An Odd Question About Custom Fabrics

Old July 24th 05, 07:24 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"Pete Holland Jr." wrote in message
Hey, everybody!

snip I am a movie buff, and have a couple of movie posters that I would
love to
have made into megaprint shirts. It occurs to me that getting the posters
put directly on the fabric (like what they do for wallhanging panels)

would
work just fine. The problem is, where do I find a place that will do

this? snip
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,
Pete Holland Jr.

Pete:

It should be quite easy (although somewhat messy if my memory serves me
correctly!) and quite a fun project to do. You will, however, need a fair
amount of space. When I was a teenager we transferred all kinds of prints
and posters to unbleached cotton and cotton/poly broadcloth using gestetner
fluid. Rubbing alcohol is also supposed to work. It transfers the image
reversed, so you might want to go to a print shop (photocopy place) and have
a reverse colour copy made of your poster first.

I'm sure you could google for the instructions, or find a book at your local
library on the process. Good luck!

Cynthia

Old July 24th 05, 08:22 PM
Pogonip

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Pete:

It should be quite easy (although somewhat messy if my memory serves me
correctly!) and quite a fun project to do. You will, however, need a fair
amount of space. When I was a teenager we transferred all kinds of prints
and posters to unbleached cotton and cotton/poly broadcloth using gestetner
fluid. Rubbing alcohol is also supposed to work. It transfers the image
reversed, so you might want to go to a print shop (photocopy place) and have
a reverse colour copy made of your poster first.

I'm sure you could google for the instructions, or find a book at your local
library on the process. Good luck!

Cynthia

You remind me of early times, when someone discovered that you can take
a Xerox copy and glue, and actually glue the copy to the fabric, let it
dry, then soak it and scrape the paper off, leaving the toner image on
the fabric.

Seems like you might be able to do that with heat, as well, but I don't
remember any reports about that. Toner is just plastic powder that is
statically attracted to the paper, then melted in place.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth
Old July 24th 05, 09:02 PM
greenvelvetsofa

"romanyroamer" wrote in message
SBS an Australian TV channel had a program about this last weekend. A
fashion designer in Sydney has fabric printed. she has it worked out on a
computer and then printed in small runs. It comes out looking amazingly
bright and clear. The fabric has a look of modern decoupage. To get around
copywrite laws she doesn't use all the image but cuts and pastes.

Cut & paste still doesn't "get around copyright laws" - at least here in the
US.

Collage still must adhere to copyright laws - and what you are describing is
creating a "derivative work" from a larger piece.

Another example would be sampling a piece of music to include in another
song - the sampled piece still is copyrighted, and its author must be paid
royalties.

best,
Denise

Old July 24th 05, 11:16 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

First, though, one must not always assume that the item is copyrighted! Not
all posters have a copyright on them - people assume they do, but sometimes
the companies 'cheap out' and do not apply it. Furthermore, at least in
Canada, one may photocopy or transcribe an item for personal use without
copyright infringement. Any published use (even in school reports!) must
show credit to the original and/or have permission.
Therefor, I can copy a purchased cd for my own use (I get my teens to do
that and leave the original at home - saves a lot of money on lost or stolen
cds), or trace a pattern to use over and over again. But: I may not trace
and then sell that same pattern! I can see no problem with him using the
poster to print fabric, although the print shop might not want to make the
copy if it is copyrighted because they are profiting by the print...
Cynthia

Old July 25th 05, 12:07 AM
Sally Holmes

You can transfer a photocopy to fabric using something like Plaid Picture
This, available from craft shops. There are instructions here
http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagepaper.html for using a similar transfer
medium. You can also use a homebrew of water, washing-up liquid and white
spirit. IIRC, you put the paper with the image face-down on your fabric and
saturate the back with this unholy mixture. Then you "burnish" it with the
back of a teaspoon to transfer the image to the fabric.

