Coil Bowl Step By Step

Old March 16th 05, 03:21 PM
Bonnie NJ

I looked at your site. I was wondering what type of thread you used to sew
the basket. Do you have a
preference?

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Liz & Allan MacDonald" wrote in message
newszXZd.2147$Ue6.681@trndny04...
Hee Hee, what fun it is to be able to show this talented group something
new. The pictures will stay up, and I'm eager to see what you all make.

Some of you have asked about the clothesline. There's absolutely nothing
special about it, either in the size or the composition. It came from the
hardware store and was cheap. I started with a narrower diameter nylon(I
think) cord, from the hardware store. It is better proportioned for a
smaller bowl. I made a few about 6" diameter, about candy dish size, but
gave them away. The batik bowl is made with the narrow cord. The green
bowl in the picture series is about 10" diameter.
You could use sweatshirt drawstring from the fabric store. I did find the
clothesline easier to work with because the strips cling to it.
More than once when adding on a new strip to the nylon cord I'd wrap a
ways and then see that the whole thing had slid away from the overlap to
expose the cord.

Once again, thanks to Helen Deighan for the inspiration. Her site is
http://www.crosswayspatch.co.uk/

Helen tears her strips. Once you've pulled off the loose threads, you're
left with a slightly frayed edge that wraps nicely. I prefer to use
fabrics with good dye saturation so the torn edge doesn't look too much
lighter in color.

I tried rotary cutting the strips. What happens is that the cut edge
frays as you handle the strip and you get longer threads sticking up. You
can tuck them under as you wrap, or trim them off later. I guess you
could fold one edge under as you press the strips to get a clean edge with
no change in color, but I'm not that ambitious.

Of course this process can be done by hand, too. You'd have to if the
cord was too fat to fit under the presser foot.
Have fun!

Liz
http://community.webshots.com/user/am1384

Old March 16th 05, 04:08 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

Bonnie NJ wrote:
I looked at your site. I was wondering what type of thread you used to sew
the basket. Do you have a
preference?

And I thought I answered all the questions! Grin
I don't know that the type of thread matters. I've been using whatever's
around that's the right color, so it's mostly Coats & Clark, which is
cotton covered poly. I use a jeans needle, because it's strong and
sharp and was in the machine.
Liz

Old March 17th 05, 09:21 PM
Pati Cook

You can also do these with the raw edges out to get a "raggy" look. I
used the soft upholstery piping filler to do one a few years ago.
It is a great way to use up less than perfect or really "unusual" and
otherwise unusable fabric. (Or fabric which is "ugly"........)

Pati, in Phx

Liz & Allan MacDonald wrote:

Good afternoon all,
I've put a series of pictures up on webshots showing step by step the
process of making a coil bowl.
They're carefully hidden in the album titled Coil Bowl How-To.
I just finished loading them, so give it a few minutes.

Liz (Bwahahaha - you'll all be addicted....)

http://community.webshots.com/user/am1384