An interesting development

Old May 10th 04, 02:55 AM
Bungadora

Default An interesting development

This is a bit longer than usual. My boss at the import store (part time job)
asked me to make jewelry for the store. As some of you may recall, I just took
an earring class last week, so it can't possibly be for the quality of work.
I'm more inclined to think it is out of convenience. He has a lot of beads he
has bought at different shows, and is probably going to Bali again this year,
so I won't have to lay out very much money. We don't have any findings, except
what I bought last week at the show. I'll be able to recover the cost for
whatever findings I supply from my stock. We're buying more findings this week.

I look at it as an opportunity to practise and build skills. I am supposed to
do it on my work time, so when I am 'working', I will be able to sit and play
with beads. So I don't make any extra money. He gets the profit from whatever
is sold. So far he has put out two bracelets and one sold within two days.

I told him I couldn't do anything complicated yet, and he said that's OK,
simple is what he want. Although as the situation has evolved, he has started
to suggest I do some research and find some designs to copy. (Arrrrgh!)

He's a bit paranoid, and is always afraid of staff stealing from him. He also
stashes things in little corners and forgets where they are like a squirrel. So
I'm a bit apprehensive about having to deal with that. We used to have a staff
member who stole jewelry. I think in some cases he suspected me of stealing as
well because our shifts would sometimes overlap.

On the other hand I get to go to the 'trade' jewelry show in June. Hee hee. (if
my boss doesn't drive me absolutely bonkers ducking up and down the aisles
dodging people he doesn't want to talk to, and futzing around)

Wish me luck. I might need it.

Dora
Old May 11th 04, 02:56 PM
Bungadora

Thanks. Yes, I'm costing everything out on the store computer and mine, and
keeping track insofar as I can because he doesn't tell me how much everything
costs. The profit on the first three bracelets I made should pay for the course
and initial materials.

I've known him for several years and am most concerned about going to the trade
show with him. He's going to drive me nuts and interfere with my shopping
experience.

Another thing I have to watch is putting in my personal time and money. I've
already made several expenditures I would not have otherwise made because of
his little project.
Dora

Margie

Good luck and be careful with him. As soon as you're comfortable with
your experience and designs make him pay you extra, watch his profit.
I get a feeling that won't take very long because you have a good eye
for what components compliment each other.

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old May 11th 04, 08:16 PM
Christina Peterson

When I have gone to Market, or a trade show, on the company's dime (they
paid the airfare, hotel room, etc) and as a representative of the company's
store (they were the retailer who was invited to the wholesale event), I was
free to do my own thing. But only after putting in about 10 or 12 hours of
shopping for the store.

I don't know if this is the same sort of thing that will be expected of you.
I am guessing this is a strictly wholesale event, so spend some time
arranging to get invited to the show next year as in independent business
owner.

Tina

Old May 12th 04, 12:17 AM
Bungadora

Margie

That's what I was a little concerned about but I can tell you're
already paying attention to this.

It's in the genes.
Dora
Old May 12th 04, 12:22 AM
Bungadora

I suspect it will be more like 3 or 4 hours that feels like 12 hours. I'm a
fairly decisive shopper. My boss is not. Fortunately, he only knows a few
jewelry wholesalers, so I won't have to duck and weave down aisles after him
trying to avoid people.

I hadn't really thought of the show as an opportunity to expand contacts, as
you and Margie have suggested. Thanks. It has put my brain in another
direction.

Dora

Old May 12th 04, 02:38 AM
Kalera Stratton

Your boss must be a really... interesting... person if he has to avoid
so many people.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

"Bungadora" wrote in message

[...]

Story - Sophie the "Interesting" Dog Jan G Beads 3 March 21st 04 06:24 PM
OT Story - Sophie the "Interesting" Dog EL Beads 1 March 21st 04 06:23 AM
interesting bead scoops Debbie B Beads 8 February 27th 04 10:22 PM
Interesting site! Kalera Stratton Beads 4 December 28th 03 07:12 AM
Interesting use of lampwork Christina Peterson Beads 1 November 7th 03 02:18 PM