Making a petticoat "full"

Old July 30th 05, 12:12 AM
Trish Brown

Sarah Dale wrote:
Trish Brown wrote:

The resulting petticoat was *perfect* and the circular skirt sat
beautifully on it. With this particular garment, it suited me to allow
the net to show about eight inches beneath the skirt to good effect.
One slight drawback was the cut edge of the net: it's scratchy and
snags stockings. The best way around this, I found, was to run a
narrow overlocker (serger) rolled hem around it. Twice! This gave the
hem body

With a petticoat made as Trish describes, I'd be tempted to make a
complete cotton half slip, and then apply the netting to the outside of
it, as per Trish's description. No more scratchies on the legs then!
That net can be vicous stuff!

HTH

Sarah

Sarah, that's an excellent idea! I didn't have to wear the petticoat I
made - my DSD got that pleasure! LOL! She only reported that she removed
her pantyhose very early in the evening - never said what happened to
her leggies... ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old July 30th 05, 04:28 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I have always folded the netting in half so that the exposed edge was a
fold - no more scratches or snags. The raw edge was attached to the slip or
up inside a waistband - no skin contact!
Cynthia

Old July 30th 05, 04:47 AM
Doreen

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
I have always folded the netting in half so that the exposed edge was a
fold - no more scratches or snags. The raw edge was attached to the slip or
up inside a waistband - no skin contact!
Cynthia

What a good idea!

Doreen in Alabama

Old July 30th 05, 05:58 PM
joy beeson

Just running off at a tangent:

I'd like to remind y'all that the last time crinoline
petticoats were in fashion, we wore full slips under them.

I had one that was made of a coarse net that was, for all
practical purposes, "horsehair" braid all over. But there
were no ends sticking out, so it wouldn't have snagged my
stockings even without the slip.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework