Charles Craft Tubes

Old January 4th 04, 11:00 PM
PaulaB

Darla wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:12:38 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

"Chip Orange" had some very interesting things
to say about Charles Craft Tubes:

I was looking for something for long-term storage. I've thought about the
tubes that are meant to wrap textiles around but they only come 36" long or
longer and you have to saw(!) them to smaller sizes. Then you have to put
muslin around it to protect the fabric. (An aside...doing time-consuming
things with muslin always reminds me of RCTN's Christine, who made little
muslin bags for each of her skeins of floss!)

[blink] I think she was before my time. Are you serious?

Yes, Seanette, she's from before your time. Yes, she's serious.
Christine was also the one who swore that floss-licking would cause
your fibers to deteriorate. Fabric too, of course, as the floss goes
through the fabric. And threading the needle and cutting off the
licked end isn't good enough, because the eye is still contaminated.

Bet you didn't know that spit was so hazardous!
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

She must not be the only one because I know lots of stitchers with
those little plastic boxes with a sponge inside! And I do know that
some claim that every time a new thread is started, within a few years
there will be a little dark spot at that point in the stitching where
the saliva deteriorated (good grief, I can't even spell that!) the
thread. I lick anyway. I am a recreational stitcher, not a purist!
;-) Paula B.
Old January 5th 04, 12:30 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

PaulaB wrote:
She must not be the only one because I know lots of stitchers with
those little plastic boxes with a sponge inside! And I do know that
some claim that every time a new thread is started, within a few years
there will be a little dark spot at that point in the stitching where
the saliva deteriorated (good grief, I can't even spell that!) the
thread. I lick anyway. I am a recreational stitcher, not a purist!
;-) Paula B.

Not by the looks of that wall of yours. That's not recreational, my
dear. g I've never seen so many pretty pieces of needlework in one
room in my life! I think there must be another word for those that go
just an teeny bit beyond "recreational". Like the difference between a
fan and a fetish.

Just teasing. I was quite impressed.
Dianne

Old January 5th 04, 05:16 PM
PaulaB

Not by the looks of that wall of yours. That's not recreational, my
dear. g I've never seen so many pretty pieces of needlework in one
room in my life! I think there must be another word for those that go
just an teeny bit beyond "recreational". Like the difference between a
fan and a fetish.

Just teasing. I was quite impressed.
Dianne

**blush** What a nice compliment! Peter (DS, now 20) told me years
ago we should construct a maze, similar to one a lab rat runs through
but bigger, to gain more wall space for more samplers! I like the way
that kid thinks, LOL!
Paula B.
Old January 5th 04, 10:35 PM
CANDY CORRIGAN

Makes sense to me - we only use water from the Brita - for drinking, or
cooking (as in making soup, sauces - in the base), or brewing drinks.

This
way, you spit is pure when you lick the floss - don't have to worry about
threads being contaminated by residual chemicals from the water hanging
around your mouth.

Ellice - occasional floss-licker, user of needle threaders

In Japan embroidery is almost like a religion. Those that enter a program
to learn are fed a special diet to best achieve the chemical balance and
consistancy for twisting the threads. So it isn't just what you drink but
what you eat as well.

Candy