OT flight to Hawaii

Old February 27th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

Default OT flight to Hawaii

Hi,
We are finally going to go to Hawaii for our anniversary. We meant to go
last year for our 10th anniversary, but a year late is better than never.
I seem to recall someone mentioning it was cheaper to fly out of someplace
in California, possibly San Deiago(sp?). I was wondering if anybody remembers
where exactly we should fly to and spend the night, before flying to Hawaii?
We will probably start the journey out of Boston's airport. Our ultimate
desination is Kauai.
-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o

|/\ / Let it snow!!
http://www.silverthorn.org/mstjohn
///

Old February 27th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
headway

On Feb 27, 7:11*am, "Margaret St. John"
wrote:
Hi,
We are finally going to go to Hawaii for our anniversary. We meant to go
last year for our 10th anniversary, but a year late is better than never.
I seem to recall someone mentioning it was cheaper to fly out of someplace
in California, possibly San Deiago(sp?). I was wondering if anybody remembers
where exactly we should fly to and spend the night, before flying to Hawaii?
We will probably start the journey out of Boston's airport. Our ultimate
desination is Kauai.
-Margaret

Margaret...

When we went to Kauai a few years ago, we flew up to San Francisco
first, then from there to Hawaii - it worked out much cheaper... I am
not sure why, or if it would still be the same, but it sure worked
then!

Have fun and make sure you walk onto the lava flow - it is
amazing!!!!!!

Hugs, Dee
Old February 27th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

wrote:
Hi,
We are finally going to go to Hawaii for our anniversary. We meant to go
last year for our 10th anniversary, but a year late is better than never.
I seem to recall someone mentioning it was cheaper to fly out of someplace
in California, possibly San Deiago(sp?). I was wondering if anybody remembers
where exactly we should fly to and spend the night, before flying to Hawaii?
We will probably start the journey out of Boston's airport. Our ultimate
desination is Kauai.
-Margaret

Oakland to Honalulu is about $350 round trip.

Old February 28th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Margaret St. John wrote:
Hi,
We are finally going to go to Hawaii for our anniversary. We meant to go
last year for our 10th anniversary, but a year late is better than never.
I seem to recall someone mentioning it was cheaper to fly out of someplace
in California, possibly San Deiago(sp?). I was wondering if anybody remembers
where exactly we should fly to and spend the night, before flying to Hawaii?
We will probably start the journey out of Boston's airport. Our ultimate
desination is Kauai.
-Margaret

I don't remember there being a flight from Sand Diego to Hawaii.
You can fly from LA or from one of the San Francisco airport. I *think*
there are flights from Seattle also but am just not sure. We have
always flown out of LAX when we went. Have you checked
http://www.pleasantholidays.com for a flight, etc.? I just looked and
they are having a 2 for 2 sale of some sort. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these
people (NAYY). We have made at least 8 trips to Hawaii booked through
them and they *always* have great deals on airfare, hotels, rental car,
etc. I'm not sure but they *might* be able to help with a room near the
airport in California, too -- it's worth asking.
We have been to Kauai about a dozen times now and it is wonderful.
You used to be able to book a flight direct from LAX to Kauai -- no
stops anywhere and it's much nicer than having to fly to Honolulu and
then changing planes. I'm not sure if there are any direct flights to
Kauai anymore but you could check that out. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old February 28th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-02-28, Tia Mary wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information Tia MAry. I'll definetly look into it.
-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o

Old February 29th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-02-29, ejk wrote:

Alaska Airlines flies directly from Seattle to Lihue, Kauai. (Can't remember
where you are Margaret)

Kauai is gorgeous - it's not called The Garden Isle for nothing - but it's a
lot quieter than Maui or Oahu.

Check out Kapaia Stitchery on the road between Lihue and Kapa'a. Despite the
name they have far more fabric than stitchery items but they do carry some
Hawaiian kits and canvases.

Enjoy!

Eimear
PS someone mentioned lava fields. Kauai's volcanoes are dormant and there
are no lava fields there.

Thanks for the info Eimear, but I'm in MA.Kapaia Stitchery sounds like fun.

We picked Kauai specifically, becuase we heard it was one of the quieter islands

-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o

Old February 29th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Margaret St. John wrote:
Thanks for the info Eimear, but I'm in MA.Kapaia Stitchery sounds like fun.

