Yesterday's embarrassing moment

Old December 7th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Yesterday's embarrassing moment

I didn't receive my November/December issue of Fons and Porter in the
mail. The mailing label says my subscription is paid up until January
2007. I was getting worried. The local shop only had two copies left.

I tried calling the number on the website for magazine customer support.
Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring "Please enter the extension or stay on the
line for the operator. I wait since there is no extension given on the
web page. Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring "Forwarding your call now" Ok,
so what was that ringing before then? Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring "To
leave a message press one, to enter another extension press 3"

Hmmm, did I get the right place? Why do they not give out extensions?
Why do they not say who I am leaving the message with?

I try later...same thing.

Finally I try again, determined to make my way through the recording
maze. Pressing "O" gets me the same results. I try entering random
extensions...nothing.

Then I pull out the magazine. There is a non-888 number with a two
digit extension for advertising. Ah ha. Now we're on to something.
Normally, a phone switch is programmed so the same extension will take
you to the same place whether you call the toll free or regular number.
If I call the 888 number and enter the two digit extension I should get
advertising. Maybe they can transfer me to a real body in customer
service. I give it a try. The phone ringing, then the sound of it
being answered....

It's Marianne Fons!

Ok, now I am embarrassed.

She was very nice and took my number and got a real person to call me
just a minute later. My magazine is on its way.

I am just so embarrassed. I just wanted a real body...not an owner!

sigh

marcella
Old December 7th 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Marcella, I do sympathize with you - but I had to admit, that was
pretty funny.

Tina, not laughing AT you, just laughing with you

Old December 7th 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I wouldn't see it as embarrassing - after all by going to these lengths you
have showed a fallacy in their system and the owner now knows it so
basically you did them a favour!

:-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old December 7th 05, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

[...]

LOL! A similar thing happened to me several years ago when I called QNM
-- I ended up talking to Mary Leman Austin and was quite embarrassed.
But she was quite nice, as M. Fons seems to have been, and the problem
was solved in record time. Sometimes it *pays* to talk to the head
honcho.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old December 7th 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Tina" wrote:

Marcella, I do sympathize with you - but I had to admit, that was
pretty funny.

Tina, not laughing AT you, just laughing with you

That's ok, I'm still laughing too.

marcella
Old December 7th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Yesterday's embarrassing moment

My reply is OT, but your message reminded me of a similar situation I
found myself in!
I rang the Diocesan office to find out something - and the Bishop
answered g I asked anyway - he didn't know the answer gg
..
In message ,
Marcella Peek writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old December 7th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And further more, if your goal was to talk to a real person then you
sure got a good one!
Diana

Old December 7th 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In a way, I'm not surprised. I've heard (was it here?) that they pretty
much self publish their magazine. I think they're looking for professional
help now that it's getting quite popular. Marianne is really nice and I bet
she didn't mind taking care of your problem in the least! A good reputation
is very valuable these days when there are other choices. I can imagine you
were a bit tongue tied when you found out who it was!
KJ

Old December 7th 05, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Congratulations on your stick-to-it-ness! I would have done the same thing.
While you were on the phone with Marian, did you tell her about the "800"
run around? Glad you got it all sorted out.

Linda in Tx