Charles Craft Tubes

Old January 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Allie Orange

Default Charles Craft Tubes

Is it possible to buy tubes like those Charles Craft fabrics come in, either
from that company or from someone else? So many people on RCTN seem to use
them to store fabric and WIP's and they seem ideal.

TIA,
Allie Orange
Tallahassee, FL

Old January 1st 04, 11:32 PM
Felice Friese

"Allie Orange" wrote in message
Is it possible to buy tubes like those Charles Craft fabrics come in,

either
from that company or from someone else? So many people on RCTN seem to

use
them to store fabric and WIP's and they seem ideal.

TIA,
Allie Orange
Tallahassee, FL

They're not as pretty, of course, but paper towel rolls work well. I also
hang some fabrics from skirt hangers.

Felice

Old January 2nd 04, 01:01 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Felice Friese wrote:
They're not as pretty, of course, but paper towel rolls work well. I also
hang some fabrics from skirt hangers.

I once bought a nice long 1" dowel and cut it into several lengths and
sanded the edges. They work wonderfully well for keeping projects rolled
up between sessions.

Sue

Old January 2nd 04, 01:33 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

"Allie Orange" wrote in message:
Is it possible to buy tubes like those Charles Craft fabrics come in,
either from that company or from someone else?

Felice Friese then replied:
They're not as pretty, of course, but paper towel rolls work well. I also
hang some fabrics from skirt hangers.

Gift-wrap tubes are nice, too. You can purchase heavy kraft tubes
through office supply stores. I've also purchased a few white ones at
the post office.

Just remember: none of these should be used for LONG storage. A year
or two *might* be okay. I use everything listed above for my designs,
but I'll bet they'd be great for many an ongoing "project".

Dianne

Old January 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
Chip Orange

I was looking for something for long-term storage. I've thought about the
tubes that are meant to wrap textiles around but they only come 36" long or
longer and you have to saw(!) them to smaller sizes. Then you have to put
muslin around it to protect the fabric. (An aside...doing time-consuming
things with muslin always reminds me of RCTN's Christine, who made little
muslin bags for each of her skeins of floss!)

I thought the Charles Craft tubes would be of the right type of plastic to
store the fabric, since they are selling fabric in them.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:11 AM
PaulaB

I have no idea where you could get them. Just a word of caution...be
very careful about storing things in them (or any airtight containter)
that you've washed. A friend washed and pressed a Marbek angel, then
rolled it up and put it back in the tube and when she took it to the
framer a month or so later, it was covered with mildew - she hadn't
gotten it dry. :-((( Just be careful!
Paula B.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:12 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Chip Orange" had some very interesting things
to say about Charles Craft Tubes:

I was looking for something for long-term storage. I've thought about the
tubes that are meant to wrap textiles around but they only come 36" long or
longer and you have to saw(!) them to smaller sizes. Then you have to put
muslin around it to protect the fabric. (An aside...doing time-consuming
things with muslin always reminds me of RCTN's Christine, who made little
muslin bags for each of her skeins of floss!)

[blink] I think she was before my time. Are you serious?

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old January 2nd 04, 04:12 AM
Jenn Liace

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:26:04 -0500, "Chip Orange"
wrote:

I thought the Charles Craft tubes would be of the right type of plastic to
store the fabric, since they are selling fabric in them.

Just a thought - What about PVC piping?

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Simply Sensational January Calendar (Mill Hill)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old January 2nd 04, 04:51 AM
mole

"Felice Friese" wrote in message news:c62Jb.24813$I07.65372@attbi_s53...
"Allie Orange" wrote in message
Is it possible to buy tubes like those Charles Craft fabrics come in,

either
from that company or from someone else? So many people on RCTN seem to

use
them to store fabric and WIP's and they seem ideal.

TIA,
Allie Orange
Tallahassee, FL

They're not as pretty, of course, but paper towel rolls work well. I also
hang some fabrics from skirt hangers.

Felice

I went to my local office supply store, Office Depot, and bought
mailing tubes in various sizes. They are sturdy. The large ones that
hold drafting plans will also hols stretcher bars and other things.
They have tight fitting tops and bottoms.
Old January 2nd 04, 12:29 PM
Jeri

"Jenn Liace" wrote in message

Just a thought - What about PVC piping?

I believe PVC is one of the products you want to stay away from. I know when
my son was into collecting baseball cards he always bought non-pvc plastic
sleeves.