can you use a PMC kiln for glass annealing?

Old October 8th 03, 09:13 PM
Pam

Default can you use a PMC kiln for glass annealing?

when they say the kiln fuses glass - does that also imply that it will
anneal glass beads?

(I'm looking at the PMC Kiln in the riogrande catalog, pg. 12 - wondering if
there is a better option that will do both glass bead annealing and PMC?)

thanks
Pam

Old October 8th 03, 09:26 PM
Pam

the other kiln I'm looking at is this one:

http://www.jekl-art.com/__Kilns/Othe...aim_kilns.html

it's the last kiln on the page for $212.00 about the same interior size as
the PMC Kiln but not digital - I guess that is the major difference for
$300+. Is the digital worth it I wonder?

any thoughts?

Old October 8th 03, 09:30 PM
Kandice Seeber

Fusing temps, PMC temps and annealing bead temps are all different, but a
lot of kilns out there will do more than one. Here are some links about
this subject:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...iln%20 fusing

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...iln%20 fusing

http://www.pmcguild.com/v61feature3.html

http://jewelrymaking.about.com/libra...y/aa02241a.htm

I am sure there is a lot more information out there...good luck!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 9th 03, 12:28 AM
Carol in SLC

when they say the kiln fuses glass - does that also imply that it will anneal
glass beads?

No - it's totally different, and there are several kilns that will fuse but NOT
anneal. They are usually far less expensive.

Carol in SLC
New auctions: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=5530

Old October 9th 03, 12:42 PM
Louis Cage

The difference between a ceramic kiln and an annealer is a ceramic kiln is
designed to ramp up to a high temp, then ramp back down; an annealer is
designed to ramp up to a certain temp (between 900F and 1100F depending on
the type of glass used) and hold at that temp, with the possibility of
holding again at a lower temp (usually around 700F). With beads, and thin
fused pieces, the second soak is not that important due to the relative
thinness of the glass. If the kiln you are looking at will do that, plus go
up to higher temps for PMC or fusing you have a multi-use kiln.
You don't need to be fusing in any kiln that you can't anneal in. Fused
pieces need to be annealed as much as lampworked pieces for the exact same
reason. The amount of annealing required is based on the thickness of the
glass, not the techniques used to heat the glass.
For more info on annealing, go to Henry Halem's site www.glassnotes.com.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

Old October 11th 03, 09:56 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article Zd_gb.522935$Oz4.380565@rwcrnsc54,
"Pam" wrote:

when they say the kiln fuses glass - does that also imply that it will
anneal glass beads?

(I'm looking at the PMC Kiln in the riogrande catalog, pg. 12 - wondering if
there is a better option that will do both glass bead annealing and PMC?)

thanks
Pam

Any kiln that holds the temp at annealing point (roughly 960-970 for
Moretti) for the requisite amount of time, and can cool slowly, can be
used to anneal glass. Does it have a digital controller, or would you
have to sit next to it and babysit the temperature?.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe

using a crock pot instead of a kiln? Pam Beads 12 October 6th 03 01:59 AM
Seeking Kiln Advice saucy Beads 5 August 11th 03 04:18 AM
Kiln saucy Beads 18 August 7th 03 03:09 AM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM