A question about teaching

Old January 4th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default A question about teaching

Hello

Well, I start teaching 10 10 year olds how to stitch in a few weeks. I am
mostly looking forward to it.

I have 10 count plastic, needles and floss. I have lots of card stock left
from another project, ditto some cuts of aida.

Do you think small needle books would help them keep from losing the needles
when not in use. The biggest drawback of the plastic canvas is it is harder
to park your needle.

The accessories thread also make me wonder if some needle threaders might be
in order!

Cheryl

Old January 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak said
Do you think small needle books would help them keep from losing the needles
when not in use. The biggest drawback of the plastic canvas is it is harder
to park your needle.

Use felt to create needle parks. Cut it into 'interesting' shapes and then
attach it to the plastic canvas with a stitch or two or a staples.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old January 4th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Do you want any more of those test strip tubes for that? They could have
their names written on the outside - either on a label, or with a Sharpie.
I have a few more if you want them. They`d certainly keep needles and a
threader safe.

Pat P

Old January 4th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On 1/4/06 4:15 PM, in article ,
"Stitcher" wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:15:37 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Hello

Well, I start teaching 10 10 year olds how to stitch in a few weeks. I am
mostly looking forward to it.

I have 10 count plastic, needles and floss. I have lots of card stock left
from another project, ditto some cuts of aida.

Do you think small needle books would help them keep from losing the needles
when not in use. The biggest drawback of the plastic canvas is it is harder
to park your needle.

The accessories thread also make me wonder if some needle threaders might be
in order!

Cheryl

Why use plastics?? I would think it would discourage rather than
encourage young stitchers. have always found it more difficult than
any fabric. A number of years ago I taught a group cross stitch using
14 count aida. It has enough body to hold up while working in hand and
the holes are certainly not a problem for that age group. I designed a
bookmark which I pre finished for them. Had a couple of 8 year olds in
the group neither of whom had a problem stitching on the 14 count
aida. Actually one of the 8 year olds was the most enthusiastic
stitcher in the group. Good luck.
Ruby

Mostly to help them get the tension right. If it doesn't work, I'll nab the
10 count aida I have hanging around. Light will not be good!

Cheryl

Old January 4th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Sure!

Cheryl