A crazy thought for Crazy quilts

Old September 10th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Arkansas[_2_]

Default A crazy thought for Crazy quilts

I have a Babylock Embellisher.............it is a great machine, by
the way........
Does beautiful needle felting.

I wonder why I can't take a base of fabric----maybe a sheet?-------and
sew on large freeform shapes in a nice design and just needle them
down to the base or sheet............I could get some great curves and
whatnot with different pieces, then just top stitch the ribbon, lace,
or what have you over the "seams"................

Would that work?

Sure sounds easy............I like easy.

Pat in AR.
Old September 10th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Pat, you absolutely can! I also have the Babylock Embellisher. Just
practice some first. When you punch fabric to a base everything
shrinks and pulls up. Some textures work better than others. Some
fabrics actually shred in the embellisher.

But practice with some scraps and then just get creative. It's really
fun.

Sunny
Old September 10th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I can't see why that wouldn't work. My girlfriend did something similar
to make a crazy quilt jacket. She took a large piece of cotton material
that she would like for the lining of her jacket and sewed randomly
shaped pieces of material all over it, then used her Janome 6500 to
stitch various decorative stitches around the patches and added
embellishments.

She layed the material face down on a table and placed her jacket
pattern on the top and cut them out. When she sewed the parts together,
she had a beautiful, easily made jacket.

Just remember that if you're using fairly thin materials for top and
bottom, some of the stitches, like zigzags, will "tunnel" if there isn't
a stiff enough stabilizer under the stitching. In a couple of places my
friend placed a thin stabilizer between the two materials before
stitching.

Denise

Old September 10th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lisa Caryl[_2_]

Hi Pat,
Yes, you sure can. I did something like this for a journal cover. I did put
a thin layer of batting under the muslin and I needlefelted several types of
fabric-cottons, silk, silk velvet etc. The fabric does bunch up, but it's a
neat effect. I have a picture with close ups at my picturetrails site, link
under my name below, pics in the needlefelting album.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old September 11th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sep 9, 6:59*pm, Pat in Arkansas wrote:
I have a Babylock Embellisher.............it is a great machine, by
the way........
Does beautiful needle felting.

I wonder why I can't take a base of fabric----maybe a sheet?-------and
sew on large freeform shapes in a nice design and just needle them
down to the base or sheet............I could get some great curves and
whatnot with different pieces, then just top stitch the ribbon, lace,
or what have you over the "seams"................

Would that work?

Sure sounds easy............I like easy.

Pat in AR.

Hi Pat, Yes you can and make some beautiful work. If you would like
to see the professional techniques using other fabrics go to
www.bagsandpillows.com. Christopher Nejman teaches this technique and
also has a book called Christopher Nejman Pillows, as well as seminars
and workshops. My Embellisher sat idle for almost a year until I found
him. Now i can make some unique and beautiful work. Check it out and
have fun. George

Done anything crazy? Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 13 April 4th 08 09:56 PM
crazy quilts niasha Quilting 2 May 30th 06 08:48 PM
Am I Crazy? Mike & Joan O'Brien Yarn 10 March 12th 06 08:53 PM
Crazy Quilts Mary in Oregon Quilting 4 April 3rd 04 01:59 AM