OFF TOPIC - time for one of those questions

Old April 28th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OFF TOPIC - time for one of those questions

Ok mothers of daughters - at what age did you allow your daughter to

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

DD has had light scented body sprays for a year+ now (post gym, it is needed
along with the deodorant).

She just bought her first lip gloss - no color, but lots of gloss..(ok it's
flavored too)..

I'm ambivalent about it folks - I see most of her friends wearing lip gloss
and many of them with eye liner and mascara too..

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Cheryl

Old April 28th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
.....snipped.......
So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Cheryl

I was twelve and my mother **forced** me to wear lipstick to church,
etc. I went to Catholic School so was not allowed to wear any makeup
in grade school (First through Eighth grades) and only lipstick in High
School. I was a Freshman -- 14 years old -- before I chose to wear
makeup and that was only on dates or church, special occasions, etc.
Once DD was in Seventh Grade -- she was 12 years old, I think -- and
they had dances, she was allowed to wear LIGHT makeup for special
occasions. By Eighth Grade, she would try to sneak out of the house
wearing makeup to school -- lip gloss, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara.
I did not allow that but she could wear tinted lip gloss to school.
Neither of us are perfume people so that was never an issue. If she
had a kid perfume that she liked she would wear it for special
occasions, even as a little kid. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old April 28th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Relax, Cheryl. Learn to pick your battles.

I went to an English Girls' Grammar School. Full traditional school
uniform, "hair will be worn off the collar" and no makeup whatsoever.

Fast forward. DD in 6th grade, we met a friend of hers, along with
mother, and said friend was wearing full makeup. I remarked upon it,
and the mother said that oh yes, she liked her daughter to wear makeup,
and had taught her how to apply it. I was appalled and horrified. Then
jr. high. The school was five blocks from our house, I was the only
stay-at-home Mom in a four block radius and as all the other moms left
for work before their daughters left for school the girls all
congregated at my house. I just sat on the back porch in my robe,
drinking tea and reading the morning paper, carefully not noticing how
many bowls of cereal etc were served out of my cupboards but available
if someone needed a safety pin or extra socks. By the time they all
left, both bathrooms smeLled like either a funeral parlor or a brothel!!

One day I saw dd and a friend going out of the house, full streetwalker
makeup, each carrying a stuffed animal, and they stopped halfway down
the block to climb a tree!

That was when I decided to stop worrying and let them get through this
stage in their own good time.

p.s. for Karen. Stage makeup is an entirely different question. If you
are on stage, you wear whatever makeup is required, then clean it off
when you come offstage.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old April 28th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote .

Ok mothers of daughters - at what age did you allow your daughter to

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

My daughter didn't really do makeup--still doesn't as an adult. She has
always done hair, and had multicoloured hair in Grade 4 when the stylist she
went to practiced competition stuff on her (with my permission) and she
continued to use temporary hair stuff of various colours from then on. I
have a picture of her asleep while I was putting hundreds of tiny braids
into her hair at age 11 or so. She didn't really get into perfume until
highschool (remember the CK One thing???) I would have let her do makeup and
perfume from about age 10 on, if she had wanted to, with makeup at that age
being defined as Lip Smackers and glitter gel (fun stuff rather than serious
obsession about appearance).
My parents never "let" me do makeup. It didn't matter because like lots of
girls, I just put it in my school bag and applied it once I left the house
(just like rolling up your skirt waistband). I began in highschool when I
had my first job (so about age 14) and so my own money. I can remember
buying a set of Mary Quant crayon makeup. Very cool.

Dawne

Old April 28th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Apr 28, 8:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok mothers of daughters - at what age did you allow your daughter to

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

DD has had light scented body sprays for a year+ now (post gym, it is needed
along with the deodorant).

*She just bought her first lip gloss - no color, but lots of gloss..(ok it's
flavored too)..

I'm ambivalent about it folks - I see most of her friends wearing lip gloss
and many of them with eye liner and mascara too..

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Cheryl

It was never an issue for me with my parents because I had the older
sister paving the way and fighting all those battles. I can remember
wearing hot pants and knee high black boots when I was in junior high,
that how lax the standards got at my house!

As for my own daughter, she definitely had her own make-up to
experiment with by the time she was thirteen. Mostly she'd just shut
herself in the bathroom and play with the stuff. I did full make-up on
her when she was eleven for her Halloween costume as a movie star and
realized how dangerous it was as she looked eighteen easily.

She didn't really start wearing make-up outside the house except for
lip gloss until she was sixteen.

We never really made an issue of it and neither did she.

Donna in Virginia
Old April 29th 10, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:28:20 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

I think 7th grade or so. Precipitated by the slew of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs
to attend. I remember receiving some perfume as a Bat Mitzvah gift.
Charlie and Love's Fresh Lemon will date me pretty accurately I think.
I know I was wearing eyeshadow regularly by 8th grade, but I wasn't
allowed to wear lipstick. I'm probably still not allowed to wear
lipstick. But my mother had all sorts of weird issues about
"suitability." She was bizarrely strict about toe cleavage and
refused to allow me spaghetti straps, even for a prom dress. But I
was allowed to dye my hair blond, so go figure.
FWIW, I very, very rarely wear any makeup at all now. But, I actually
have a Bar Mitzvah to attend this weekend (in Milwaukee), so I'd
better see what I've got.

