Wooly, You Were Right

Old July 14th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default Jaywalker socks was Wooly, You Were Right

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:28:59 GMT, "Midwest poster"
spewed forth :

7.5 inches would fit my foot. ;-) But seriously, I hope you get some
relief soon.

The "large" size Jaywalker sock knitted to gauge wouldn't turn my heel
either. I wear a size 10 and my ankle is 9.375" in diameter whether
I'm being fat or thin on any particular day. It isn't about size with
these sox, it's about flexibility or stretch and lack of same.

I gave up quite some time ago on fancy patterned socks - nobody sees
them anyhow so I spend that effort on sweaters and scarves. Opal and
similar sock yarns are fast knits and make their own patterns - what
more can a girl ask for?

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 14th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Well, they would be easy to knit, but I wouldn't want to put them on the
bords!

Higs,
Katherine

Sue W wrote:
LOL Mirjam, I don't think it would be easy!

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Are you kniotting sopcks for birds ?
sorry couldn`t resist
mirjam
t.knitnet wrote:

"Sue W" wrote in message
. com...
I'll admit to having knitted about 2/3 of one sock using the larger
number
of stitches and 2.5mm needles. It measures about 7.5 inches
around. When I
tried it on, I couldn't get my heel through the leg part, - not
much stretch to it at all.
I'll rip it when I can get round to knitting much again (carpal
tunnel syndrome).

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

7.5 inches would fit my foot. ;-) But seriously, I hope you get
some relief soon.

--
Jan in MN

Old July 14th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hahahahah Sue it wouldn`t be easy ,, but very interesting ,,, What was
the name of the folk story where the girl knits something for her
brothers who were turned into geeze ??????
mirjam

Old July 15th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Threnody

Default The Six Swans (was Jaywalker socks was Wooly, You Were Right)

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Hahahahah Sue it wouldn`t be easy ,, but very interesting ,,, What was
the name of the folk story where the girl knits something for her
brothers who were turned into geeze ??????
mirjam

I love that fairy tale. I have a copy of it in a collection of Grimm's
Tales and it's named "The Six Swans" (No. 49), but it may be geese in
other translations. Here's the wiki on the story, for those who don't
know it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Swans The wiki entry
includes a link at the bottom to an annotated version of the story.

--
Threnody

Old July 15th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Threnody wrote:
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Hahahahah Sue it wouldn`t be easy ,, but very interesting ,,, What was
the name of the folk story where the girl knits something for her
brothers who were turned into geeze ??????
mirjam

I love that fairy tale. I have a copy of it in a collection of Grimm's
Tales and it's named "The Six Swans" (No. 49), but it may be geese in
other translations. Here's the wiki on the story, for those who don't
know it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Swans The wiki entry
includes a link at the bottom to an annotated version of the story.

I think it was swans, and an Australian writer wrote a trilogy based on
the story. Leda is the girls name.

sue
Old July 15th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:16:11 GMT, Wooly wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:28:59 GMT, "Midwest poster"
spewed forth :

7.5 inches would fit my foot. ;-) But seriously, I hope you get some
relief soon.

The "large" size Jaywalker sock knitted to gauge wouldn't turn my heel
either. I wear a size 10 and my ankle is 9.375" in diameter whether
I'm being fat or thin on any particular day. It isn't about size with
these sox, it's about flexibility or stretch and lack of same.

I gave up quite some time ago on fancy patterned socks - nobody sees
them anyhow so I spend that effort on sweaters and scarves. Opal and
similar sock yarns are fast knits and make their own patterns - what
more can a girl ask for?

+++++++++++++

I like to do a pattern just because it's more fun to knit!

Alison
Old July 15th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

And I think it must all go back to the Greek myth in which Leda was
seduced by Zeus when he came to her as a swan. That Zeus had lots of
girlfriends and lots of disguises.

Hesira

Old July 16th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

suzee wrote:

I think it was swans, and an Australian writer wrote a trilogy based
on
the story. Leda is the girls name.

sue

In my Brothers Grimm collection.( Dutch translation) are notes for each
and every story they wrote. For the Six Swans it states the following.
The story is based on an old story that was found in a Latin work, a
Dolophatos, written in 1190 by monk named Johannes from the Lotharingsche
abby, Haute-Seille. At the time it was very common to hear stories where a
ball of yarn will lead the way to an answer, as well as that there are
demands made for the hero or heroinne to by silent for a period of time
and is also not allowed to laugh, so not to break the spell. It also
states that the same story lines were found in Arabic and Indian stories
long before that.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 16th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 04:28:35 GMT, (Els van Dam)
wrote:

In my Brothers Grimm collection.( Dutch translation) are notes for each
and every story they wrote. For the Six Swans it states the following.
The story is based on an old story that was found in a Latin work, a
Dolophatos, written in 1190 by monk named Johannes from the Lotharingsche
abby, Haute-Seille. At the time it was very common to hear stories where a
ball of yarn will lead the way to an answer, as well as that there are
demands made for the hero or heroinne to by silent for a period of time
and is also not allowed to laugh, so not to break the spell. It also
states that the same story lines were found in Arabic and Indian stories
long before that.

Els

I am sure I remember this as The Seven Swans. The girl had to weave 7
shirts out of nettles, never speaking, to change her brothers back.
After various story details (meeting prince, marrying prince, being
accused of being a witch, being tied to a stake to be burned) she
manages to finish all but half of the seventh shirt. The swans show
up at the stake, she throws the shirts over each swan, and they turn
back into men, but the last brother still has a swan's wing because
she couldn't get it finished.
I discovered that the Andrew Lang (British) version is Six Swans. And
the Andersen version which I thought I was remembering actually is
called Wild Swans and has 11 brothers.
This is a great website for fairy tales:
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/sixswans/other.html

Old July 16th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article , Alison
wrote:

Story telling is a little bit like fashion designing. "what goes around
comes around" with an added twist, to fit the times....LOL, a touch of
wisdom, punishment, and evil influences and always a bit of romance, and
virility, which ends in fertility, and oodles of kids.....LOL. sounds
like daily life.

Els

Els

I heart Wooly Threnody Yarn 13 July 3rd 06 07:10 PM
A Wooly Evening Out Threnody Yarn 12 April 17th 06 04:44 AM
Att'n: Wooly, oh Wooly!!!! Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 2 August 10th 05 08:56 PM
Big Thank You to Wooly & Rusty [email protected] Yarn 3 July 10th 05 12:05 AM
Sad News from Wooly Dreams Tink Boord-Dill Needlework 5 May 28th 04 08:49 PM