OT; Sewing Room Art

Old February 6th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

Default OT; Sewing Room Art

I have been searching for an gender appropriate piece of sewing
related art, that I could hang in my sewing room. Not surprisingly,
most of what I have found has women represented in the various tasks
related to sewing. Not many men are shown doing sewing things. I came
across this piece of artwork, online and immediately was taken with
it. Not only does it show a man doing sewing things, but it shows him
doing things that are usually done by men, although not exclusively of
course. It is called Tailor, and the artist is V. Ramos. I ordered it
online, and when it arrived, I matted it and made a Cherry frame and
just finished the completed work, and placed it on the wall. It is
very timely as I am about to start a new project of making myself a
custom fitted suit. I hope it gives me inspiration to delve into this
new and more challenging area of sewing. I think it will. Here is a
picture showing it hanging in place in my sewing room.
Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...81286093473986

John
Old February 6th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

On 2/6/2010 12:45 PM, John wrote:
[...]

Very nice, John.
I have some pictures in my sewing room that I found at a flea market.
They are from vintage McCall's sewing books. I love them. I find it fun
to have things like that in the room. Mine didn't get the grand
treatment you have given to your print, so they are nowhere near as
impressive.
Juno
Old February 6th 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 6, 1:38*pm, Juno B wrote:
On 2/6/2010 12:45 PM, John wrote:

[...]

There is a saying that is attributed to William Morris, the 19th
century Designer and artist and it goes like this, "Never have
anything around you that you do not think of as beautiful". I try to
live my life as closely to that principal as is possible. Note that he
did not say anything about spending lots of money to do that. He just
said "that you do not think of as beautiful. It really doesn't matter
where you got it or how much you paid for it, or if you did it your
self. You just need to think it is beautiful. That is the important
thing. If it inspires you, that is what is makes for a stimulating
environment.

John
Old February 6th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

On 2/6/2010 2:00 PM, John wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:38 pm, Juno wrote:
On 2/6/2010 12:45 PM, John wrote:

[...]

I most certainly have to agree with that. There is some much beauty in
simple things, why not enjoy them. DH and I try to surround ourselves
with things we find beautiful and therefore comforting. I don't find
beauty in terms of what money can buy, but rather in what I enjoy. A
leaf, a shell, a child laughing.
Old February 9th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
[...]

Excellent!

You know, I always like this painting:
http://umlautampersand.files.wordpre...lor-moroni.jpg

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 9th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

--
Kate *XXXXXX *R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk

I like that one too. I had not seen that. It is more of a classic
portrait. For me though, I loved all of the elements that are in the
one I chose. There is an old singer machine in the background, and
other tidbits here and there. The thing I thought was a hoot, was the
color of the suit he is making. I would have demanded prepayment in
full before I even started on that one.
John
Old February 9th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
On Feb 9, 3:52 am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Giggle...

Yerse... Or how about this one on the right?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2190/...292d872c9b.jpg

I've seen this blue one in the flesh, and it is utterly sublime. To
kill for, if not to die for! The workmanship in all the details is
beautiful: http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/18122-popup.html

And yes, he invented the LOOK that followed. Done well, I can still
love a seventies suit with huge lapels and flared trousers.

Old February 9th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 9, 8:36*am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
On Feb 9, 3:52 am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Where have all the game show hosts gone? Sadly not forgotten for the
good of mankind. The only thing that can rival those sorts of things,
are the Nudie suits of the Country and Western star era.
http://www.nudiesrodeotailor.com/gal...ashions01.html
The mind boggles.
John
Old February 9th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
On Feb 9, 8:36 am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
On Feb 9, 3:52 am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Those are very very scary...

Old February 9th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
John

On Feb 9, 10:20*am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
On Feb 9, 8:36 am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
John wrote:
You know, I always like this painting: http://umlautampersand.files..wordpr...lor-moroni.jpg
--
[...]

Indeed!
John

My Sewing Room Sunny Quilting 3 February 17th 07 04:45 PM
cleaning out sewing room/spare bedroom/catchal room judy in fort worth Quilting 2 May 29th 06 12:59 PM
Sewing room Don/Gen Quilting 21 January 17th 06 08:07 AM
my own sewing room Sharon Gates Quilting 0 October 17th 05 04:18 AM
My Sewing Room. Coleen Quilting 1 August 22nd 04 02:26 PM