Aluminum powder?

Old December 11th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Vince

Default Aluminum powder?

Hi folks,

I'm just getting started with fusing and was able to get a bunch of
equipment and supplies from someone going out of business dirt cheap. They
threw in about 400 lbs. of aluminum powder. Since my only previous
experience with the stuff has been using it to start damp campfires, I'm a
little apprehensive about sprinkling it on the glass and firing it up to
1500F. Not sure how else to use it, though, other than mix it with bead
release and make homemade sparklers. Have any of you had any
experience/luck/catastrophic fires with Al powder? Thanks!

VJ

Old December 11th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Good reason to be concerned as it is potentially dangerous. You need to
know the size of the Al particles, IIRC the finer the more the problem.
A fireworks manufacturer would probably be able to advise. In the US I
have read you have regulations regarding the transport of more dangerous
grades if shipped in sufficient quantity which may only be lbs. I would
suspect though that if the guy had 400lbs of a hazardous grade he would
have been subject to appropriate government regs especially after 9/11,
worth checking though as they could just have passed on the
responsibility to you although legally I don't think they can do that.

Old December 12th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

you sure it isn't alumina powder? that stuff is used more as a release agent
instead of kiln wash???? fusing aluminum powder does not produce any
desirable effects in my experience. I was given a bunch of various metallic
powders from cosmetic testing and tested them all.....m

.. .

Old December 12th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut

Vince wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm just getting started with fusing and was able to get a bunch of
equipment and supplies from someone going out of business dirt cheap.

They
threw in about 400 lbs. of aluminum powder. Since my only previous
experience with the stuff has been using it to start damp campfires, I'm

little apprehensive about sprinkling it on the glass and firing it up to
1500F. Not sure how else to use it, though, other than mix it with bead
release and make homemade sparklers. Have any of you had any
experience/luck/catastrophic fires with Al powder? Thanks!

VJ

Aluminum Oxide? Usually sold in large bags, 50 lbs -100 lbs. different
grit, most common in my area is 60-80?
Used in air abrasive techniques, I hesitate to say "sand blasting" when
using this instead of sand. Used generally in a reclaiming situation,booth
or tabletop cabinet, so it can be reused.

Is there a package of some sort with any kind of label?

Old December 14th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Vince

It's definitely aluminum powder. One drum is a mix of aluminum and copper
powder, the rest is all "brilliant aluminum" powder (with some mineral
spirits and fatty acids content as well). Sounds like it was probably used
in some other part of his operations, not the glassworking. I'll talk with
the fire marshal about how to get rid of the stuff. Thanks again for the
advice!

Vince

Old December 14th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Vince you might want to post these latest details on
rec.crafts.metalworking as at least one of the regulars has pyrotechnic
experience and he and others there may be able to shed light on the uses
for these materials.

"Javahut" wrote in message

"michele" wrote in message

you sure it isn't alumina powder? that stuff is used more as a release

agent

instead of kiln wash???? fusing aluminum powder does not produce any
desirable effects in my experience. I was given a bunch of various

metallic

powders from cosmetic testing and tested them all.....m

k...

Old December 18th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Diadem

Can you post more details from the label?

Company of manufacture
Grade
Date
Lot#

Old December 18th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
krackerjack9

well if it is aluminum powder im sure if you wanted to sell it say for
$3.00lb your email would have over 1000 replys by the end of the day.

Finally, a use for aluminum DPNs Wooly Yarn 6 October 3rd 06 06:07 PM
Hand Wrought Aluminum Giftware Cornerstone Forge Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 05:18 PM
Aluminum and Hot glass jk Glass 9 May 11th 04 02:10 AM
Wholeale & Retail Distributor for quality aluminum eyelets - USA made! Bizzy Bee Rubberstamps 0 December 19th 03 07:20 PM
Embossing powder and embossing tinsel for sale WKT Rubberstamps 3 August 27th 03 01:52 AM