Knitting with Fibro

Old June 11th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

Default Knitting with Fibro

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 04:28:08 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

is certainly true. However, doing medical transcription, as Kim does,
doesn't really require thinking,

Uh, yeah, it does. You can't do medical transcription well with your
brain parked in neutral. You have to be thinking about whether the
doctor is saying that right thing, in some cases you have to be trying
to undecipher the gibberish that you are hearing and make something
intelligible about it, and in some cases you have to translate lousy
English grammar into something grammatically correct.

In my first job I was a proofreader, which I assume is a similar
activity. I found that if I thought too much about what the person was
saying, I would miss mistakes because my brain would provide the
missing word or correct the incorrect spelling or syntax. If what I
was reading was interesting, it was even easier to miss mistakes. It
was better to be alert but not actually engaged. That's what I meant
by getting in a zone.

Although I will concede that medical transcription not as cerebral of a
profession as application programming, it has been the most cerebral of
an occupation I could find ever since leaving application programming
after having my first child.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old June 11th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

B Vaughan wrote:

In my first job I was a proofreader, which I assume is a similar
activity. I found that if I thought too much about what the person was
saying, I would miss mistakes because my brain would provide the
missing word or correct the incorrect spelling or syntax. If what I
was reading was interesting, it was even easier to miss mistakes. It
was better to be alert but not actually engaged. That's what I meant
by getting in a zone.

I see. Well, I proofread textbooks for a typesetting company for a
number of years before doing medical transcription, and I know what you
mean about getting in the zone, because I had to learn the same thing,
but a good medical transcriptionist will *not* get in that zone while
he/she is transcribing, because doctors often make mistakes and it's
part of the transcriptionist's job to help catch them, so thinking about
what the doctor is dictating is really important unless you are the
typing monkey type of transcriptionist.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old June 14th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote

in
message ...
MSey wrote:

What was it Shakespeare said? ... Sorrows come not single spies but in
batallions ... something like that. We could replace the word

"sorrows"
with Fibro, could we? As if it's not enough to deal with.

Ooh, what a nice, gussied-up way to say, "It never rains but it pours"

for
sad things! I have to remember this one.

I was just thinking the same thing. I love Shakespeare, and I somehow

doubt
that he would take offense to his words being played with just a bit to

make
it about Fibromyalgia (or whatever other annoyance we have to deal with).

wouldn't be surprised (although they wouldn't know it back then, as it's
fairly recent) if Shakespeare actually had Fibromyalgia himself, and that
could very well be the "sorrows" he was referring to! ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

LOL! Well we know he suffered from insomnia--who could write that much and
get sleep?

And if he didn't have Fibro for sure he had carpel-tunnel (sp--sorry) from
all that writing.

Murielle

Old June 14th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
MSey wrote:

What was it Shakespeare said? ... Sorrows come not single spies but in
batallions ... something like that. We could replace the word "sorrows"
with Fibro, could we? As if it's not enough to deal with.

Ooh, what a nice, gussied-up way to say, "It never rains but it pours"
for sad things! I have to remember this one.

Absolutely! (It's from Hamlet and if I were feeling even a little more
energetic I'd look it up for you.) He has lots of that kind of thing. I'm
sure the man could have found a fancy way to say,"take the garbage out".
;-))

Murielle

Old June 14th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"MSey" wrote in message

It's a great idea to keep a notebook by your bedside to jot down the
things
that come to us in the night. :-)

Murielle

Definitely! I learned that years ago, after doing the whole back of the
envelope thing once too often. Now I have a notepad beside the bed with a
pen, and another pad and pen in the drawer in case the one on top was

moved
at some point during the day and was forgotten about. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

I've got so much on the top of my nightstand and in the top drawer ...
there's no room. But I'm going to work on it. ;-)

Hugs,
Murielle

Old June 14th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

i keep a bad side paper as well .
mirjam
Gemini

Old June 14th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

MSey wrote:

What was it Shakespeare said? ... Sorrows come not single spies but in
batallions ... something like that. We could replace the word
"sorrows"
with Fibro, could we? As if it's not enough to deal with.

Ooh, what a nice, gussied-up way to say, "It never rains but it pours"
for sad things! I have to remember this one.

Absolutely! (It's from Hamlet and if I were feeling even a little more
energetic I'd look it up for you.) He has lots of that kind of thing.
I'm
sure the man could have found a fancy way to say,"take the garbage out".
;-))

Murielle

Taketh the trash from the confines in which we dwell, forthwith! LOL

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 14th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"MSey" wrote in message

It's a great idea to keep a notebook by your bedside to jot down the
things
that come to us in the night. :-)

Murielle

Definitely! I learned that years ago, after doing the whole back of the
envelope thing once too often. Now I have a notepad beside the bed with
pen, and another pad and pen in the drawer in case the one on top was

moved
at some point during the day and was forgotten about. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

I've got so much on the top of my nightstand and in the top drawer ...
there's no room. But I'm going to work on it. ;-)

Hugs,
Murielle

A bit messy? Me too... it means we don't have idle minds. Oh, is that the
truth... especially being a Gemini... my mind is *always* on the go with a
few thousand things at once. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 14th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

MSey wrote:

What was it Shakespeare said? ... Sorrows come not single spies but

in
batallions ... something like that. We could replace the word
"sorrows"
with Fibro, could we? As if it's not enough to deal with.

Ooh, what a nice, gussied-up way to say, "It never rains but it pours"
for sad things! I have to remember this one.

Absolutely! (It's from Hamlet and if I were feeling even a little more
energetic I'd look it up for you.) He has lots of that kind of thing.
I'm
sure the man could have found a fancy way to say,"take the garbage out".
;-))

Murielle

Taketh the trash from the confines in which we dwell, forthwith! LOL

*hugs*
Gemini

Right on! Or as the bard may have said: Rightith onith. ;-))

Hugs,
Murielle

Old June 14th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"MSey" wrote in message

[...]

Aquarian here. I really like your interpretation. In fact, I think we
should stick to that. ;-))

Murielle