How to form patina on brass?

Old October 4th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default How to form patina on brass?

The Complete Metalsmith by Tim...(I can not remember his name) has
recipes for those of us that do not have good storage places for pee
buckets and saw dust (which takes a long time to patina, but does have
interesting textures). To get green spray with a mixture of ammonia,
water, table salt and sal ammoniac; you can sprinkle saw dust on wet
surface. Let dry completely with out aid and repeat the spraying 3-4
times.
To get blue put in a bag or sealed container like a cooler with a open
dish containing ammonia- also rub table salt or salt water on the
areas you desire blue. Leave in bag until you get desired effect. He
also has recipes for brown, red. You can use a torch to get similar
colors to patinas created by liver of sulfur.

Old October 4th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:31:54 -0700, Abrasha
wrote:

Norm Dresner wrote:
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

**** on it.

If no one else will, I will chime in with "Kitty's litter box for a
few days!"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old October 4th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

There were several replies to this query,suggesting exposing the casting to
ammonia,natural or synthetic. Depending on the composition of the brass and
the internal stress level, there is a risk of causing cracking.
I have not heard of this when the patinating agent was a sulphur compound.
Just my twopennerth. G.H.Ireland

--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

Old October 4th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_3_]

On Oct 2, 12:12?pm, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

Norm,
Try this site...
http://www.artmetal.com/search/node/aging+brass
It may help you out. We were looking to possibly age a small
reproduction of a South Bend Lathe dauber we make, (we decided to sell
it as a fresh turning instead so not to imply it was the original
item).
Tim
www.alisam.com
"A-LEE-SAM"

Patina Issue.... Jman Glass 5 July 29th 07 03:07 PM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Could someone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impression on a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp? I wish to do exactly this wi Dr. Sooz Rubberstamps 4 August 1st 05 03:17 AM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Couldsomeone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impressionon a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp?I wish to do exactly this with Barbara Hass Rubberstamps 1 July 31st 05 09:13 PM
Brass patina wanted Bill Cademy Glass 3 December 21st 04 04:12 AM
Wood patina George G Carving 0 July 6th 03 09:52 PM