AD: A couple of new things up! ~Tink~

Old May 12th 04, 01:42 AM
KDK

Cool. And what do you mean YOUR Catalan bead??

Kathy K
"Tinkster" wrote in message
Here's a mega-closeup of the edge of the seeded panel in my Catalan
bead:
http://www.blackswampglassworks.com/seededcloseup.jpg

Tink
Rent-A-Tink Info via
Latest Work is he
http://snipurl.com/4y35
BEAD SALE he http://snipurl.com/5pfg
http://blackswampglassworks.com

Old May 12th 04, 01:57 AM
Tinkster

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:42:15 -0400, "KDK"
wrote:

Cool. And what do you mean YOUR Catalan bead??

ROFL! Ok ok ok... YOUR Catalan bead. LOL!

Old May 12th 04, 02:25 AM
Helen Page

Tinkster wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2004 00:25:57 +0100, "Helen Page"
wrote:

Tinkster wrote:
I've put a couple of new things up on my Latest Work page.
http://www.blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
I'd love it if you would take a look! I'm having fun with my version
of seeded glass :-)

Tink, you Utter Glass Goddess! You owe me a new keyboard... or an
industrial strength wet-n-dry vac to rescue this one from the drool!

Helen, I am TOTALLY blushing here! The only thing that feels better
than making pieces that feel good to me are to find that others enjoy
them too. Thank you SO much!

No, thank *you* for making such lovely beads! I'm forever peeking at your
latest page to see what orbs of gorgeousness you've posted!

Old May 12th 04, 02:36 AM
Kalera Stratton

Some glass makers stir the batch with a potato. Or once, a dead rat.
(I wasn't there for the rat incident. I just heard about it later. But
eeew.)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Tinkster wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:14:52 -0400, "KDK"
wrote:

I just had to go look. sigh.

Ok- what is seeded glass? I like the look, but I don't know what it means.

If you look at old windows, you'll see lots of tiny bubbles. Windows
used to be made by glassblowers. They were blown, and then cut and
flattened to make sheets of glass. They didn't have float glass then
:-)

The modern-day version of this is referred to as seeded glass, I guess
because the little bubbles look kind of like seeds. Kokomo, Wismach
and Spectrum (and others) roll this kind of glass for stained glass
and stuff. You can also get what's referred to as "Antique" glass,
which is blown, and also has this seeded look. I think all the
"Antique" glasses are European.

It's used a lot in architectural pieces (lamps, panels, etc.) and in
stained glass applications. From stainedglass.org:

*
Seedy (sometimes referred to as "bubbles"): Bubbles in the glass are
obtained by blowing the molten glass before the mixture of silica
sand, borax, and coloring matter has boiled itself free of sulphurous
gases formed in the heat of its creation. Placing a block of wood
soaked in water onto a stir-rod and gently stirring the molten glass
is another method used to obtain seeds. Gently stirring the molten
glass, top to bottom, causes oxidation of the molten glass by
entrapping the air. Normally, a 100-pound batch of glass can be
"seeded" only twice -- once when the pot is full and again when the
pot has been a little more than half worked. The most heavily seeded
sheets will come or be cast from the first half or so of the pot. Seed
intensity diminishes in casting the last of the molten mass.
*

Old May 12th 04, 08:23 PM
Helen Page

Tinkster wrote:
Helen, I am TOTALLY blushing here! The only thing that feels better
than making pieces that feel good to me are to find that others enjoy
them too. Thank you SO much!

p.s. on A.R.C.:

---
"Helen Page" wrote in message
It was one I made with a gorgeous lampwork bead by Tink (
http://blackswampglassworks.com ) snip

I'm happy now...

I'm glad you found your necklace. It must be gorgeous.
I went & looked at Tink's site--WOW. Stunningly beautiful beads.
I've now got it bookmarked.

Mintee
---

I just can't help squeaking about your beads!

Attached Images

Old May 13th 04, 05:06 AM
KDK

snicker - orbs of gorgeousness -that just cracked me up.

Yo baby - I got your orbs right here

Kathy K
wrote:

Tinkster wrote:
I've put a couple of new things up on my Latest Work page.
http://www.blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
I'd love it if you would take a look! I'm having fun with my version
of seeded glass :-)

Tink, you Utter Glass Goddess! You owe me a new keyboard... or an
industrial strength wet-n-dry vac to rescue this one from the drool!

Helen, I am TOTALLY blushing here! The only thing that feels better
than making pieces that feel good to me are to find that others enjoy
them too. Thank you SO much!

No, thank *you* for making such lovely beads! I'm forever peeking at your
latest page to see what orbs of gorgeousness you've posted!

AD: A couple of things up on my site - TINK Tinkster Beads 24 April 22nd 04 06:09 PM
AD: A few new things... ~Tink~ Tinkster Beads 37 March 14th 04 04:31 AM
A couple bead sites Kyla Beads 7 January 27th 04 06:55 AM
AD: A few little things available - Tink Tink Beads 9 December 6th 03 03:52 AM
New finished piece & a couple of stringing questions rainbow Beads 0 July 6th 03 09:28 AM