Cutting rough glass

Old February 10th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Cutting rough glass

I have a good few lumps of old broken glass some up to about 3" thick and
would like to cut thin sections out but not sure if or how it can be done.
If it can would it be expensive and what percentage woulod be wasted
roughly. Who if anyone does that type of work. What thickness would be the
best to aim for.
It is pieces of a broken lighthouse fresnel lens which we would like in
slivers/sections so that a picture of the lighthouse could be etched onto
them.
Sorry there are som amny questions but hopefully someone may have the
answers.

Thanks Mick

Old February 10th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

Interesting question.

My first thought would be to find someone with a waterjet to cut the slabs
for you. "Maybe" you could cut it with a diamond bladed tile saw, depending
on the thickness of the glass.

But, this glass is (probably) "pyrex", and I don't know if it could even be
cut without shattering. It might have to be re-annealed first? Some of the
glass blowers around here might know about that.

If you can get it cut, then you'll have to have it polished, as the saw
blade or water jet will leave a surface that looks like the glass has been
sandblasted with coarse sand. And then comes the question of etching it.
With what, sandblasting, grinding, or acid?

Old February 10th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI Mick

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:01:04 -0000, "M"
wrote:

I have a good few lumps of old broken glass some up to about 3" thick and
would like to cut thin sections out but not sure if or how it can be done.
If it can would it be expensive and what percentage woulod be wasted
roughly. Who if anyone does that type of work. What thickness would be the
best to aim for.
It is pieces of a broken lighthouse fresnel lens which we would like in
slivers/sections so that a picture of the lighthouse could be etched onto
them.
Sorry there are som amny questions but hopefully someone may have the
answers.

Thanks Mick

It's the kind of job that somebody with a lapidary (stone-working)
workshop could probably undertake. A water-cooled, diamond 'slab-saw'
(as used for cutting slabs of stone) would do it - and would allow the
glass to be clamped to ensure that the slabs are parallel.

You'd probably need to get the slabs of glass polished afterwards
(lapidary job again, successively finer grades of abrasive followed by
a polish) before doing the etching.

As to wastage - the saw will take out a slot of maybe 1/8" inch,
possibly a little thicker....

Hope this helps ?
Adrian

Old February 10th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

M wrote:
I have a good few lumps of old broken glass some up to about 3" thick and
would like to cut thin sections out but not sure if or how it can be done.
If it can would it be expensive and what percentage woulod be wasted
roughly. Who if anyone does that type of work. What thickness would be the
best to aim for.
It is pieces of a broken lighthouse fresnel lens which we would like in
slivers/sections so that a picture of the lighthouse could be etched onto
them.
Sorry there are som amny questions but hopefully someone may have the
answers.

Thanks Mick

Do I understand right that you want to cut the curved fresnell pieces
radially, to get say ½" slices withthe three polished sides intact.
Interesting job.
How thick are the fresnedd segments. A tile saw may reach 1½"deep
lapidary saws a little deeper. Large blades are thick to prevent
vibration.
What you need is to get together
1. A glass artist with that kind of experience of cold working
with wet belt sanders and plishing planes.
2. A gravestone maker with proper saws.
The etching then is easily found.

-lauri
Old February 11th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"Lauri Levanto" wrote in message
M wrote:
[...]

a normal 10" tile saw will cut these ok. you can cut up to about 4" thick.
it won't be polished, which will take normal glass polishing techniques.
someone with a flat lap or vibrolap could do that.

Old February 12th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

M wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice and I think I'll go with the 1/4" thick and get it
polished. These are like big rough pebbles mostly and came from the lens
being smashed on the rocks when being replaced years ago. I keep finding
lumps and have given a good few away to visitors who have an interest in
lighthouses or this location. Just thought if not too expensive it would be
nice to be able to give them a piece engraved by a local artist.
Thanks again to all for the advice and I am taking some down on holiday with
me in a few weeks and will try to locates a firm in the
Yorkshire/lancashir/Cheshire area that can do the job.

Mike

Old February 12th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI Mike

M wrote:
[...]

Ah - you didn't say you were in the UK ! g

Have a word with Andy at http://www.agatehouse.co.uk
Nice bloke, did some cutting / polishing for a neighbour of mine when
I lived back in the UK.

I've only got a small lap saw at the moment, so can't help you
myself... sorry...

Hope this helps
Adrian
www.inspired-glass.com
Old February 13th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

news

M wrote:
[...]

That looks fine and would fit in with a day or so going from the North
Yorkshire Moors to the Dales and then on to the Lake District.

Tahnks - Mick

Old February 13th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI Mike

M wrote:
[...]

No problem - as I say, he did a good job for me a few years ago
on some uncut agate geodes that my neighbour brought back from
somewhere in Africa. They came back nicely cut in half and polished

Hope it works for you
Adrian

New Glass Cutting DVD available... nichollette Glass 0 September 6th 06 09:08 PM
How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface. Sam Nickaby Glass 21 July 24th 06 05:54 PM
Raw, Rough, or Broken pieces of stained glass Harry Glass 11 July 3rd 06 01:57 AM
Cutting glass; Des Glass 6 July 13th 05 01:33 PM
Smoothing Sharp, Rough Edges Of Cut Glass Question Randy Cox Glass 14 November 15th 03 03:44 AM