Bernina question

Old January 22nd 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Bernina question

I have the Artista 180 (Millenium edition). Now I remember why I
haven't used the computer link up for ages. I have no serial port on
my laptop! Question: can I get a cable (does one exist?) having a USB
end and the sort of rectangular end that fits the machine? I got the
machine serviced last week, and got all excited about it again. Now I
don't think I can use it.

Second one: can I get a stitch regulator retro-fitted? Some folk say
yes, some no. Has anyone done it and is it a good gadget anyway?

Thanks,
Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old January 22nd 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

You can get a cable that is a serial to usb port converter and it may
work. The 180 cannot take the Stitch Regulator.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old January 22nd 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 03:30:12 -0600, Sartorresartus wrote
(in article . com):

I have the Artista 180 (Millenium edition). Now I remember why I
haven't used the computer link up for ages. I have no serial port on
my laptop! Question: can I get a cable (does one exist?) having a USB
end and the sort of rectangular end that fits the machine? I got the
machine serviced last week, and got all excited about it again. Now I
don't think I can use it.

Second one: can I get a stitch regulator retro-fitted? Some folk say
yes, some no. Has anyone done it and is it a good gadget anyway?

Thanks,
Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Nel, there are serial to USB cables available. Ask your local computer guru
to recommend one.

Maureen

Old January 22nd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
"Sartorresartus" wrote:

I have the Artista 180 (Millenium edition). Now I remember why I
haven't used the computer link up for ages. I have no serial port on
my laptop! Question: can I get a cable (does one exist?) having a USB
end and the sort of rectangular end that fits the machine? I got the
machine serviced last week, and got all excited about it again. Now I
don't think I can use it.

Second one: can I get a stitch regulator retro-fitted? Some folk say
yes, some no. Has anyone done it and is it a good gadget anyway?

Thanks,
Nel
(Gadget Queen)

The stitch regulator is a good gadget -- a *really* good gadget! I love
mine. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the 180. The 200 can be retrofitted
for it, and it also fits the Aurora series, as well as the 630/640 and
730.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old January 22nd 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ceridwen

Yes you can get a USP to port cable. Make you you Port COM is within the
range of 1 to 4 otherwise you will not connect. Good luck.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea
http://360.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea
ups.com...

Old January 22nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Thanks all, I have done the runaround today and found
www.digitalera.com (NAYY) who are going to send me a cable. I emailed
Bernina and they recommended them to me. Watch this space to see
whether this works! Apparently a lot of them don't! Great! Can't
imagine why Bernina don't have them in their retailers! I can't be
unique!

Sad I can't have the stitch regulator though!

Thanks all,

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old October 22nd 10, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

No, the cable is not the answer.

In the end I got hold of an old computer which runs '98 and loaded
everything onto that, so it attaches to the 180.

Then I got in touch with Bernina (www.bogods.co.uk) in London and
talked to a lovely lass who happened to have a CD with the right
software on it. She got it copied and sent to me. I've loaded it,
but haven't used it yet. (I kinda lost the will to live at that
point). I have to get to grips with it over the next few days, so
I'll post again with my results.

I get the impression that people buy new machines more frequently than
I have a mind (or the money) to do; and that the manufacturers are far
more interested in that than getting a name for longevity and
futureproofing. Having said that, to be fair, the computer revolution
has been exponential over the last 10 years (let alone the previous
10) and who knew where it would go and how fast?

Hope that is not too depressing an answer. There is hope, I'll keep
you in the loop.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Bernina cord question nana2b Quilting 8 November 13th 05 04:45 PM
Bernina 1000 foot adapter LH Quilting 2 September 25th 05 01:16 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 22nd 05 07:24 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Polly S. Beads 0 April 22nd 05 06:29 AM