Bisque Fire question

Old September 11th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Default Bisque Fire question

So....

I accidently used Cone "4" to bisque fire a large number of vases,
mugs, bowls etc.... Obviously I meant to use Cone "04"...

Anyone know what the result is going to be? I'm going to do a test
glaze fire shortly however I'm worried the pots are not going to accept
any glaze.

Thanks

-Steve

Old September 11th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

) writes:
So....

I accidently used Cone "4" to bisque fire a large number of vases,
mugs, bowls etc.... Obviously I meant to use Cone "04"...

Anyone know what the result is going to be? I'm going to do a test
glaze fire shortly however I'm worried the pots are not going to accept
any glaze.

Thanks
-Steve

You won't get as thick a coat of glaze as the body won't be porous enough
to suck up a normal amount of glaze. If you have a particular look for a
glaze you probably won't get it. Best to go with transparent or
flat glazes that will look okay thin.

I saw pots by a novice who thought you had to bisque to glaze firing
temp. She bisqued to cone 10!! High fire stoneware. Then she
glaze fired to cone 10. Thin transparent glaze but they were glazed.
We were amazed.

Elaine
Old September 11th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

This actually happened in a studio I used to volunteer at (only worse -
fired to cone6). The glazes we use worked just fine. Getting the glazes
think enough was a problem (people heated their pots, used corn syrup,
glazed, heated, glazed again, etc.). Clear worked without any issue at all.
Inside of bowls and such were easy enough to get think. Outside was tricky.
These are for cone6 oxidation. I don't know if seeing them will be of use
but here a few of them are.

Bate's Clear
Clear
Glossy
6
Works nicely over other glazes

Feldspar--Kona F4 3500
Flint 2200
Gerstley Borate--1999 1800
Kaolin--EPK 1000
Strontium Carbonate 800
Whiting 800

Floating Blue/Green
Opalescent Blue-Green
Glossy
6
Really nice when nice!

Nepheline Syenite 4730
Gerstley Borate--1999 2700
Flint 2030
Kaolin--EPK 540
Cobalt Oxide 100
Iron Oxide--Red 200
Rutile 400

Weathered Bronze Green
light green to dark brown
Matt
6
Pinnell's

Nepheline Syenite 4920
Strontium Carbonate 1990
Ball Clay-Old Mine #4 1790
Flint 800
Lithium Carbonate 500
Titanium Dioxide 130
Copper Carbonate 670

Toby's Red
earthy red
satin gloss opaque
6
small
segar
rich and lovely but uses gerstley

Gerstley Borate--1999 3200
Flint 3000
Feldspar--Kona F4 2000
Talc 1400
Kaolin--EPK 500
Iron Oxide--Red 1515

oups.com...

Old September 11th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Steve,

We've met this one before!

Our usual advice is to warm up the pots until you can barely touch them,
then dunk them in the glaze. That way you get a much thicker coat than
if you glazed them cold. The surface may be a bit frail, but if you add
about 2 percent Gum Arabic to the glaze, that will help, and won't hurt
when you next glaze some 04 bisc.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article .com,

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 12th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
SKrause

Steve Mills wrote:
[...]

Excellent! thanks for the help everyone. I'll give these suggestions
a try and let you know how it works out!

Thanks again!

Old September 12th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Apparently my thinking about typos (collecting them for research interests
sake) worked really well for generating data. That (originally typed This -
my I am working overtime) is THICK not think.

"DKat" wrote in message
This actually happened in a studio I used to volunteer at (only worse -
fired to cone6). The glazes we use worked just fine. Getting the glazes
thick enough was a problem (people heated their pots, glazed, heated,
glazed again, , used corn syrup, etc.). Clear worked without any issue
at all. Inside of bowls and such were easy enough to get thick. Outside

Old September 12th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

i have some pots that were no glaze, fired to cone 10, thinking the
clay body would look good. sometimes they do work nicely. we don't
always have to glaze pots for a nice result.

~ but these were blah.

so i glazed them & put them thru raku.

~ they came out great!

the key was/is that the raku glazes were mixed on the thick side, the
pieces had thin walls, and the pieces were fired slowly to give them a
chance to heat up without cracking the clay body.

see ya

steve