Caryl Bryer Fallert uses Bubble Jet Set,
http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/bjs.htm, to transfer images to fabric and if
it's good enough for her, it ought to be good enough for anyone.

I'd be concerned with either of these methods, though, about washfastness.

Or you can get special transfer paper that goes through a photocopier or
printer, and is then ironed onto the fabric. It changes the hand of the
fabric. If you choose this route, see if you can get a T-shirt printer to do
the ironing for you as they'll have a press that can deliver the right heat
and pressure.

I'd be interested to hear what you do and what results you get.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old July 25th 05, 02:27 AM
zwm

So every time you sing a song or a band (school, garage etc) preforms a
song they had better be paying royalties?

Old July 25th 05, 07:55 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered
First, though, one must not always assume that the item is copyrighted!
Not all posters have a copyright on them - people assume they do, but
sometimes the companies 'cheap out' and do not apply it. Furthermore,
at least in Canada, one may photocopy or transcribe an item for
personal use without copyright infringement. Any published use (even
in school reports!) must show credit to the original and/or have
permission. Therefor, I can copy a purchased cd for my own use (I get
my teens to do that and leave the original at home - saves a lot of
money on lost or stolen cds), or trace a pattern to use over and over
again. But: I may not trace and then sell that same pattern! I can
see no problem with him using the poster to print fabric, although the
print shop might not want to make the copy if it is copyrighted because
they are profiting by the print...

Then you are displaying a spectacular misunderstanding of the copyright
laws.

A single copy for "personal use" is vastly different to copying an image
to then replicate a number of times in the manufacture of another item,
even if it is not intended for sale. Yes, the copy shop are likely to
refuse, and rightly.

I, as a photographer, own the copyright on images I produce and sell. If
you buy one of these images to display on your wall, wonderful. I get
paid, you have something nice to look at, we are both happy. If you then
persuade someone to copy that image, or part of it, and transfer it,
say, to a T-shirt, I will not be happy. I will express this lack of
happiness in court. If the image is to be used thus, I will sell you
another image, or I will sell you a license to produce a number of
copies for use in an agreed manner.

The OP was talking about reproducing images of cartoon posters in this
manner. I would urge caution. The producers of the posters have paid
large amounts in license fees and royalties to whoever owns the
copyright on the original images. They are entitled to take a dim view
of theft. And before anyone leaps down my throat saying "it's a big
corporation, one image won't matter" the likes of Disney can and do
prosecute.

On the topic of pattern usage; if I copy a pattern to use for my self,
that is not an issue. If I sell garments/ accessories made from that
pattern to the general public and it can be proven, again, I am leaving
myself open to prosecution. Again, it can and does happen.

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 25th 05, 07:59 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article . com, zwm
of http://groups.google.com uttered
So every time you sing a song or a band (school, garage etc) preforms a
song they had better be paying royalties?

If it is a public performance of more than a small proportion of the
entire work, yes.

And whether you agree with the principal or not, that is the law and
failure to comply is not only breaking that law (and making criminals of
the members of your school band) but depriving somebody somewhere of
their livelihood.
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 25th 05, 07:59 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article .com, zwm
of http://groups.google.com uttered
I've always been under the impression that copyrights were to prevent
you from making a profit from the item, but you could use it for your
own use how ever you want.

Then you have always been wrong. I suggest you do some research into the
copyright laws of the country in which you live. Your local lending
library is the obvious place to start

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 25th 05, 07:08 PM
zwm

So PETE (the Orginal Poster) ,
You better get permission to use any thing you have bought, because
you might have to pay again to make it into something the orginal
producer of the Poster dosen't make. These copyright prople are
standing outside you door just waiting !!!

oh an to The She Who Is.... PLESE do NOT copy My words I have written
You Are Infringing On The Copyright ME !!!

Now if all of you could give me answers on my actual Frabic Craft
question that I have posted in this group....mmmm..welll yeah , what do
I expect silly me!!