a
better alternate yet.
But RCTQ is pretty special...you folks are the only group I am keeping
up with at the moment!
Allison

Old August 5th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
mb from pa

I will be going down to Williamsburg, Virginia next week. I was
wondering if anyone has some suggestions for some quilt shops in and
around the area.

Thank you all for your suggestions for quilt shops. Sounds like I
will definitely
have to check out Nancy's Calico Patch. I can always send the hubby
and kids over to the Mexican Restaurant. They're always hungry.

I looked on the vcq website, and made a list of shops around the
places we will be visiting. Not sure how many I'll be able to go to,
but I'm sure going to try.

Thanks again.

Mary in PA

Old August 6th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Mary:
When are you coming here? Nancy has 20% off all fabric
this week, until 18 Aug. Then there will be a special
20th Anniversary Sale on 20 Aug. NAYY.
If you will be here on Friday, 10 Aug., you might want
to visit my quilt guild meeting in the morning. We will
be having a special speaker, Augusta Cole, who is very
talented, and very funny!
PAT in VA/USA

Quilt Shops/MD and OH Tina Quilting 5 December 3rd 05 01:04 AM
Looking for quilt shops pajaritaflora Quilting 3 November 17th 05 11:49 PM
quilt shops in NY Terbear Quilting 8 April 6th 04 08:41 PM
Quilt shops in LA? Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 March 19th 04 07:26 PM
quilt shops along the way? Laurie G. Quilting 1 November 26th 03 07:19 PM