OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 15th 05, 02:52 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine I cannot understand how "midnight Mass" can start at 6pm or 8 pm
which are both times we now have Mass on Christmas Eve. Midnight Mass used
to always start at midnight.

Years ago we had a priest who thought it very funny to keep telling people
for a week or two before Christmas that he did not want anyone calling him
to find out the time of Midnight Mass. The we went to Saltsburgh for a
white Christmas and just happened to pass the cathedral early in the day and
saw a notice that said"Midnight Mass will commence at 11.30 pm" so we
figured Fr Shannon was not so silly after all.

Another year we were at Grand Canyon and Colleen was with us and she looked
up the phone book to see if the was a church in the area and having found
one, phoned to see if they had midnight Mass, and the answer she got was "
I'm too old for that kind on shananighan, Mass is at 8.30 and it will be so
cold and so dark you will not know the difference ' which brought peals of
laughter from Colleen. To this - please forgive the length of this - I
will add a little story.

We went out to the car to go to this 8.30 Mass and Colleen was carrying a
box about the size of a double shoe box and I asked what it was and she
replied " I am taking it to have it blessed" so I figured that was funny but
then one never knows just what Colleen may do. On arrival at the church we
were about to leave the car and I asked why she had not taken it out of the
car - and she said "Oh! semi blessed will do" When we got back to the motel
she brought it in and opened it and it was two bottle of Great Western
champagne ( an Australian champagne which is a family tradition after
midnight Mass) which she had brought from home. The idea was that she
figured the trip in the snow, to and from the church plus an hour at Mass
should just about chill it to perfection !!!*** God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
I remember when I first moved here, and was at that time, a Roman

Catholic.
That first Christmas, I could not believe that there was no such thing as
Midnight Mass. As a child, we used to attend Midnight Mass, and then stay
for the low mass immediately following. I wonder how many people did that?
It was called "the Mass at Dawn", even though it was hours before dawn
actually arrived. Here, "Midnight Mass" starts at 8.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Yes, Katherine it is interesting when one thinks about it . These
days it is getting hard to find a midnight Mass on Christmas eve and
until there are none I will continue to search for one as that - for
me - is the real feeling of Christmas. nowadays the ones that are
held, except in the city Cathedrals, are in half empty churches
whereas one used to have to be at the church by at leat 11.15 to get
a seat. Of course one of the reasons is that they have one or two
earlier Masses - but these only attract the families of the parishes
not , as Gemini said, as large number of non Catholics and people who
may never darken a church door again for another year - and that is
surely a shame God Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
MRH wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
LOL Or of mother being stubborn. I remember years later, she
refused to sing "Adeste Fidelis" in English.

I've always preferred it in Latin too. I miss when Mass used to be
done in Latin as well... it always seemed holier that way. Also,
when we used to have Midnight Mass in Latin on Christmas Eve, there
were always more non-Catholic people in the church than Catholics.
;o)

Really? Interesting.

Katherine

Old October 15th 05, 02:53 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Gemini add me to that too God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
MRH wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
I remember when I first moved here, and was at that time, a Roman
Catholic. That first Christmas, I could not believe that there was
no such thing as Midnight Mass. As a child, we used to attend
Midnight Mass, and then stay for the low mass immediately following.
I wonder how many people did that? It was called "the Mass at Dawn",
even though it was hours before dawn actually arrived. Here,
"Midnight Mass" starts at 8. Katherine

Yes, that's sad.... Midnight Mass is no longer at Midnight here
either. It's at about 8, and in the past few years they have rotated
which church will be holding it too. *shakes head* I sure do
miss the old ways of doing things.

Me, too, Gem. I like ritual.

Katherine

Old October 15th 05, 02:56 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Cher I am not sure what time our pubs close but I know it is quite late but
neither they or the parties seem to have interfered with our midnight Masses
anyway - although there may well have been people there who had had a few -
or a few too many- drinks but at least they behaved themselves if they were
present. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
. uk...
Pubs have late nights at weekends and bank holidays here, and now they are
on about staying open all the time, pity anyone with an alcholic
partner...must be awful.
DH goes up for a pint and a chat to his mates, a couple of times a week,

but
would never stay out all night or do anything to make me worry in that

way,
so I'm lucky in that way and lots of other ways.

Cheers.....Cher

"Katherine" wrote in message
That could be one of the points, but since the pubs here close early on
Christmas Eve, I don't think that it applies here.

Katherine

spinninglilac wrote:
Our Mass is earlier too, would this be to prevent vandals and drunken
idiots from the pubs interferring in the service do you think? Now
it is held whilst people are in the pub, and not open when they leave
the pub to stagger home

Cheers....Cher

Old October 15th 05, 03:00 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Christine, that sounds beautiful - two years ago we had Midnight Mass at
Coolangatta and the church was lit entirely by candles and I thought it
really lovely. Each year we seem to have to find a different church that
will have midnight Mass - I guess when we run out of churches we will have
to succumb to the 8 pm one God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
We still have Midnight Communion at 11.30 pm Christmas Eve, preceded by

half
an hour of carols, so that the communion part of the service is at about
midnight. The church is lit only by candles in the hanging candelabra,
although the choir have electric light as the candles in the choir stalls
are a bit close, and they get a bit hot and sometimes singed!! It's
absolutely beautiful, and when DS and DD2 were in the choir as youngsters

it
just made it all that bit extra special
Love Christine

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
"Katherine" wrote in message
I remember when I first moved here, and was at that time, a Roman
Catholic. That first Christmas, I could not believe that there was no

such
thing as Midnight Mass. As a child, we used to attend Midnight Mass, and
then stay for the low mass immediately following. I wonder how many

people
did that? It was called "the Mass at Dawn", even though it was hours
before dawn actually arrived. Here, "Midnight Mass" starts at 8.

