OT - Shingles

Old July 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default OT - Shingles

Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Thanks

--
Janet L. Walker

Old July 16th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

wrote in message
Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Thanks

--
Janet L. Walker

Poor you! I had it some years ago, and it lasted about six weeks - even
after the rash had gone. The nerve irritation can go on for a lot longer
though, depending on the area it has affected and you may need painkillers
for some time.

Best wishes

Pat P

Old July 16th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Brenda Lewis" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Based on the people I've known who have had shingles, the sores last a
couple of weeks. The pain can last for several months. An outbreak
around the eye can cause permanent blindness. Please remember to stay
away from those who have not had chickenpox (or been vaccinated) since
they can catch the virus from you. The vaccine isn't given until age 1 in
the US so infants are susceptible. My daughter (at age 11 months) and my
non-immunized sister got chickenpox two weeks after my mother's first
shingles sore appeared. While we don't think I ever had chickenpox as a
child, I was around all of them and had to care for my daughter during her
two-week outbreak and didn't catch anything. The doc suspects I had such
a mild case as a child that we didn't notice.

--
Brenda

That reminds me of when we had young kids and used to have "Chicken pox
parties" and "German Measles (Rubella) parties - so that all the kids would
catch it and get it over and done with!

Pat P
Tickler of Chuzzles

Old July 17th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

wrote in message
Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Thanks

--
Janet L. Walker

First and foremost, you have my deepest sympathy. I had a classic case of
shingles a few years ago and it's an experience I probably will never
forget. All I know is I couldn't wear a bra, or anything that touched my
skin for the whole time.

For me the real pain lasted for about six weeks and then there was a few
months of residual pain. I took Famvir the day after the lesions broke out
and apparently it worked very well for me. It didn't shorten the duration
of the active stage, but after a couple of months the pain went away and has
never returned. My doctor thought it was the Famvir that helped.

You could try using Capsaicin on the places that hurt, being careful not to
get it on any opened blisters. It really did help some.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more encouraging time frame, but mine did go
away completely and thats certainly a good thing because I remember my
father complaining years after he had Shingles.

I'm sending kisses because if yours are around your diaphragm the way mine
were you definitely would not appreciate a hug.

Lucille

Old July 17th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/16/06 2:52 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Thanks

No advice, I had a small lesion once and it KILLED, so lots of healing
thoughts!

Cheryl

Old July 17th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

wrote:
Since this group is the source of all knowledge, can someone tell me how
long shingles lasts?? I have a terrible case and am just miserable!! I
have 2 prescriptions and one is for pain but just wondering how long this
should normally last.

Thanks

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it can last indefinately.
Diane gave you a good site to check.

My DH had shingles about three years ago on the top of his head, and
when we went to emerg on a Sunday evening, the incompetent idiot who
examined him, said it was a bad sunburn! (This to a man who had just
spent the weekend vintage motorcycle racing so that when he didn't have
his hat on, he was wearing his helmet). Three days later he woke up at 1
a.m. with his right eye partially swollen shut. Back to emerg - same
idiot - "oh, it's looking better! " grrrrrr.

He couldn't get an appointment until Friday with his own GP, by which
time I had spoekn to my sister "da nurse", and she diagnosed it
correctly and immediately over the phone!!!!

Considering he could have had partial or total blindness had the optic
nerve been affected, I still get steamed.

The worst of it went away in about six weeks, but he still has some
sensitivity in that area of his scalp three years later.

Marg

Old July 17th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

I know that shingles can be painful - I have a small area on my outer right
ear where it constantly recurs - sometimes once a year, sometimes more
frequently. What is odd is that I was always led to believe it was a
one-shot deal but apparently not.

I have learned to always have a bottle of the prescription antibiotics
(Acyclovir) in my possession so I can start taking it at the first twinge of
pain in my ear. Does help with lessening the symptoms, the horrible
swelling and blisters and seems to shorten the duration of the episode -
usually to about 2 weeks. Guess I'll never have my hair cut very short the
rest of my life!

I would definitely talk to your doctor to see if they can provide you as
much information as you want and need to know. It helps to have
information!

MelissaD

Old July 17th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queen City x-stitcher

MelissaD wrote:
I know that shingles can be painful - I have a small area on my outer right
ear where it constantly recurs - sometimes once a year, sometimes more
frequently. What is odd is that I was always led to believe it was a
one-shot deal but apparently not.

Melissa,

I had reoccurring shingles outbreak on my forearm for more than 25
years. It was the reason I left medicine as I could not do direct
patient care during an outbreak. I would have 5 or 6 outbreaks a year.
The nerve pain was intense and I could always tell when an outbreak
would occur. My doctor put me on famvir about 8 years ago and I had a
standing refill. The medication did lessen the size and duration. After
five years, the shingle outbreaks were down to the size of a dime and
only once a year. I have been free of shingles for about 4 years now.
Still keep a current rx for famvir though.

hth Bobbie V

remove the knot with a net to reply