Hello, again

Old February 22nd 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Steve B

Default Hello, again

Been away a while. Have been trying to get my Singer 111W155 working. The
thread gobs up on the underside of the fabric. One local poster said she
had a chip out of her bobbin holder, and it caused gobbing. I'm going to
take the bobbin holder out tomorrow and check it all over. It looks like
you should put the bobbin holder all the way down into the hole for it, then
align the long screw into the keyway or flat part of the shaft, and the
short screw into contact with the shaft on the round part. But don't know
if I should bottom it out or leave it up a bit. You can't leave it up too
far, or it will hit on the throat plate. Still trying to find a local
mechanic who can tune this up, but no luck. I need to take it to Las Vegas,
but that is a big deal with the stand and all. I am going to call the store
and see if I can just bring the head.

Ideas or sites where I can get the tune up info would be appreciated. I
have already downloaded the manual, but it talks in some terms I don't
understand. But I'm working on it, and slowly getting there.

Steve

Old February 22nd 10, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Steve B wrote:
Been away a while. Have been trying to get my Singer
111W155 working. The thread gobs up on the underside of
the fabric.

I have no knowledge of your particular machine, but as a
general rule, thread nests on the bottom of the fabric is an
indication that the *top* thread is not being tensioned. Or
that the tension disks are full of gunk. Or that the needle
needs to be replaced with a new one. If I had this problem,
I would:

1. replace the needle with a BRAND NEW, one sized for your
fabric.
2. unthread the needle path, clean the entire path very
carefully including flossing between the tension disks.
3. rethread the top and bobbin thread, referring to the
manual as I did so.
4. make absolutely certain the needle thread is not catching
anywhere on the spool.
5. test.
6. if the problem still remains, do a top-to-bottom
inside-and-out cleaning and lubrication of the machine
hitting every spot recommended in the user's manual and
using a brush and vacuum to clean all nooks and crannies.
7. test again...

Having done all that, if the problem remains, I'd head for
the service center. Or contact Ron Anderson:

ron [at] sewingmachine [dot] com

Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
18 Dingman Rd Sand Lake, NY 12153
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com

Ron's phone number is on his web site.

NAYY,

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old February 22nd 10, 09:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

BEI Design wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

I'd be doing the same.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 22nd 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Steve B

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message
BEI Design wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Thank you both, and I shall be contacting Ron. I have done what was
suggested, spending hours looking at my machine. It is relatively clean,
and I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the manual and learning how
it works. I still have a ways to go.

On the thread tensioning, when I thread it through the top, I cannot seem to
get the top thread tension right, although all the disks have been removed
and are pristine clean. At times, it works, at other times, the thread is
hard to pull through.

I suspect the problem is in the bobbin area, and will have to work with it
and adjust the bobbin tension screw and thread hook and needle hook timing
repeatedly until I get it right.

I am recovering right now, so have two weeks to do such sit around things.
But I would sure like to get my boat top finished, and quit wasting thread.

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Old February 22nd 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

On 2/22/2010 10:13 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Kate wrote in message
BEI Design wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Just a thought. You say the thread is hard to pull at times. Are you
referring to the bobbin thread or the top thread. Are you threading with
the foot in the up position and inserting the needle into the fabric
with the up and holding your bobbin and top thread behind the foot until
you get started sewing. If you've done these thing and still have
ptoblems, Ron is there for you.
Juno
Old February 22nd 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Polly Esther[_5_]

Just another thought - are you absolutely Certain that you are placing the
bobbin in correctly? There's one @#$! machine here that goes the 'other
way' and makes a fearsome mess when I flip it in with the usual manner.
Polly

Old February 22nd 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Steve B

"Kate wrote in message
BEI Design wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Top thread pulls hard, even if I unscrew the nut. Done it a hundred times,
and read and reread the directions. Am going to work on it some more this
afternoon, and have sent Ron an e mail.

Yes, holding on to the two threads, and can't put it through the needle
unless it is in the UP position.

Steve

Old February 22nd 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Steve B

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Just another thought - are you absolutely Certain that you are placing the
bobbin in correctly? There's one @#$! machine here that goes the 'other
way' and makes a fearsome mess when I flip it in with the usual manner.
Polly

Yes, according to directions, the bobbin rotates anti clockwise when feeding
thread. Comes off the bottom of the bobbin closest to me, and runs to the
right.

Steve

Old February 23rd 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Some interesting tensioning in that machine. Do you have the manual
and parts chart?
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManu...53_154_155.pdf
http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/111W155.pdf

Old February 23rd 10, 07:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Steve B

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message

Some interesting tensioning in that machine. Do you have the manual
and parts chart?
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManu...53_154_155.pdf
http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/111W155.pdf

TYVM! I did have the manual, but not the parts chart. Upon first
inspection, I see I am missing one disc on the thread tensioner up top. I
was able to get it timed today, and it is sewing 80% better. I think with a
little tweaking, I can get the other 20%. It's like a Rubik's cube, not too
difficult after the first time. BTW, my best time was 1:50 on the cube.

Thanks again.

Now, I wonder where to order a disc ..........

Steve