We picked Kauai specifically, becuase we heard it was one of the quieter islands

-Margaret

How long will you be on Kauai? As Eimear said, it's absolutely
lovely and much more laid back than the other Islands -- except for
Molokai :-). If you book anything through Pleasant Holidays, they will
have an orientation for you to attend the morning after your arrival on
the island. **ATTEND** this orientation because they often offer great
deals on sightseeing and general info about what to do on the island.
We have been to Kauai about a dozen times now and we still attend the
orientation to book any stuff we want to do.
The last time we were there -- 2005 I think -- we booked a NaPali
boat trip at the Pleasant Hawaiian orientation. The NaPali coast is
inaccessible except by foot (VERY difficult hiking) or by boat. Since
neither of us was qualified to be taking a boat into difficult waters,
our only option was to go on one of the commercial cruises. It was a
wonderful trip with beverages, small b'fast when we left in the early
morning and then a light lunch on the way back. We had a dolphin escort
most of the way too :-).
We like to attend "haole" tourist luaus now and again and usually
book that at the orientation, too. If you want to attend a luau,
Kauai's tourist luau's are usually the nicest as they aren't as large as
those on the other, more heavily traveled Islands. You can always just
ask the front desk at your hotel and they will book one for you if you
don't do Pleasant H'wan. We have gone to a luau in Hanalei that was
given in one of the "non tourist" restaurants. It is the one the locals
take their guests but I can't for the life of me remember the name. The
only problem with doing a "locals" luau is that they offer a lot more of
the local foods and a lot of haoles (that's us, the anglo main-landers)
don't care for it. If Smith's still offer a luau, that's the one I
would recommend.
Speaking of Smith's, THAT is one place you need to go. In the past
they offered boat trips up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto of movie
fame. Fern Grotto is a lovely place and if you are lucky, you will get
to see a wedding party! Smith's also used to have a beautiful sort of
botanical park you could walk through with lots of peacocks wandering
around and all of the H'wan plants beautifully laid out. It was sort of
a Japanese style gardens and well worth the money. One time we were
there, we arrived just as the gardens opened and we got to see the kane
(men) wrapping up the pig and putting it into the imu (in ground
roasting pit) to be cooked for the luau that evening. The roast pig is
called Kahlua Pig and it is scrumptious -- if you like pork that is :-).
If you want to see the mountain used as Bali Ha'i in the movie South
Pacific, go to the end of the Circle Island road (can't remember the
name but it's the only road that mostly circles the island), through
Princeville and Hanalei and ending up at Ka'a Beach. Walk out onto the
beach and look up to your left and you will se the most ethereal sight
imaginable -- this is the mountain used in the movie. Nurse's Beach
(from the movie) is Lumaha'i Beach and it looks nothing at all like the
beach in the movie. It's a huge, long stretch of lovely beach that is
very deep so suitable for filming with all the people and cameras used.
For the movie, they brought in tons of palm trees and tropical plants
because the beach itself is bordered by huge trees like cottonwoods or
some such!
If you go the other way on the circle Island road, you can take the
turn off for Poipu Beach. This is where a lot of the "hoity toity"
hotels and really expensive homes are. The beach itself -- Breneke's
Beach -- is really nice and has a naturally shallow area that is great
for the keikis (kids) or folks who don't really swim. We got there
early in the morning one time and there were two HUGE monk seals hauled
up on the beach and the life guard was putting yellow "caution" tape
around them because they are an endangered species. It was just
wonderful to see! At the end of the road that runs along the beach, you
will come to the Spouting Horn Blowhole. You have never seen or heard
anything like this -- trust MOI :-)! There is a hole in the lava that
forms the beach and as the waves come in, they are funneled up through
this hole and make a huge plume of gushing water that goes 30 or 40 feet
into the air! The noise sounds like an elephant in distress and it's
truly amazing. Also, there are locals with little booths set up where
they sell all sorts of local and foreign made jewelry and neat touristy
stuff -- well worth a look!
Back on the circle Island road you will end up near Barking Sands
Beach which is controlled by the Navy -- sometimes you can get onto the
beach, sometimes not. Before Barking Sands, you can take the turn off
to Waimea Canyon State Park which is an ABSOLUTE MUST! If you do
nothing else, you must go to Waimea Canyon. Mark Twain named it the
Grand Canyon of the Pacific and it is truly spectacular. Nowhere near
as big as the Grand Canyon but truly a sight to see!
There are so many things to see and do on Kauai -- all of wonderful
-- LOL! I could go on forever but I've rambled enough!! VBS -- I can't
wait until DH retires and we move back to Lizard Land. Once there, it
will be much easier to fly to Hawaii. From the East coast it is just
expensive to do very often! We used to go every 2 or 3 years and now we
have only been once in the last eight years! Oh well -- something to
look forward to! When will you be going? If you can go before June or
after July, you will get a much better deal on your hotel. The weather
isn't much different throughout the year -- less rainy in the summer is
all -- so that's not really a factor. Please let us know what you
decide OK? I can enjoy the trip vicariously through what you tell us

Old March 3rd 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-02-29, Tia Mary wrote:
There are so many things to see and do on Kauai -- all of wonderful

Great info snipped
-- LOL! I could go on forever but I've rambled enough!! VBS -- I can't
wait until DH retires and we move back to Lizard Land. Once there, it
will be much easier to fly to Hawaii. From the East coast it is just
expensive to do very often! We used to go every 2 or 3 years and now we
have only been once in the last eight years! Oh well -- something to
look forward to! When will you be going? If you can go before June or
after July, you will get a much better deal on your hotel. The weather
isn't much different throughout the year -- less rainy in the summer is
all -- so that's not really a factor. Please let us know what you
decide OK? I can enjoy the trip vicariously through what you tell us
:-)))! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Hi Tia MAry,

I need to go over your post in detail. I've already printed it to add to
our trip folder I am working on. We will be on the Island 7 days the first
week of Sept. We exchanged our time share to the Hanalei Bay Resort, so
cost of the hotel is not an issue. Our issue is the cheapest way to get there.
We are tempted to fly out of San Deiago to finally get a chance to see the zoo.
Neither of us have been to California, so adding a day to our trip to do that
would be nice. It may be too costly to do, so we may not. We also need to see
how long of a vaction we can get approved.

-Margaret
--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o