HELP!! Dead mouse odor

Old October 20th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default HELP!! Dead mouse odor

Remember the charcoal must be the "activated" type that is used in
fish tank filters, not the type that you use in the bar-b-que. My
refrigerator has an activated charcoal filter.

Mom, the laundry chemist, tried to use the bar-b-que type, it didn't
work so good.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

clip-clip

Has this happened to anybody? Know of any stink ridding products? Will
my fabric have to be burned??

Help,
Sunny

How about charcoal to absorb the odors? I feel for you, Sunny! Where
there's one mouse, there are usually more. Ugh. We've gone through that,
and it's no fun.

Old October 20th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Monique in TX[_2_]

Sunny wrote: How do I get that horrid smell
out of the wood, out of my fabric?

I feel for you. I've been there, except it wasn't dead mouse, it was
dead OPOSSUM (in a closed apartment with the AC off...) Mass-wise,
equivalent to multiple mice. Dead mammal smell is unmistakable.

Wash down any washable hard surface with baking soda and water. Fabric:
try airing it outdoors for a few days. If that doesn't help, launder
what you can and Febreeze the snot out of what you can't. Find the
source of the odor, if you can, and remove it. Hang in there.

Monique in TX
Old October 20th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Well, I keep a pack of matches AND a big fat candle in the bathroom and it
takes care of those type odors! :0)
Barbara
"Alice in PA" wrote in message
Yeah, maybe you could burn that candle in church, and pray the problem
goes away!!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old October 20th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy from GA but wants to me in MO

On Oct 19, 11:46*pm, Sunny wrote:
I haven't been into my fabric storage area in the sauna in a few days.
When I walked into the sauna tonight, I was hit in the face with the
unmistakable smell of dead mouse. Groan. I'm leaving Thursday morning
very early for Phoenix. I have things to do all day tomorrow. That
means when I come back sometime before midnight Monday night that I
will still have dead mouse in the sauna. Obviously I have to pull
every tiny thing out of there and find the dead one and make sure
there are no live ones. But then what? How do I get that horrid smell
out of the wood, out of my fabric.

That area is where I store my tiny stash of silk, velvet, etc. The
really good stuff. Not to mention my batting.

Any suggestions? I really do not want to wash every piece of fabric in
there. Some of it would have to be dry cleaned. Gah. I'm really
disgusted by the smell, which is now creeping out of the sauna since I
opened the door for a few minutes.

Has this happened to anybody? Know of any stink ridding products? Will
my fabric have to be burned??

Help,
Sunny

Not sure if this will work or not but maybe worth a shot.

We had a freezer go bad on us just 1 day after purchasing a bunch of
meat. Started pulling everything out and into the upstairs freezer.
I "thought" DH got the last of the meat and he "thought" that I had.
Well, guess what? There was still meat in there after about 6
months. OMG - talk about a smell when the door was opened. Found
this out when the movers came to pack up the house. He immediately
shut the door and immediately got a clean, empty coffee filter and
some coffee and tied it up and threw it in the freezer. Only we did a
bunch of them cause it stunk really bad. Locked the door so they
could move it and opened it outside at the new house and the smell was
definitely better. Not ALL gone but tolerable.
Old October 20th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Whew, I called an exterminator and he injected some sanity. Much
needed, I will say. He offered to come do what he would do for $300 or
said he would tell me what he would do and I could do it myself.
Sounded simple. And it is. I'm putting heavily baited traps into the
sauna and a piece of newspaper in the floor with flour sifted in the
middle of it. Then I'm closing the door and putting a big towel where
it will seal the tiny gap under the door. And tomorrow morning I will
know if live mice are in my fabric. That will dictate the next step.
First, throw away the dead mice. Then, re-bait the traps and leave
them with orders for Son #1 (who is staying home to work) to remove
dead mice as needed. Otherwise, I'm putting big pans of baking soda in
the sauna, leaving the door open and it should be aired enough by the
time I get back that I can pull out my fabric without gagging. (it
doesn't help that I was hit with a massive migraine last night and it
hasn't completely subsided all day) so I've got plenty of traps,
peanut butter and I'm ready to boogie. Dealing with individual fabric
pieces will have to wait 'till I get back.

Thanks for the good advice. Nobody in town has the charcoal.
Apparently other people have been looking and all over town folks in
stores that should carry the stuff are just chuffed from having people
tell them that they should carry the stuff.

So that's that. Wish me luck and no dead mice, cuz then it will mean
no invasion, just a stinky dead thing in the wall.

Hugs,
Sunny
Old October 21st 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Hi Sunny,
Dead mouse smells nasty, until it dries up, which takes a few days. Most
things will just air out, if the critter didn't actually leave body
fluids on them.
I get at least one per season dead in my place in Vermont, so I know eau
de mouse mort.
Liz

Old October 21st 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I know that this won't help getting rid of the mouse odor you already have,
but Bert and I do this to help keep mice out of the cottage when we are not
there over the winter. We buy the most fragranced possible Bounce fabric
softner sheets and basically spread the entire box throughout the house when
we leave. And I mean everywhere. In the closets, dressers, beds, on the
couch, floor, under the sinks, etc. And I mean everywhere. Apparently mice
don't like the smell. Can't blame them. It's about enough to gag me too
with that much. But, we've cut down to almost nothing the mice problem.
Still a few in traps in the furnace room and garage, but none upstairs
anymore. Mom and Dad did the same thing with the Fifth-Wheel and never had
a mouse in their either.

Maybe in the future a sheet or two in your stash in the sauna will help keep
them out too.

Just trying to pass on some possible future help.

Steven
Alaska

Old October 21st 10, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 21/10/2010 05:27, Steven Cook wrote:
[...]

At last! A use for Bounce!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 21st 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irondale

[...]

Sunny, have you tried vinegar? It works great when odors.
It absorbs just about any type of odor. Works great when
just set in a bowl and place where needed; or you can put
some
in a spray bottle and litely spray your material. If you
decide
to wash some of the material, it will also work in your
frig.

Not admitting that I live in a stinking house LOL but I've
tried
this and it works!

Donna

Strange odor in fun foam MB Quilting 7 February 13th 08 02:58 PM
OT Thank you Ms, Anony Mouse Dawn in Alberta Quilting 3 October 6th 06 08:10 AM
OT frozen mouse Christina Peterson Beads 13 September 23rd 05 08:16 PM
A Magic Mouse Christina Peterson Beads 4 June 18th 04 01:45 PM
Yarn odor CHEX Yarn 33 November 14th 03 06:48 PM