Good link for setting stones and other objects for the non-metalsmith

Old January 2nd 04, 07:37 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Default Good link for setting stones and other objects for the non-metalsmith

http://rockwraps.homestead.com/Gold.html

This was posted to r.c.j. today and might prove useful for those who don't
do any sort of metal work but would like to set an interesting stone, shell
or other object as a pendant. I think this simple little do-da is very
clever! The maker gives full instructions and samples of set objects on
this site.
Marisa (AU/NZ)

Old January 2nd 04, 07:47 PM
Beadbimbo

Wow! Someone came up with a good idea!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 5th 04, 08:47 AM
Marisa Cappetta

My rational for posting this site is that there are those who may not do any
form of metal work, not even wire wrapping, yet may still have a nice object
they'd like to turn into jewelery. Having tried these thingamajigs, it may
also give someone the impetus to explore wire wrapping a little further. You
just never know what will kick-start a new journey for someone! While these
thingies are too simplistic for me, I could see how they might benefit a
novice.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Marisa Cappetta"
:

]http://rockwraps.homestead.com/Gold.html

i've looked at those several times, Marisa.
i still can't make up my mind about them.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old January 5th 04, 09:12 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Ah, we crossed wires, so to speak Well, the rock wrappers seem fairly
inexpensive, maybe you could try one out. Anyhoo, what seems to be the
problem with your wire work? Is there anything I could help with? Wire can
be stubborn sometimes. One of the things I do when I'm trying out an idea
is to sit down with a large roll of inexpensive wire and just play. It's a
bit like practicing scales on the piano. It warms up the fingers and also
teaches them the properties of the wire. I often come up with wire
'sketches', I've got a tin full of little ideas that I refer back to much as
I would a visual diary.

Do you know how to anneal wire? Sometimes it helps especially when you're
attempting a complex design. The clean up after anealling is a bitch though,
unless you pickle and then put the piece through a tumbler with metal shot.
This takes some of the grind out of it and hardens the finished piece as
well. If you want to anneal a piece in progress, stick it in a tin can sat
in a bed of pumice. Heat the can, this way there's less risk of melting a
portion of your design (learned THAT the hard way when I was a student
rushing to finish end of semester projects, yikes!!!).

Let me know if I can help.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
"vj" wrote in message
news
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Marisa Cappetta"
:

]My rational for posting this site is that there are those who may not do

any
]form of metal work, not even wire wrapping, yet may still have a nice

object
]they'd like to turn into jewelery. Having tried these thingamajigs, it

may
]also give someone the impetus to explore wire wrapping a little further.

You
]just never know what will kick-start a new journey for someone! While

these
]thingies are too simplistic for me, I could see how they might benefit a
]novice.

oh, i'm sorry. i understood that.
i get so frustrated at not being able to make the wire do what i know
it SHOULD do, i've looked at those several times and wondered about
buying them. i just haven't made up my mind yet whether they would
work for me or not!

-----------

Old January 5th 04, 09:30 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Sketch them for later when you're more proficient, this way you lose the
anxiety associated with fearing you might forget.
i have too many designs in my
head i don't know how to get out, for starters.

Anealling re-softens metal. In the case of wire and silver, heat it with a
torch until it's cherry red (a dim room is best for seeing the colour).
no - does that harden it, or resoften it?

December, 2005.
**grin** when are you headed for the US???????

-----------

Old January 5th 04, 07:33 PM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
says...

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Marisa Cappetta"
:

]http://rockwraps.homestead.com/Gold.html

i've looked at those several times, Marisa.
i still can't make up my mind about them.

I get a blank white page. What are they?

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat