OT - Annealing and Pickling

Old May 27th 04, 03:10 PM
Tinkster

Default OT - Annealing and Pickling

Hey, I'm working on something and have gotten to the part where I need
to anneal and pickle some sterling silver. I've looked online and in
some books, but I thought maybe I'd get some input here before leaping
into this. Obviously, I've never done it before :-)

I have everything I need, I think. I just don't know exactly what to
do.

Tink
Rent-A-Tink Info via
Latest Work is he
http://snipurl.com/4y35
BEAD SALE he http://snipurl.com/5pfg
http://blackswampglassworks.com

Old May 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Tinkster

On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:16:08 -0400, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
wrote:

Did you check ganoskin.com?

Yep. And I'm not having any luck finding a simple step by step. How
hot do I get the silver? Can I do this with my flameworking torch? I
remember reading that I could quench in water and then go into the
warm pickle. How warm should the pickling solution be (100 degrees is
what I'm remembering).

I was planning to take a metalsmithing class at the Museum this
summer, but I'll be out of town when it's being offered. Poop.

Old May 27th 04, 04:18 PM
Mj

From Tim McCreight's book "The Complete Metalsmith"

Annealing
This is the process of reducing stress within metal by heating it to a
prescribed temperature. Industrially this is done in a furnace where the
temperatures can be monitored mechanically. In the studio it is more common
to anneal with a torch. Temperatures are gauged by the color progression of
the metal, with a dimly lit area being best suited for this purpose. Paste
flux may be painted onto the metal to serve as a temperature indicator: it
is clear at 1100 degrees F (593 degrees C). If quenching in a pickle,
beware of dangerous fumes and splashing acid. A safer method is to quench
in water and then slide the work into the pickle.

Sterling, 14K & 10 K Gold: Heat to a dull red; quench as soon as the
redness disappears.

From his "Jewelry - Fundamentals of Metalsmithing"

On Pickle: "Pickle will do its work at room temperature, but is much faster
when warm, ideally about like a hot bath. An easy way to sustain this
temperature is with a crock pot..." And don't forget to use non-steel tools
to fish out whatever you put in the pickle or you run the risk of
copperplating your pieces. It should only take a few minutes to dissolve
any oxides from your annealing.
HTH!!

Mj

Old May 27th 04, 05:08 PM
Karen_AZ

You need to heat it to a dark orange glow. And depending on what shape it
is, you should be able to do it in your torch. I prefer working flat, on a
fire brick. I was taught that it's best to quench in water then pickle. I
use a mini crockpot to hold my pickle (I use Sparex). It comes up to temp in
about 30 minutes.

Just remember to keep the piece moving in the flame. Silver can go from dark
orange to nearly molten in seconds if you don't distribute the heat.

KarenK

Old May 27th 04, 06:12 PM
Shirley Shone

You heat the silver until it is a cherry red, then plunge it into cold
water.
It should be then pliable for the next beating.

I was watching a silver smith at work last Saturday and she was using
the pickle cold. Just takes a bit longer to work.
Says Shirley who is dredging her mind of the silver smithing things she
learnt at college in 5 years. I was a fool that I did not take my City
and Guilds exam.
Shirley

In message , Tinkster
writes

--
Shirley Shone
Old May 28th 04, 04:57 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Thu, 27 May 2004 08:18:25 -0700, "Mj" wrote:

On Pickle: "Pickle will do its work at room temperature, but is much faster
when warm, ideally about like a hot bath. An easy way to sustain this
temperature is with a crock pot..."

For those who wish to use something a little more
environmentally friendly there is Pre Po Pickle, or
PPP. It is used room temp. You mix up a gallon at
a time. Keep in a glass jug. Pour the amount you
need into a glass dish or cup (depending on the
size and shape of what you are pickling.) Use
until it turns bluish, then pour down the drain. It
breaks down into inert material that is safe for the
environment. Unlike Sparex which remains evil
forever and should be disposed of at an approved
haz mat facility. Because it is room temp, it takes
a little longer to work. A couple of minutes don't
bother me, and I feel better about the by-products.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future
plans.
Woody Allen

Old May 28th 04, 08:39 PM
roxan

I never heard of Pre Po Pickle where did you get it? I use a strong acid and
would like to know more about this product.
Roxan