Randomly,
Sara
Old April 29th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

I think 7th grade or so. Precipitated by the slew of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs
to attend. I remember receiving some perfume as a Bat Mitzvah gift.
Charlie and Love's Fresh Lemon will date me pretty accurately I think.
I know I was wearing eyeshadow regularly by 8th grade, but I wasn't
allowed to wear lipstick. I'm probably still not allowed to wear
lipstick.

LOL - I think it was about the same for me. Kind of end of 7th grade for a
little bit of make-up, lip gloss, mascara. Light scent. But I was a bit
younger - so my mom had me wait until 8th/9th grade. AT which point she
took me to her beauty salon and had my eyebrows done by someone the first
time. And to the make-up counter at Burdine's (nice FL store) - to have
make-up done. Maybe the Yardley counter? Anyhow, I was allowed light
eye-make-up, lip gloss, blush for going out to parties, etc in 8th grade.
Then towards end of 9th could wear a bit to school. Definitely wore a
little bit to high school - then by uni, forget it - who had time - except
for going out.

Our big argument was about leg shaving - which in retrospect I probably
didn't need. But, I finally get her to go for it when I went to jr hi in
7th grade.

But my mother had all sorts of weird issues about
"suitability." She was bizarrely strict about toe cleavage and
refused to allow me spaghetti straps, even for a prom dress. But I
was allowed to dye my hair blond, so go figure.
FWIW, I very, very rarely wear any makeup at all now. But, I actually
have a Bar Mitzvah to attend this weekend (in Milwaukee), so I'd
better see what I've got.

Randomly,
Sara

Interesting how all our experiences compare. I was growing up in Miami,
which in those days was a little glamorous. My mom was not so into make-up,
etc and I went to summer camp with "beach girls" - kids from the swanky part
of Miami Beach. Which made me feel a little dowdy. So, as I recall, when I
hit the middle of jr hi, my mom started making a bigger effort with me for
me to have cute clothes, help with the make-up. Since I (like little Elise)
was an incredible tomboy, playing lots of sports (including on the boys
little league team, and being a barn-rat) it was a counter. Plus, our
neighbors owned an awesome boutigue named "Experiment # 1 or #2" (2 shops)
- so that made it easy for mom to do some cute shopping for me. To this
day, my older extended family cousins (and their mom) still remark about
what great eye make-up I wore. Mom was quite strict that I always
wash/remove make-up properly. And when I went more north for school - made
sure I started using moisturizer, skin stuff. She did me a good favor with
that.

My mom didn't wear make-up to just run around, and I gave her grief - in
retrospect - I'm at about that same place. Now, I wear very minimal make-up
during days doing stuff - but if I wear none I look dead. But, I do the
full shebang when going out-out.

As has been said - pick the battles. By not battling too much with me, and
giving reasonable limits that weren't excessively strict - at least for me -
I didn't go nuts with the make-up, or hiding and adding, etc.

Ellice

Old April 29th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/28/10 2:36 PM, in article ,
"Olwyn.Mary" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Relax, Cheryl. Learn to pick your battles.

It was more curiosity, I'm letting her do the gloss, so far she's not
interested in the rest of it.

The scent sort of just happened. I couldn't find an unscented deodorant that
I'd let her use (and no to antiperspirant - not a good idea for anyone let
alone some one who is athletic)... So I just found a scent that was
agreeable to both of us.

Cheryl

Old April 30th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Apr 28, 5:28*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok mothers of daughters - at what age did you allow your daughter to

Wear "perfume" (includes body sprays)?
Wear "makeup" - lip gloss, eye makeup, etc?

DD has had light scented body sprays for a year+ now (post gym, it is needed
along with the deodorant).

*She just bought her first lip gloss - no color, but lots of gloss..(ok it's
flavored too)..

I'm ambivalent about it folks - I see most of her friends wearing lip gloss
and many of them with eye liner and mascara too..

So - when did you let your daughter wear make up and when did your parents
let you?

Going first - 15 for make up -around 12 for scent

Cheryl

No kids but still have input. :-) I never really got into makeup and
rarely wear any scent since so many workplaces are scent free due to
allergies and problems with people not knowing when to stop. I DO,
however have three nieces! They started wearing lip gloss and nail
polish around 12 or so. When the two older ones were turning 13, I
(after checking with their moms) went to the local dollar store and
bought them each $10 worth of lip gloss, nail polish, eye liner, etc.
I wrapped each item individually and then wrapped the bigger box that
they received. They LOVED them. The girls' birthdays are 6 weeks
apart so they both opened them on the same day, when I was visiting.
We (my sisters and I) decided that they were interested enough in make
up to start trying it and all the parents agreed that they would much
rather the girls try the stuff out at home to find out how to do it as
well as what looked nice and what crosse the line and made them look
like baby hookers. :-)) They were still allowed to go only so far on
school days, with maybe a little extra for special occasions. Now
that the girls just turned 21, They seem to have it down pretty well
and only use enough to accentuate their natural beauty. I may be
prejudiced, being a doting aunt and all, but I, naturally, think they
are beautiful enough not to need any at all. :-)))
Liz from Humbug