New To Group and Art

Old April 15th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default New To Group and Art

Hi, I am Barbara from Houston! I am learning to quilt. I have the wonderful
book "Quilting for Dummies" that has been a wonderful help. Nice to have
something explained to me in plain, simple english.

My projects that I am working on is a baby quilt for a friend and a
Christmas Set I am making for a fundraiser that has a silent auction
involved. The Christmas Set is an idea I got from material I recieved from
Ebay. I had a large piece that had 20 snowman panels on it and there was
not much I could do with it until I had all my Christmas material out and
well.. the rest is history. I have made the top quilt for a blanket
already, done the top quilt for a wall hanging. the next things I am going
to work on is a pillow and stocking to match. I have found that the seam
ripper had become my best friend. Never thought I would; make something up
as I go like I have done with this.

My other hobbies are; Sewing, it seems to have taken over my life lately and
I am loving it. Needlepoint, Cross Stitch, Crochet, Plastic Canvas and my
newest toy is my Embroidery Machine I just got from Wal Mart. I also do
Stain Glass Window Painting using Gallery glass.

Outside of all of that I am 44 years old. I have been married to my husband
for 24 years now. We have 3 children 23, 19 and 16. Along with 3
Grandchildren, Our Granddaughter who is the angel of our lives 3, her step
brother who is 3 weeks older than her and our newest grandson who is 4
months.

So that is my life story.... I am looking forward getting to know everyone
and reading all the post. Hopefully I will learn a lot from the group. I do
watch the quilting shows on PBS on Saturday Morning and I get so many
wonderful idea's and such from there. Hopefully, I will get the same from
all of you.

Barbara in Houston.

Old April 15th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Barbara Sherrill wrote:

Hi, I am Barbara from Houston! I am learning to quilt. I have the wonderful
book "Quilting for Dummies" that has been a wonderful help. Nice to have
something explained to me in plain, simple english.

It's good to find a book that helps! I haven't seen that one, but
Sewing for Dummies is good on general sewing: dressmaking with the scary
bits taken out!

My projects that I am working on is a baby quilt for a friend and a
Christmas Set I am making for a fundraiser that has a silent auction
involved. The Christmas Set is an idea I got from material I recieved from
Ebay. I had a large piece that had 20 snowman panels on it and there was
not much I could do with it until I had all my Christmas material out and
well.. the rest is history. I have made the top quilt for a blanket
already, done the top quilt for a wall hanging. the next things I am going
to work on is a pillow and stocking to match. I have found that the seam
ripper had become my best friend. Never thought I would; make something up
as I go like I have done with this.

Sounds very creative!

My other hobbies are; Sewing, it seems to have taken over my life lately and
I am loving it. Needlepoint, Cross Stitch, Crochet, Plastic Canvas and my
newest toy is my Embroidery Machine I just got from Wal Mart. I also do
Stain Glass Window Painting using Gallery glass.

I sew professionally, and quilt for relaxation! Mad, innit...

Outside of all of that I am 44 years old. I have been married to my husband
for 24 years now. We have 3 children 23, 19 and 16. Along with 3
Grandchildren, Our Granddaughter who is the angel of our lives 3, her step
brother who is 3 weeks older than her and our newest grandson who is 4
months.

I'm a leetle older, married about the same length of time, and have an
only (son, now 11). Grands at such a young age! Wow! Well, you get
longer to enjoy them, don't you!

So that is my life story.... I am looking forward getting to know everyone
and reading all the post. Hopefully I will learn a lot from the group. I do
watch the quilting shows on PBS on Saturday Morning and I get so many
wonderful idea's and such from there. Hopefully, I will get the same from
all of you.

I deeply envy you the quilting shows! We don't get any here in the
UK...

Barbara in Houston.

You missed a couple of points: Chocolate preferences, and quilt
inspector status! QI's are usually 4 footed and furry, but not always...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 15th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome, Barbara! It sounds like you're hooked on quilting, which will make
you fit into this group just fine. It's a good place for everyone from
beginners to experts - and a great source of information. Hope you visit
often!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 15th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Barbara Sherrill wrote:
Hi, I am Barbara from Houston! I am learning to quilt. I have the wonderful
book "Quilting for Dummies" that has been a wonderful help. Nice to have
something explained to me in plain, simple english.

Hi Barbara -- welcome! My mother and I shared a copy of Quilting for
Dummies when I was learning to quilt too (still learning, after 3
years!). It helped to explain some of the terminology so that quilting
wasn't such a mystery. I'm sure some other Texans will chime in to
welcome you soon too (Tina, I give you an hour or two). I'm on the
other side of the country.

-Lynn

Old April 15th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

Welcome, Barbara!

Hang around; you'll get lots of info from this bunch of... well...
quilt bunnies. g

Some history on us:
http://groups.google.com.pk/group/re...?lnk=gschg&hl=
en
or tiny url: http://tinyurl.com/gan65

Again, welcome to RCTQ newsgroup.

Ragmop/Sandy--up here in beautiful north Texas (Arlington);
handquilter for years...and years...and years .. .. .

On 4/14/06 6:25 PM, in article , "Barbara

Old April 15th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome to our group, Barbara.

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

Old April 15th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome Barbara, and thanks for telling us so much about yourself. Helps
us get to know one another.
You have a very varied 'craft life'. It will be interesting to hear how
it all develops g
..
In message , Barbara Sherrill
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 15th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome Barbara! Glad you have found this wonderful group and this really
neat hobby as well! Start saving your $$ for the International Quilting
Festival in November right here in our very own city! It is ...
well..... immense and overwhelming and wonderful and aweinspiring and ....
not to be missed if you can help it!

i will be posting a link soon to our yahoo group for ppl coming to the
festival. http://www.quilts.com/ has a little info on what the festival
is. Closer to time there will be tons of information there!

I have two other suggestions for books to start with:
Your First Quilt Book (or it should be) by Carol Doak
and
Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter

a bit more in depth than the one you have but still easy to follow!

-- Kellie in NW Houston
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
www.kjbeanne.com/kellie.htm

Old April 15th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome and nice to meet you. Do you plan on attending the "Big Show" in
November? I would love to meet you face to face.

Linda in Tx (Fairview)