Red Heart Super Saver Yarn

Old August 10th 05, 03:57 PM

Default Red Heart Super Saver Yarn

Hi Everyone,

Since Wooly and Noreen were talking about yarn and the weight, I
thought I would let you know what is happening with the Red Heart Super
Saver, it's being downsized too. A couple weeks ago I was at Walmarts
and picked up a skein of blueberry pie and one of plum pudding. I
thought the plum one felt a little different so I checked them both.
Sure enough the blueberry was the old 6oz and tne new plum 5oz. This
week they had some new solid colors in and they have gone to 7oz now
instead of 8. Everything is still the same price though unless this
week you get it at AC Moore which has it for $1.57 a skein. I don't
need any right now, thanks to Wooly, but wanted folks to be informed.

Hugs,

Nora

Old August 10th 05, 09:36 PM

Like so many manufacturers do, I am not surprised. But it sure is a
sneaky way to raise the price. It reminds me of the coffee cans, not
quite a pound, right?

This makes looking for a sale more attractive!

Diane

PS. Those colors you bought sound yummy!

Old August 11th 05, 01:50 AM
Tante Jan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

Since Wooly and Noreen were talking about yarn and the weight, I
thought I would let you know what is happening with the Red Heart Super
Saver, it's being downsized too. A couple weeks ago I was at Walmarts
and picked up a skein of blueberry pie and one of plum pudding. I
thought the plum one felt a little different so I checked them both.
Sure enough the blueberry was the old 6oz and tne new plum 5oz. This
week they had some new solid colors in and they have gone to 7oz now
instead of 8. Everything is still the same price though unless this
week you get it at AC Moore which has it for $1.57 a skein. I don't
need any right now, thanks to Wooly, but wanted folks to be informed.

Hugs,

Nora

So effectively, they have increased the price. It seems like a dumb way to
do it as it will cause problems for people who, not noticing the change,
don't buy enough for their projects. Out of curiosity, I went to the Coats
& Clark Web site and they just list it with the old sizes. Herrschner's,
however, lists it with the reduced sizes. Nora, as a major user of Super
Saver, I think you should contact C&C and ask why they changed it.

--
Jan in MN

Old August 11th 05, 02:01 AM
suzee

Tante Jan wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The same reason Kelloggs and General Mills kept their prices and boxes
the same, but reduced the content amount. ;(

sue
Old August 11th 05, 02:03 AM
Wooly

The put-up was changed because Walmart, the largest distributor of
RedHeart yarns, is always demanding that suppliers reduce prices so
that Walmart can increase its own profits. The suppliers have few
methods of accomplishing this goal while still maintaining their own
profits; the most widely-used method is to downsize the package. This
whole Walmart mentality is one of the many reasons I shop there as
little as possible and generally under duress when I do set foot in
one.

I don't recall the man's name, but there's an essay out there
somewhere (required reading for me in college at some point) that
discusses the economics of a Hershey bar. That essay's basis thesis
is very on-point to the whole "downsized package, static price" thing.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:50:48 GMT, "Tante Jan"
spewed forth :
So effectively, they have increased the price. It seems like a dumb way to
do it as it will cause problems for people who, not noticing the change,
don't buy enough for their projects. Out of curiosity, I went to the Coats
& Clark Web site and they just list it with the old sizes. Herrschner's,
however, lists it with the reduced sizes. Nora, as a major user of Super
Saver, I think you should contact C&C and ask why they changed it.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 11th 05, 02:33 AM
Wooly

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:03:31 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

I don't recall the man's name, but there's an essay out there
somewhere (required reading for me in college at some point) that
discusses the economics of a Hershey bar. That essay's basis thesis
is very on-point to the whole "downsized package, static price" thing.

Stephen Jay Gould wrote the essay. His prediction of a 47.5-cent
weightless bar on the shelves in 1998 didn't pan out. A "standard"
bar in its nitrogen-charged mylar wrapper weighs 1.55oz and costs
about 65 cents.

+++++++++++++

Old August 11th 05, 03:38 PM

Hi,

It isn't only Walmarts, AC Moore and Michaels all charge the same price
for the yarn. $2.17 a skein and if it's not on sale you can get one
skein using their coupon.

Hugs,

Nora

Old August 11th 05, 03:55 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

It isn't only Walmarts, AC Moore and Michaels all charge the same price
for the yarn. $2.17 a skein and if it's not on sale you can get one
skein using their coupon.

Hugs,

Nora

Nora, what Wooly is saying is that WalMart is the culprit in the downsizing.
AC Moore and Michaels are just purchasing and selling what WalMart basically
forced RedHeart to do...
Noreen

mumble... walmarT, walmarT, walmatT.... there's no 's', grin!

Old August 11th 05, 04:38 PM
Wooly

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:55:52 -0500, "Noreen's Knit*che"
spewed forth :

Nora, what Wooly is saying is that WalMart is the culprit in the downsizing.
AC Moore and Michaels are just purchasing and selling what WalMart basically
forced RedHeart to do...

Exactly. Walmart has, since Sam Walton died, assumed a corporate
policy of demanding that each supplier agree to some per-unit price
reduction whenever said supplier's contract is up for renewal.
Because Walmart has become the largest retailer in the world during
the past 15 years or so any supplier that refuses to meet Walmart's
demand in this regard risks losing a HUGE market share.

Some major manufacturers (Singer comes to mind, among others) develop
a special "Walmart" line of products in an effort to keep their brands
out there for the shoppers who for whatever reason won't shop anywhere
else. Most of the "Walmart lines" based on my observation are
smaller, more cheaply made, and of lesser quality than the "regular"
lines sold elsewhere.

There are some companies that won't do business with Walmart,
generally the smaller, family-owned affairs.

But, in the case of yarn, if the manufacturer is only shipping one
put-up, everybody sells it.

Old August 11th 05, 04:59 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Wooly" wrote in message
[...]

Your clarification was / is MUCH more eloquent than mine, thanks, Wooly!
Noreen