Ideas for a hug quilt that will be quick to piece and finish?

Old September 19th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Default Ideas for a hug quilt that will be quick to piece and finish?

Hello,

As some of you know, I am the "Queen of Procrastination," aka the "Empress
of UFOs." I need some ideas for a lap size hug quilt. I need something
that will be easy to piece and quilt. However, since I'm not particularly
good at MQing unless the block size is relatively small, I will need to
employ the quilt as you go method. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

- dlm. in central MA

Old September 19th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

On Sep 19, 6:53?am, "- dlm." wrote:
Hello,

As some of you know, I am the "Queen of Procrastination," aka the "Empress
of UFOs." I need some ideas for a lap size hug quilt. I need something
that will be easy to piece and quilt. However, since I'm not particularly
good at MQing unless the block size is relatively small, I will need to
employ the quilt as you go method. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

- dlm. in central MA

The ragged quilt is quick and fun. It can be done in triangles or
squares.

Old September 19th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

I like the strata quilts, some call them noodles you can quilt as you
go also,One of everyone's favorites is just plain old scrap 4,5, 6"
squares sewn together randomly, only wide enough to fit a backing
(40-45: wide) for a lap quilt or make four panels, quick turn and
tie.....we make lots of these and plenty of people are thrilled with
the fluffy softness of them, you could get fancy and do an adult I
spy ....or a friend does lots of these, ahe picks a fabric, for large
square,8" or so then does strips of cordinating color around ala log
cabin...voila`....interesting but not incredibly time consuming....
Mauvice in Central Wi

Old September 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I don't know if there is an accepted name for what I'm about to
describe, I've seen it called "I spy with a twist" when diagonally set.
but I was thinking straight set.

You need a medium or large print fabric (or several coordinating if you
prefer), then two colours, plain, tone on tone, whatever floats your
boat, I just did it with sparkly fabric!

You make two different blocks, one is the snowball block, a square with
triangles at each corner, use the same colour on one diagnonal and the
other on the other.

The other block is partially pieced, so you sew 5 times to get 4
rectangles around a square, the opposite sides being the same colour.
The rectangles are cut the same width as the squares used to make the
corners in the other block.

You lay them all out so it looks like a woven lattice. Here's a picture
of one I did like this for my son
http://pics.livejournal.com/annekrogers/pic/00009pew/g8

Cheers
Anne
Old September 20th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

"Idahoqltr" wrote in message ...
The ragged quilt is quick and fun. It can be done in triangles or
squares.

Thanks! I'll check google for pics of what this looks like!

- dlm. in central MA

Old September 20th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

"Mauvice in central WI" wrote in message
ups.com...
I like the strata quilts, some call them noodles you can quilt as you
go also,One of everyone's favorites is just plain old scrap 4,5, 6"
squares sewn together randomly, only wide enough to fit a backing
(40-45: wide) for a lap quilt or make four panels, quick turn and
tie.....we make lots of these and plenty of people are thrilled with
the fluffy softness of them, you could get fancy and do an adult I
spy ....or a friend does lots of these, ahe picks a fabric, for large
square,8" or so then does strips of cordinating color around ala log
cabin...voila`....interesting but not incredibly time consuming....
Mauvice in Central Wi

Hmmm...this sounds interesting, too! Thanks!

- dlm. in central MA

Old September 20th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

"Anne Rogers" wrote...
[...]

What an adorable quilt! This too has possibilities. Thanks!

- dlm. in central MA

Old September 20th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I don't know about a quilt-as-you-go method, but I did a large (almost twin)
lap hug quilt in 10 days, while working overtime at my regular job. I used
a Charm Star pattern but did not have time to make it a true charm quilt.
Also, I used a white with widely scattered mini-dots for the star points, as
that made places for signatures. It worked out very well.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

. ..

Old September 20th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roz Agulnik

A very easy idea is to use striped fabric, cut it in squares of any size you
want, and then them down in rows alternating the stripe in each square. Put
on a border or two. Then you just have to do staight line quilting on an
angle through the squares. Take care, Roz in montreal

Old September 20th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

"Roz Agulnik" wrote in message
A very easy idea is to use striped fabric, cut it in squares of any size
you want, and then them down in rows alternating the stripe in each square.
Put on a border or two. Then you just have to do staight line quilting on
an angle through the squares. Take care, Roz in montreal

Thanks for another great suggestion! I need to have a rootle about in my
(relatively) extensive stash to see if anything "stripy" jumps out at me...

- dlm. in central MA

Finished a crazy quilt piece Lisa Caryl Quilting 16 June 12th 05 06:43 PM
Quilt Festival visit #2: World Piece FurrsomeFoursome Quilting 0 May 28th 05 08:20 PM
quick quilt ideas CNYstitcher Quilting 25 August 21st 04 01:46 PM
quick ideas? CNYstitcher Quilting 1 February 25th 04 08:51 PM
Need advice to finish this quilt. nana2b Quilting 2 July 29th 03 06:33 PM