To: TimG, Melinda, DAB and David Skye

Old May 30th 07, 09:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Default TimG, Melinda, DAB and David Skye

Sorry Mirjam...the kid [Tim] that was asking for someone to send him the
book to borrow said he lived in
Malaysia

..
Donna

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
ow i am tottaly confused , somebody speaks about QUEEN NOOR and the
next writer writes HIS part of the world ....
His who ? what country ,,, Jordan isn`t to be compared with India in
anyway specially not in class [social or economical ] matters ...
mirjam

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Hey, DAB, thanks for replying to this. The original message never
Mae it to my news server.

NP however I snipped out most of it.....which was quite a ramble.

Go read in Queen Noor Al-Hussein's autobiography/memoirs, Leap of
Faith, about what she did to help the desperately-poor people of
Jordan is to work to give them opportunities to market locally-made
handcrafts internationally. The workers did not need to ask for
handouts. They used locally-available materials and Queen Noor made
a way for them to be showcased internationally so that they would be
sold and these crafters would earn money to help support their
families. It was phenomenally successful and an excellent model to
use.

I bought the book when it hit the stores.....very good read. My
work brings me in contact with foreign nationals and I can say that
in his part of the world there are no middle classes....like
India.....The wealthy and the Poor. I have a friendship with a
Jordian woman...her husband is assigned here for 2 years, she has
been very bored and myself and another knitting friend has taught
her to knit......she comes to our monthly meetings at the local
Library and came for the first time to the Guild Meeting.....she was
very well received and got a kick out of show and tell.....she has
after only a few months knitted a hat and scarf for one of her young
sons.

Anyway take care and be well!

Donna

Old May 30th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
ow i am tottaly confused , somebody speaks about QUEEN NOOR and the
next writer writes HIS part of the world ....
His who ? what country ,,, Jordan isn`t to be compared with India in
anyway specially not in class [social or economical ] matters ...

We weren't talking about India. We were talking about empowering
impoverished people to enable them to become self-supporting and whether
or not providing them with unlimited handouts from richer people is a
better way to accomplish that as compared to teaching them to develop
their own way of earning a living.
Old May 30th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Can Someone explain to me how anybody can say bad things about any one
here ?????
mirjam
TRASHsonic.net wrote:

Boo hoo! I am only seeing what she wrote when people quote it back!

"Lisa" wrote in message
I will make no more responses and will be unsubscribing to this

newsgroup.
I am certain that this will make some of you happy. FYI: I came

here with
an open mind and heart. I came to learn and SHARE. I thought I

would find

Old May 30th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Donna that clarifies it ,,,,
for a moment i thought i was confused ,,,
mirjam

Sorry Mirjam...the kid [Tim] that was asking for someone to send him the
book to borrow said he lived in
Malaysia

.
Donna

Old May 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Can Someone explain to me how anybody can say bad things about any one
here ?????
mirjam

Aah Mirjam, this person whom none of us know, came on here, made all kinds
of unfounded accusations about some of the people who responded to the kid
from Malaysia. She didn't agree with some of the posters and decided to
give them a big lecture. I wouldn't worry about it. It wasn't worth the
electronic paper it was written on.

Shelagh

Old May 30th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Don't worry...I stay in a continual state of confusion......somethimes I am
better off that way ;-)

Donna

Old May 31st 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I am sorry you haven`t answered my question ,,
When it comes to these subjects i speak almost from within the field,
i spent almost 3 years of my life enhancing and enriching courses that
were meant to give Diplomas [earning abilities] To young people who
wanted to become instructors for Handwork and Art instructors.
When i noted that certain parts of the poulation would not come to the
system i worked with the system to move the courses to places where
this poulation could easily come and study.
We also adjusted some of the courses to habits and traditions of
certain populations, without lowering the requested abilities ,
I also built up courses for maters that were missing localy ,
something you can`t do from far away, but have to do while you are in
the class room. We were very lucky some of our ex pupils , aren`t
only teaching but have launched a carreer of artists them selves.
mirjam

Old May 31st 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well, Mirjam, then I guess I don't know enough about what you are
talking about to have thought about it. What was being discussed here
was, is it helping someone out of poverty to encourage them to continue
to solicit handouts, or is it helping someone out of poverty to
encourage them to develop a way to earn a living in a self-sufficient
manner? I vote (b), but obviously someone else felt that (a) was the
better option *shrug*

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I am sorry you haven`t answered my question ,,

OT - Skye photos Johanna Gibson Quilting 15 June 2nd 06 07:28 PM
OT - Skye Johanna Gibson Quilting 10 May 23rd 06 11:47 AM
OT...Melinda Meahan Barbara Raper Quilting 0 December 26th 04 05:55 PM