Help with a pattern

Old October 16th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

Default Help with a pattern

Ladies and Gents,

I desparately need your help.

I am working Mac & Me's #070 Firm Fitting Fingerless Gloves pattern and
I am to the Marking the Thumb stage.

It states:

"Next Rnd: Work to Stitch 39, Place a marker for the Thumb (I did
this), INC in next ST, K1, INC in next ST Place a Marker (did all that
too). Finish the Round. There are now 5 stitch between the markers."

So I placed the markers for the thumb, and my beginning of round marker
is now between those two markers. So to what marker do I finish the
round? The beginning of the thumb or to my round marker? Because the
next step it to work 1 round even.

I don't know where my round is anymore. At this point I have finished
the round to my original end of round marker and need to know what I'm
working even, because after working it even I start increases between
the thumb markers again.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jenn in CA - this is my first non shawl or scarf pattern and first
thing worked in round on DPNs.

Old October 16th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Jenn wrote:
[...]

You're supposed to knit 39 stitches before placing the first marker. I
think you have it in the wrong place; it should be opposite the
beginning of your round.

sue
Old October 16th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Jenn" wrote in
oups.com:

Ladies and Gents,

I desparately need your help.

I am working Mac & Me's #070 Firm Fitting Fingerless Gloves
pattern and I am to the Marking the Thumb stage.

It states:

"Next Rnd: Work to Stitch 39, Place a marker for the Thumb
(I did this), INC in next ST, K1, INC in next ST Place a
Marker (did all that too). Finish the Round. There are
now 5 stitch between the markers."

So I placed the markers for the thumb, and my beginning of
round marker is now between those two markers. So to what
marker do I finish the round? The beginning of the thumb or
to my round marker? Because the next step it to work 1
round even.

if you knit 39 stitches after the beginning of the round, how
did your beginning of the round marker get in the middle? it
should be 39 stitches away (approx. opposite the thumb).

I don't know where my round is anymore. At this point I
have finished the round to my original end of round marker
and need to know what I'm working even, because after
working it even I start increases between the thumb markers
again.

i'm afraid you need to frog back to the row before the
increase & start again, placing the thumb marker after the
39th stitch. if you aren't sure where your end of row marker
should be, you can trace up from the caston tail.
good luck.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

My end of round marker is after stitch 40 - as there are 40 stitches in
the round.

I knitted to stitch 39. Placed a marker ( two before my end of round).

Increased in stitch 39, knitted stitch 40 - moved end of round marker
over. Increased next stitch, placed second thumb marker.

Therefore, my end of round marker is between the two thumb markers.

I finished that round to my end of round marker (past the first thumb
marker).

Jenn

Old October 16th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Jenn" wrote in
ps.com:

My end of round marker is after stitch 40 - as there are 40
stitches in the round.

I knitted to stitch 39. Placed a marker ( two before my
end of round).

Increased in stitch 39, knitted stitch 40 - moved end of
round marker over. Increased next stitch, placed second
thumb marker.

Therefore, my end of round marker is between the two thumb
markers.

I finished that round to my end of round marker (past the
first thumb marker).

oooooh, ok. bulky fingerless gloves... then what should be
happening is that the end of round marker will stay in the
middle of the thumb increases (although that's going to get
weird when you finish the thumb. does it have you move the
marker later?).
the easiest thing to do is make your thumb markers a different
color than your end of row marker, so you don't mix them up
(well, it's something i've done, so...)
so, you've done the first increase row & the next plain row
to the EOR marker, right? does this pattern have a left & a
right instructions? what i would do is stop working plain at
the EOR marker & start the next increase row. it sounds like
that would give you a better shaped thumb.
where is the pattern from? i searched Google & Yahoo! and came
up empty. i might have better ideas if i could read the
pattern.
lee
Old October 16th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

Enigma,

The pattern is from Mac & Me - when I google the company name - I think
I actual search for Mac and Me knit patterns.

Turns out the designer read the email I sent her on this one, responded
and after much reading and rereading, I finally understand.

The First thumb marker becomes my new beginning of round.

So do the increase row (increase on inside stitch of thumb markers,
rest of rnd even), the work one round even (no increases), repeat till
there are 13 stitches between the markers, finish on even round.

Take 13 stitches and place on holder. Cast on 3, join with rest of
original round and work 40 stitch rnds till instructions say to stop.
The Cast on 3 replaces the 3 I [stole] to start the thumb area.

For thumb, will go back and pick up 13 from holder and 3 from cast on
and work in round till instructions as to stop.

There is no left right for this pattern. Both hands are worked the
same. Should be interesting when finished as I clearly have no idea
what I'm doing. :-)

Jenn
enigma wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in
ps.com:

Old October 16th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

Sounds like the way I do kids mittens -- should work fine.
Judy

New pattern methods and pattern making materials [email protected] Glass 1 April 15th 06 03:21 PM
New pattern from picture. F.James Cripwell Needlework 0 December 28th 05 02:52 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 12:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM