on floss

Old August 12th 12, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default on floss

Well - I'm not sure just where to start.

I.
I now have a Hobby Lobby near by and I was very excited to see they had
some Mill Hill and Kreinik. Then all the Kreinik went on close out. (Yes
I bought a bunch). Beads seem to have just moved.

Then "Artiste Metallics" showed up. Not buying a whole package of
various colors just to try it

Then all the DMC Variation went on clearance along with the perle
cottons. (yes, still stocking up or using for my floss swap).

Now they have some Sullivan's which I will try and "Artiste Ombres"
which look like short skeins of various space dyes which look a lot like
DMC Variations.
'
II
Got my latest Just Cross Stitch. Most amused to see that there is full
sized ad from DMC about "look a likes" flosses. AND a free skein of
Sullivan's with a Halloween themed book mark chart.

III
Still a floss junkie and am really enjoying my latest WIP - a watering
can from Silver Needle Secret Needle Night. I watch for them on eBay as
I don't want to sign up for monthly kits myself - most aren't for me.
(Not a holiday stitcher, but you knew that already). What I like best
is that I get to try a lot of different flosses/fibers with out
investing a lot. Love Very Velvet, not too fond of metallic ribbon while
I'm stitching it, but love the look when I'm done.

Cheryl

Old August 20th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 8/12/2012 7:16 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I.
Now they have some Sullivan's which I will try and "Artiste Ombres"
which look like short skeins of various space dyes which look a lot like
DMC Variations.
'
II
Got my latest Just Cross Stitch. Most amused to see that there is full
sized ad from DMC about "look a likes" flosses. AND a free skein of
Sullivan's with a Halloween themed book mark chart.

Just before the issue came out, Arliss (former ng member) had ranted to
me about the HL and Hancock Fabrics in Bismarck selling the Sullivans
floss and she was *not* going to start buying another brand. I haven't
yet tried it but I think it looks fuzzier than DMC (not as tightly
twisted) and has less sheen. Haven't actually held up strands next to
each other for a comparison but...

She wrote to the manager at HL and here was the reply:
"I am the buyer for the embroider floss and needle art department and I
appreciate your email and your feedback and I want to assure that I will
not be discontinuing the DMC floss, with that being said I want to let
you know we have done a perle floss that is the exact same thread fiber
as the DMC but it is the Artiste label , we will be offering a lot of
new and additional colors and let me assure you that the floss is a
premium thread exactly as the DMC you are used to using. The floss is
just now hitting the stores so please try it and I welcome your feedback
on it as well. To address the Sullivans floss we are excited to offer
our customers more choices with a lower cost , Hobby Lobby strives to
provide the best quality product at the best price and we do our best to
offer a large selection to all of our customers, we appreciate your
shopping at Hobby Lobby ..."

My comment to Arliss and question to Sullivans is "Why?" Any
half-serious stitcher already has the entire run of DMC. Why would they
want to start another set of *the same colors* (or "comparable" in their
words)???? It would have made much more sense to offer colors DMC
doesn't (remember MLI and her floss color issues with DMC?).

The only good reason would be if it really were as good as DMC and half
the price, not that DMC is expensive. I'm still not going to shell out,
hmmm, .39x454=$177 (not including tax) for the same colors I already have.

--
Joan

See my needlework he
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndjoan

Unknown

Floss Question Margaret Wilson Needlework 4 April 21st 06 12:15 PM
It's about floss . . . . lewmew Needlework 1 November 9th 05 09:34 PM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 04:49 AM
dmc floss raiderchic Needlework 8 December 5th 03 03:05 PM
Yet another use for floss Cheryl Isaak Needlework 11 December 2nd 03 09:27 AM