How to temporarily attach glass pieces to crochet project?

Old July 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default How to temporarily attach glass pieces to crochet project?

Hi,

I'm working on a project - a doily of sorts. 9 inches across, white
yarn with iridescent crochet cotton. I want to be able to attach
several round blue glass "irises" about an inch across, to points
near the edges of the doily. I want the glass pieces to be
detachable for doily-washing purposes - what do people suggest? I
haven't done anything like this before. I don't want to use Velcro
because of possible accidental "ripping" of the yarn if a piece of
Velcro with the hooks gets caught on the yarn where it's not
supposed to be. Any ideas?

Thanks!

David

Old July 14th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I suggest you use glass with small holes, and whip stitch the pieces
onto the doily. They can be removed for cleaning, and re-stitched
later.

Old July 15th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Thanks Mary - I should have mentioned I'm giving the doily to someone far
away, someone who doesn't crochet, so I wanted something they could detach
and re-attach themselves without much work.

David

Old July 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Moon Shyne

What about some kind of spring ring - sort of like jewelry? A lobster claw
sort might work well - attach to each crystal, and then you can just take
them off to wash the doily. I've seen bags with a dozen or more of the
lobster claws at any number of craft stores - try the jewelry section.

Moon.

. bc.ca...

Old July 15th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

David my idea is to make little net [bags] that will hold the glass
objects , and which can have a hook [ you can use a skirt hook] to
hang it onto the Doilie ,
mirjam

Old July 15th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Lobster claws... thanks for the tip Moon! I've used) alligator
clips, in both electronics and illicit activities (albeit 25 years ago or so
lol!).

david

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Moon Shyne wrote:

What about some kind of spring ring - sort of like jewelry? A lobster claw
sort might work well - attach to each crystal, and then you can just take
them off to wash the doily. I've seen bags with a dozen or more of the
lobster claws at any number of craft stores - try the jewelry section.

Moon.

. bc.ca...

Old July 15th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

Are the irises flat on the back?. If so I would try to glue one half of
a snap fastener (press studs as we call them in UK) to the back of them
and sew the corresponding half on the doily.
Shirley

In message . ca, David
R. Sky writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old July 15th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Thanks mirjam - you give me an idea, I had imagined the whole thing lying
flat on the table but I don't want the pieces knocked off accidentally,
they'd have to be detached deliberately. What's a net bag?

Wishing you and your family the best during these times,

David

Old July 15th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Shirley thanks! - that's a terrific suggestion! yes, they're flat on one
side, rounded on the other.

David

Old July 15th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

If you go with that idea I would use the plastic type snap fastener and
use a clear glue to attach them to the stone. Also they will not show up
as much on the doily as metal ones and no risk of rusting.
Shirley

In message . ca, David
R. Sky writes