Fav cutter

Old October 5th 04, 02:31 AM
jk

Default Fav cutter

We all have our favorites. What's your absolutely favorite glass cutter?
The one you use more than any other, especially in a pressure situation? I
still prefer the Toyo cutters, especially the short clear stick, but the
pistol is a good one for switching off to.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old October 5th 04, 02:59 AM
C Ryman

So far, I like the Toyo adjustable tap cutter. I don't seem to have much
control over the pistol grip.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

et...

Old October 5th 04, 03:10 AM
Moonraker

I use a brass barrel Toyo with a foam "cozie" grip and a pistol grip Toyo.
It's whichever one I can find at the moment. :) I also have a German
made oval cutter but it has a Toyo head on it, too.

"C Ryman" wrote in message
So far, I like the Toyo adjustable tap cutter. I don't seem to have much
control over the pistol grip.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

et...

Old October 5th 04, 03:35 AM
Javahut

"jk" wrote in message
et...
We all have our favorites. What's your absolutely favorite glass cutter?
The one you use more than any other, especially in a pressure situation? I
still prefer the Toyo cutters, especially the short clear stick, but the
pistol is a good one for switching off to.

Macinnes, or Toyo Thomas , with a tap head on it.

Old October 5th 04, 07:23 AM
Howard

OLD OLD TOYO (about 26 years).........necked style Pencil cutter (not
straight) Knurling is worn off (brass is smooth).

NEVER FILL IT WITH OIL, just dip the end (end with the wheel) in oil once in
a few weeks. YES Martha you can score glass without leaving a long trail of
oil!

I have torched a .375 diameter brass ball on the nut that is un-screwed
(not by me) to fill the cutter with oil (UGH)

Makes for great tapping!

Also have used the straight pencil type and the pistol grip and the small
toyo cutters.....they all work

Howard

--

In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Old October 5th 04, 12:14 PM
Scribble

What's your absolutely favorite glass cutter?

I'm mainly using one of the old Toyo brass pencil cutters with the bolt on
the end of the oil reservoir. Not quite worn smooth, but it's getting
there. I keep it upright in a jar with an oil-soaked rag in the bottom.

I keep an antique Fletcher on hand for the rare occasions I need something
hard to tap - usually I just use the soft edge of my breaking pliers.

Anyhow, I recently bought one of the $30 plastic Crotch Rockets (as my
business partner calls 'em) - those shortie Toyos with the curved top that
rests between your thumb and first finger while you cut. Feels OK, but I
find myself bearing down too hard sometimes...a bad habit I finally kicked
with the old brass Toyo. Also, the head tends to swivel more than I'm used
to.

~s

Old October 5th 04, 01:59 PM
Baswolfe

Pencil type. Fletcher. From the hardware store. Who needs to leave a trail
of oil?
John Bassett
Old October 5th 04, 06:46 PM
JK@work

I have an old Toyo pencil that broke about 1/3 of the way down. I threaded
a very large round headed screw, 1/2" top, into the end. Works great, that
round head fits very comfy in my palm, and makes a terrific tapper.

--
http://www.sinrodstudios.com/

Old October 5th 04, 09:40 PM
Andy

I used the same Toyo brass barrel until they came out with the Comfort
Grip then I switched to that. For all the sheet cutting I use the
Pistol grip.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Old October 5th 04, 11:03 PM
jk

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
I used the same Toyo brass barrel until they came out with the Comfort
Grip then I switched to that. For all the sheet cutting I use the
Pistol grip.

For straight line sheets, nothing beats the brass barrel with the extra
wide head.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

WTB Hollow Auger , tenon cutter or spoke pointer Darren Carving 1 October 21st 04 12:15 AM
Spring loaded cutter kdoney Glass 30 May 8th 04 06:49 PM
Good glass info Pebble Glass 5 April 29th 04 05:56 PM
What type of hand cutter is best for poor hand strength - mom really doesn't like pistol grip - Any Suggestions? Animal Lover Glass 7 September 11th 03 02:41 PM
Komfort Cutter jk Glass 0 July 29th 03 07:01 AM