Tape for keeping skirts and pants from slipping down?

Old September 22nd 04, 03:18 PM
Martin

Default Tape for keeping skirts and pants from slipping down?

They used to have a tape that had a rubber stitched face which was sewed or
glued to the inside waistband of skirts and pants to keep them from slipping
down. It was not the kind of elastic tape that stretches.

Would anyone know what that tape was called and where I could get some,
perhaps online.? The sewing and fabric stores I've visited have never
heard of it.

Suggestions would really be appreciated.

Marty

Old September 22nd 04, 08:52 PM
Valkyrie

I use it not so much to keep things up but to keep things tucked in, handy
stuff for whatever reason. The site I get it from (no I don't work for them,
I don't work for anyone. I pride myself in being completely untrainable.)
is... http://www.sewsassy.com/Pages/Elastic.html
They have a variety of sizes and the price is pretty reasonable. Look for
gripper elastic.

Val

Old September 22nd 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:18:26 GMT, Martin wrote:
They used to have a tape that had a rubber stitched face which was sewed or
glued to the inside waistband of skirts and pants to keep them from slipping
down. It was not the kind of elastic tape that stretches.

This will do both: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Gripper%20Elastic.jpg
(google for "gripper elastic"). Or there's Snugtex, which is often cut
to patches rather than being used for the entire waistband application.
http://www.steinlaufandstoller.com/Waistbanding.htm

There's also a premade waist curtaining with Snugtex already in it.
Try googling for snugtex and curtain together.

Kay

Old September 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
Martin

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:18:26 GMT, Martin wrote:
They used to have a tape that had a rubber stitched face which was sewed

or
glued to the inside waistband of skirts and pants to keep them from

slipping
down. It was not the kind of elastic tape that stretches.

This will do both: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Gripper%20Elastic.jpg
(google for "gripper elastic"). Or there's Snugtex, which is often cut
to patches rather than being used for the entire waistband application.
http://www.steinlaufandstoller.com/Waistbanding.htm

There's also a premade waist curtaining with Snugtex already in it.
Try googling for snugtex and curtain together.

Kay

Thanks all for the information.

Snugtex is what I think I am looking for and I did find it with Google. But
I am curious to know how the gripper elastic differs. Snugtex appears from
one illustration I saw to be essentially the same product that was put out
by Dritz many years ago: a non-stretching base of a square woven fabric
tape with stitches of very coarse rubber along its length. But I need
something that doesn't stretch and some of the descriptions of the gripper
elastics I saw seem to say that they do. Do they stretch along their
length?

Marty

Old September 23rd 04, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:13:47 GMT, Martin wrote:
something that doesn't stretch and some of the descriptions of the gripper
elastics I saw seem to say that they do. Do they stretch along their
length?

Gripper elastic does stretch (though the pieces I've had haven't been
as stretchy as say, corset elastic of the same width). Snugtex doesn't
stretch. You can use gripper elastic for much the same purpose as Snugtex,
just apply it 1:1 instead of stretched. Or maybe 1:1 minus an inch for a
little more grab.

Kay