Q: Inks

Old December 27th 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Default Q: Inks

I'm looking for recommendations for 2 types of stamping ink:
1. a permanent ink suitable for stamping on fabrics
2. a permanent, waterproof and pigment-based ink that can be used on
polymer clay

There are so many different types and manufacturers out there, it's hard
to find the proper types for particular applications.

Thanks,

Arondelle
--
"Supermodels. Hah! Nothing 'super' about them - spoiled, stupid little
stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.

"Feh! I used to design for GODS!"

Edna Mode: "The Incredibles"
Old December 30th 05, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Arondelle wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for 2 types of stamping ink:
1. a permanent ink suitable for stamping on fabrics
2. a permanent, waterproof and pigment-based ink that can be used on
polymer clay

There are so many different types and manufacturers out there, it's hard
to find the proper types for particular applications.

Thanks,

Arondelle

Never stamped on either myself, but looking through back issues of stamp
magazines...

1. Looks like either acrylic paint or any dye ink would do. I know I've
seen ink labeled for fabric sold, but don't remember the manufacturer.
But looks like the magazines used numerous brands of dye ink.

2. From "16 polymer clay projects" article, I see projects that use:
pigment ink by Stampin' Up then bake clay; Pearl Ex by Jacquard then
bake; bake then use acrylic paint and chalks; more Pearl Ex; VersaMark
by Tsukineko, bake, then paint with Lumiere by Jacquard; more Pearl Ex
and StazOn ink by Tsukineko; mica powder; more of the same.

Looks like most of the projects used Pearl Ex and mica, not inks per se.
From personal experience, I think the StazOn inks work best overall
as permanent and waterproof on most any surface, and they now come in
lots more colors than just black. Because I have no personal experience
with fabric and clay, I'd say try it on scraps first, just to be sure.

HTH,
Barbara
Old December 30th 05, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Barbara Hass wrote:
Never stamped on either myself, but looking through back issues of stamp
magazines...

1. Looks like either acrylic paint or any dye ink would do. I know I've
seen ink labeled for fabric sold, but don't remember the manufacturer.
But looks like the magazines used numerous brands of dye ink.

2. From "16 polymer clay projects" article, I see projects that use:
pigment ink by Stampin' Up then bake clay; Pearl Ex by Jacquard then
bake; bake then use acrylic paint and chalks; more Pearl Ex; VersaMark
by Tsukineko, bake, then paint with Lumiere by Jacquard; more Pearl Ex
and StazOn ink by Tsukineko; mica powder; more of the same.

Looks like most of the projects used Pearl Ex and mica, not inks per se.
From personal experience, I think the StazOn inks work best overall
as permanent and waterproof on most any surface, and they now come in
lots more colors than just black. Because I have no personal experience
with fabric and clay, I'd say try it on scraps first, just to be sure.

Thanks, Barbara. :-)

I've used the pearl Ex and other embossing powders on polyclay before.
Nothing is required to make the powder stick to the clay; you rub it
onto the unbaked clay like blusher. It a beautiful effect.

What I'm looking for is something that I can stamp onto paper, first,
and then bake a liquid version of the polyclay over it. The paper peels
off after baking, leaving the stamped impression on the translucent
clay. In theory. I haven't found a stamping ink that is both
waterproof enough to keep from bleeding when the liquid clay is applied,
and "pigmenty" enough to leave the paper and stick to the clay.

However, the Stampin' Up ink sounds like it's worth a try.

As for stamping on fabric, just about any ink I've tried leaves a good
impression on the fabric, but then doesn't hold up to the wash test. I
want to stamp motifs for quilting projects -- and all quilts eventually
have to be washed. I'd hate to put that much work into a quilt and then
have the design wash away. :-)

If you can remember the name of the fabric ink company, I'd be much obliged.

Have a Happy New Year,
Arondelle

Old December 30th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Arondelle wrote:

If you can remember the name of the fabric ink company, I'd be much
obliged.

Have a Happy New Year,
Arondelle

This might be what I was remembering:
http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_versacraft.html

VersaCraft inkpads by Tsukineko (formerly called Fabrico)

I saw a number of sites on the web, all said to be sure to heat set the ink.

Barbara
Old December 30th 05, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Fabrico was the one I remembered, but I had forgotten that they changed to
VersaCraft...I have used Fabrico successfully in the past, I just ironed
over the image on the wrong side of the fabric and then threw it in the
dryer for good measure. I have some stamped fabric projects that still look
fresh stamped.

Arleen

Old December 30th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Thank you both, Barbara and Arleen!

I bookmarked the link you sent in the event I can't find the VersaCraft
locally.

I was just in the local AC Moore; they have half a dozen different types
of stamp pads, including the Stayzon, but I'l be dog-goned if I can
remember what the other brands were. )

I did find a pigment-based ink that might be suitable for my polyclay
project. There's nothing to do now but get experimenting.

Thanks again,
Arondelle

Old December 31st 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

"Arondelle" wrote in message
As for stamping on fabric, just about any ink I've tried leaves a good
impression on the fabric, but then doesn't hold up to the wash test. I
want to stamp motifs for quilting projects -- and all quilts eventually
have to be washed. I'd hate to put that much work into a quilt and then
have the design wash away. :-)

If you can remember the name of the fabric ink company, I'd be much
obliged.

This is a site for the same ink someone else recommended. The fabrico or
versacraft.
I have seen this in stores...just not sure which one. It also tells you here
how to
heat set, which I would do with any kind of ink you end up using.
http://www.cistamps.com/fabric_ink.htm

I did a search on "fabric ink" and found a couple of different kinds of ink.
As far as an ink for polymer clay it may be worth asking at
rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Good luck with this.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps

Most of the tricks I've seen for transferring ink images to clay
involved the use of a slick paper, I found I could transfer inkjet
prints from Meritline glossy photo paper (another brand did not work so
well for me). With non glossy papers the ink seeps into the paper
rather than staying on the surface. High cotton content in a paper
makes it more absorbent, high clay content makes it transfer better. I
think all the same things would apply to a stamped image.

I've seen a lot of things saying alcohol inks are compatible with
polymer clay but I think that's more often used for tinting TLS.

Ingrid