Katherine

Yes, that's sad.... Midnight Mass is no longer at Midnight here either.
It's at about 8, and in the past few years they have rotated which

church
will be holding it too. *shakes head* I sure do miss the old ways

of
doing things.

Gemini

Old October 15th 05, 03:02 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine, I know she will and it will be a very special reason to keep it
in Latin for her God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Thank you, Gwen. I am sure that she will hear and appreciate it.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine, now you havw really set me off - I guess your mother and I
have a lot in common - I kind of always thought that I was the only
one stubborn enough to heartily sing the Christmas carols at midnight
Mass in English, but even more heartily continue to sing Adeste
Fidelis in latin.
I never learned latin but knew the translation ( as we did with all
the latin prayers) but somehow "Come all ye Faithful "is just not the
same. Next time I join in the singing I will remember your mother.
God Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
LOL Or of mother being stubborn. I remember years later, she refused
to sing "Adeste Fidelis" in English.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine, a case of "mother know best " says i with a grin God
Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine once at towards the end of one of our USA ?Canada I
found myself saying "A-Loom-in-um" and figured it was time I went
Home !!! Here it is as mentioned "Al -you -min-ee.um"

LOL My mother and I had many "discussions" about that word. It was
not until I showed her how it was spelled in my Chemistry book that
she permitted me to pronounce it the "Canadian" way. Even then, she
continued to say it her way.

Katherine

Old October 15th 05, 03:08 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Gemini, in this case I guess we mean "country" as in the country of Canada
and "cousin" as being related to you within the Commonwealth.

However, the other version of country would sit well with me I guess as I
lived out west with no neighbours within eight miles and no school and so
no school friends - or friends of any sort my own age , just my two
brothers , my dog and my horse for company !! My mother used to say she
took great care that we did not become "country bumpkins". I like to think
she succeeded !*

God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
) I'm quite pleased to be your "country cousin", Gwen! Although I

get
a little put-out with a few people I've met from the nearby city who refer
to us from my small town as "country bumpkins"..... I retaliate with "I

have
never lived in the country in my entire life. I am a TOWN person, not a
country person.", but that is only when they tick me off and talk down to

us
like we're hicks who don't know any better. Meanwhile I could dance
circles around them with my grammar compaired to theirs.

Speaking of which.... Yesterday Matthew took me to a restaurant for fish
and chips while we were in the nearby city, and the waitress came to the
table and asked "How are yous today?" Matthew looked across the table at
me and grinned while I smiled politely and answered (through my clenched
teeth) "Fine thank you, and how are you?" When she walked away we got
giggling because another waitress came up to the table behind us and said
the exact same thing. Matthew said "It must be a prerequisite for working
here that you have to say YOUS!" I said "Yeah, but did you have to look

in
my face when she said it? and he said "I know how much it bugs you and I
could see your skin crawl and the hair stand up on the back of your neck."
LOL Rotten kid! hehehe

Gemini

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
And Australian ,Gemini, no wonder we refer to Canadians as our "Country
Cousins" God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
"Katherine" wrote in message
suzee wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra*

"i"
in the word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there.
Aren't
all our differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay, but how come if it's spelled `aluminum' and you pronoun only
those letters, it sound like `aluminium'?

sue

I think you missed the post where she said there is the extra "i"

in
their spelling. ALUMINIUM. ;)

Shelagh

Yeah, I saw that later. Just like the English to put extra vowels in
words....

Or Canadians/Americans to remove one - "neighbour/neighbor". I spell

it
with the "u".

Katherine

I spell it with the "u" too, Katherine... also coloUr as I said in a

spell
these words without the "u" and either way is correct... but *with* the

"u"
is the Canadian spelling. )

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 15th 05, 03:27 AM
Katherine

The YarnWright wrote:
"Sussi" wrote in message
ups.com...
We immigrated to Massachusetts from Denmark when I was a child. My
father, with his heavy Danish accent used to think that he spoke "the
king's English" ( isn't there a queen? ;-). I have always said that
he was a linquistic snob. Pronounciation is a regional thing and
rich with culture. Just so with fiber arts. It seems that most folks
on this list hold more than one common interest. How many of us are
musicians? I play the bass!

~Sussi~

Why do I knit? Because I cant sing, or play any instrument, Sussi!
BUT!
I know there ARE quite a few who DO either PLAY something, or sing, or
maybe dance *I DO DANCE*

I play the piano, violin, and am learning the guitar.

Katherine

Old October 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Katherine

Gwen
What a lovely story! At my childhood home, after Midnight Mass, everybody
came back for ham and mince pies. It was wonderful!

Katherine

Old October 15th 05, 03:30 AM
Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Gemini, in this case I guess we mean "country" as in the country of
Canada and "cousin" as being related to you within the Commonwealth.

However, the other version of country would sit well with me I guess
as I lived out west with no neighbours within eight miles and no
school and so no school friends - or friends of any sort my own age
, just my two brothers , my dog and my horse for company !! My
mother used to say she took great care that we did not become
"country bumpkins". I like to think she succeeded !*

She definitely did!

Katherine