Question on Embroidering

Old November 19th 03, 10:26 PM
Trish Brown

snip

Your post, Tia Mary, does give more dimension to Trish's character,
though. LOL--(WITH you, Trish, not at you! BTDT.)
Cea

ROTFL!!! Amen to that, Cea! I wish I had a quid (that's Oz-speak for 'a pound',
which we had before we got dollars) for every unfinished item in my cupboard!

There's the tapestry mare and foal, complete except for the bottom half-inch
(ran out of floss).

The cross stitch I designed of my old Mac Plus desktop: it's a sampler of all
the old Apple icons, like MacPaint, MacWrite, ConcertWare, Macinooga ChooChoo,
Wingz, CopyIIMac etc etc. I'd gotten sick of cross-stitching in black on
white...

The polar fleece football jumpers I'd cut out for DH and me - we 'outgrew' them
before they ever got finished! Well! Summer came and it was too hot. By the time
winter rolled around again, we'd grown!

The picnic rug I expected to make out of all DH's old, torn cotton drill shorts.
What a great idea! I found out after I'd cut out all those triangles that I'm
not very fond of patchworking!

The doll (DH calls it 'the cadaver') I'd begun to make for a friend's little
boy. I rather enjoy making character dolls and this one was going to be Fireman
Sam. Only I couldn't find 'red' fake fur to make his hair and nowhere could I
find yellow ripstop for his pants. 'The cadaver' is the body with no eyes,
mouth, ears etc. It rolls around the place waiting to be turned into Someone
Else... the little boy is now nine and *not* interested in Fireman Sam any more!

During a holiday at her parents' house (humungous mansion at a lovely rural
place called Girvan), a friend inveigled me into making some dresden plate
blocks out of the remnants from my DD's dresses (have made legions of these -
dresses, I mean - since she was born!) Well, after much heaving and swearing and
unpicking, I made two. But I finally realised these dresden plates were going to
be forever dresden *cones*! Nothin' I did to 'em was gonna make 'em lie flat!
So, they're there... waiting...

I could go on and on and on... but I won't! Suffice to say, I'm only human! I
have my shortcomings just like the rest of you! What about *your* UFO's Cea???
Hmmmmmmm????? ;-
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 20th 03, 02:02 AM

Question on Embroidering

(Trish=A0Brown)
snip
I could go on and on and on... but I won't! Suffice to say, I'm only
human! I have my shortcomings just like the rest of you! What about
*your* UFO's Cea??? Hmmmmmmm????? ;-
---
oh...d'ya mean the 300 year quilt, which I am handquilting, at the
cost of a quart of blood each session? It takes weeks to recover. Or the
lovely shimmery dress which, at first fitting, added 15 unlovely
shimmery pounds to my figure? Or the fake fur Anna Karenina coat which I
first began when DD#2 was 7 y.o., which still lives, attached to the
original pattern, in a cupboard? This list is seemingly endless, but I
have Other Lists:
Things Which No One Would Wear: flannel pj's, black & white
striped--the kids looked like they were breaking out of maximum
security; the ticking quilted vest which I made with ceramic chicken
buttons and white feathers protruding from all of the seams? Can you see
a teenage girl wearing this to school? No? I thought not. Originally, I
just thought not at all, or this would have died on the drawing table.
Inherited Crap Projects From Others: this list is actually longer that
my original list. For some weird reason, it used to weigh more heavily
on my conscience, too. After all, I originally had some control over My
projects. These foist-offs seemed to come to me weighted with some
obligation. I have succeeded in foiling them recently, though. I began a
reclamation project. Having no emotional attachment to these particular
fabrics, I felt free to cut them up and use them at will. This pile is
dwindling.
Which makes the Special Projects Collection heave into view. HEY!!!
Why don't I collect unusual sweater knits, cut them up, and serge them
into a unique sweater?!! I can run this up on the serger!! What fun, and
so creative!!! Leather has it's own appeal, I can buy leather skirts at
the thrift shop, take them apart, and cover some chair seats/ottomans,
and it would be way cool!!
There are many other categories, but I'll save you some online money
and describe them in brief: wool needlework, more wool needlework, some
hand embroidery, some knitting, crocheting, rug hooking, plastic canvas
projects, planned garments which only got to the cutting stage, dolls...
Oh, and the huge assortment of UFO's which I inherited from beloved
MIL, which include some wonderful quilt tops from pre-'50's--loads of
flour sack toweling included, and more quilt pieces, and unidentified
pieces/patterns in small boxes, and doll pieces, and box after box of
fabric, replete with MIL's UFOs...
I need to get up earlier in the morning.
Cea

Old November 20th 03, 01:56 PM
SewStorm

This prompted me to cut up my
longest-standing UFO (*not* one of Ms Wentzler's, thankfully) and the relief
was
immediate and pervasive.

As I was reading this I was wearing a former UFO that I had TWICE rescued from
the trash. However, in general this is good advice. Why waste your creative
energy worrying about it?

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati