What ever happened to....

Old January 7th 04, 08:36 AM
Kyla

Default What ever happened to....

Friendly Plastic?? Does anyone remember that stuff? Just wondering....I
was looking at dichro pendants on eBay, and noticed that a LOT of them look
just like Friendly Plastic, LOL )

--
Kyla
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

Old January 7th 04, 09:51 AM
Beth

you can still get friendly plastic, and tools with which to work it... try
the local craft store... Often it's located near or with the polyclay.
It's great fun stuff!

m...

Old January 7th 04, 12:20 PM
BeckiBead

KYLA -- don't they, though? LOL. I started out in FP. I know exactly what
you mean. The technique is the same -- cut color pieces and lay them over each
other, then melt until they all stick together!

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old January 7th 04, 08:43 PM
Beth

You can also cut smallish pieces of fp and lay them side by side, heat to
melting, and "drag" the colors together to marble. Looks wonderful,
especially if at least one of the colors is metallic.! (can you tell I've
done a demo or two?)

Old January 8th 04, 01:11 AM
BeckiBead

Barbara -- no disrespect meant.

Old January 8th 04, 07:24 PM
Dr. Sooz

The technique is the same -- cut color pieces and lay them over each
other, then melt until they all stick together!

"I like to melt stuff."
~ Frank, Phoebe's brother (on Friends)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 12th 04, 03:05 AM
Beadseeker

What I really can't stand is when someone comes
up to my booth at a show and points to a dichro
piece and squeals, "oh, I know what that is, it's
Friendly Plastic!" Then they don't believe me when
I tell them that it's glass. Even when I have them
handle it and they can't put a dent in it with a fingernail,
a coin, whatever.

Barbara,
As a fellow dichroic glass artist, I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Also, fp has nowhere near the depth or constant color play change that you
achieve with Dichroic glass. Not to mention that dichro is about 18 times more
expensive than fp.
Patti

Old January 12th 04, 04:12 PM
starlia

I also know what you mean. I can't stand it when they won't believe it's
not fp. Ugh!