Looking for info on Singer's made in the 50's & 60's

Old July 9th 04, 12:15 AM
Malcolm Spann

Default Looking for info on Singer's made in the 50's & 60's

There seems to be a lot written about the earlier Singer machines (ie:
the Featherweights, etc), but I have not been able to find much on
those fabulous, all-metal, gear driven machines Singer made in the
50's & 60's. I've often heard that machines such as the 301 and 401
were some of the best Singer ever made (I love my 401!), but I can't
find much info on any of the other machines in those series (for
example, the 328 or the 421).

ISMACS only has a little info on the 301, 401/403/404/411/431and
500/503 models from this period. And, many sites that offer old
manuals say, for example, to use the 401 manual for the
403/404/421/431 machines.

Likewise, can someone suggest a source for a list of the accessories
(including part numbers) that fit these older machines?

Thanks!
Malcolm

P.S. Re. the 401, ISMACS also states, "Some early models had holes
cut in the bed for use as a treadle machine." Has anyone ever seen
one of these?
Old July 9th 04, 05:59 AM
CW

"Malcolm Spann" wrote in message P.S. Re. the
401, ISMACS also states, "Some early models had holes
cut in the bed for use as a treadle machine." Has anyone ever seen
one of these?

Yes, my 401G has the hole for the belt, although it is electric. Also has
the screw hole near the balance wheel for the belt guard. Seems they used
the same casting as the treadle machines. Just put a plug in the hole.

Old July 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Taria

There are some good photos and info on my old web page.
Taria

http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm