Knitting with Fibro

Old June 7th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

Default Knitting with Fibro

LOL!

This is kind of in response to someone else who mentioned having
fribromyalgia and how you have to knit for short periods rather than long
stretches of time.

I too have fibro. I also have some problems with my memory, or at least I
must have because I put my knitting down a few minutes ago after knitting
for about two hours. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, why I
was so tired and ached all over. D'oh!

Half an hour, maybe an hour at a time is more than enough, especially when
it's hobby knitting and not knitting for a deadline. ;-)

Murielle

Old June 8th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jun 8, 9:49 am, "MSey" wrote:
Half an hour, maybe an hour at a time is more than enough, especially when
it's hobby knitting and not knitting for a deadline. ;-)

I'd say that's more than enough for anyone at one time! After an hour
it would be time to put the kettle on for a cuppa anyway, let alone
give muscles a rest. Computer workers aren't recommended to work
solidly for more than an hour without a decent break either.

VP

Old June 8th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 8, 9:49 am, "MSey" wrote:
Half an hour, maybe an hour at a time is more than enough, especially

when
it's hobby knitting and not knitting for a deadline. ;-)

I'd say that's more than enough for anyone at one time! After an hour
it would be time to put the kettle on for a cuppa anyway, let alone
give muscles a rest. Computer workers aren't recommended to work
solidly for more than an hour without a decent break either.

VP

I used to be able to knit for hours while watching TV. Maybe it's the
fibro, maybe it's my age. Or, maybe, back then, it just seemed like hours.
;-))

Murielle

Old June 8th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

VP wrote:

On Jun 8, 9:49 am, "MSey" wrote:
Half an hour, maybe an hour at a time is more than enough, especially
when
it's hobby knitting and not knitting for a deadline. ;-)

I'd say that's more than enough for anyone at one time! After an hour
it would be time to put the kettle on for a cuppa anyway, let alone
give muscles a rest. Computer workers aren't recommended to work
solidly for more than an hour without a decent break either.

Well...when one does medical transcription and needs to work between
schlepping the kids to and from school and various other things, one
works when one can. I pretty much type straight through from 10 AM
until 2 PM, and again from about 4 PM until I'm done for the day, only
taking breaks to make dinner and, if I'm particularly swamped, put the
little one to bed. Any wonder my nerve damage has been showing itself
lately???

And then what do I do if I have time after I'm finished typing to
relax?? Knit, of course g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old June 8th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"The Other Kim" wrote in message
VP wrote:

On Jun 8, 9:49 am, "MSey" wrote:
[...]

Exactly! Because knitting is relaxing. ;-)

Murielle

Old June 8th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Hi VP,

I've found when programming that doing exactly what you wrote actually
_increases_ the speed of writing my plug-ins! - it somehow seems to expand
my creativity and problem-solving. :-)

David

--
David R. Sky
http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/

Old June 8th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jun 8, 5:37 pm, "David R. Sky" wrote:
I've found when programming that doing exactly what you wrote actually
_increases_ the speed of writing my plug-ins! - it somehow seems to expand
my creativity and problem-solving. :-)

Indeed. Though this is a lesson that can't be taught to the average
student in my experience, they equate "screen time" with productivity
despite plenty of evidece to the contrary. It's a bit like trying to
do a jigsaw puzzle, there is a point in one session where no matter
how long you stare at the pieces you can't find the bit you want. Get
up, do something else and come back to it - chances are good you'll
spot the piece you want in the first minute.

I often solve problems as I drift off to sleep - my subconcious sorts
the logic and I have an "ah ha" moment, if I'm really lucky I manage
to scrawl a few notes before I drift off, otherwise I often realise I
can't remember my "brilliant" solution the next morning.

VP

Old June 8th 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default OT Hypnagogic state was Knitting with Fibro

I've solved many programming problems as I drifted off to sleep too - the
way I remember them is to wake up enough to deliberately picture the program
code in my mind plus generate a feeling of the solution. It doesn't make
sense for me to try to explain the feeling - it means something to my mind
at the time I'm in bed. :-)

I understand that Thomas Edison developed a strategy - when he was trying to
figure out something, he'd put a tin plate on the floor underneath one of
his hands as he sat in a comfortable chair, holding a piece of cutlery in
the hand above the plate. As he drifted off to sleep and entered the
so-called hypnagogic state you referred to, his hand relaxed enough to let
the cutlery drop on the plate, which would wake him from the solution
brewing in his mind.

David

Old June 8th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:37:34 -0700, "David R. Sky"
wrote:

Hi VP,

I've found when programming that doing exactly what you wrote actually
_increases_ the speed of writing my plug-ins! - it somehow seems to expand
my creativity and problem-solving. :-)

For programming or anything else that requires serious thinking, that
is certainly true. However, doing medical transcription, as Kim does,
doesn't really require thinking, and actually I find that I can blaze
away at those kinds of things if I get myself into a zone where I'm
not much thinking at all. Taking a break requires time to get back to
the zone.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.