Very OT. Am I crazy??

Old November 24th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Very OT. Am I crazy??

This Thanksgiving it is just DH and I. MIL has passed on, and we decided
it would be nice to have it alone, so we didn't invite anyone over.

I decided to make everything from scratch. Home-made cranberry/orange
relish ( made yesterday, a double batch); home-made Texas cornbread
stuffing ( yup, made the cornbread muffins last night). Creamed onions,
from the "real" onions, not frozen. Real garlic mashed potatoes; real
brussell sprouts, not frozen. This will be quite a feast for us, but
most of the veggies I am making about half-recipe.

Since we won't have room for dessert, I will make an apple pie tomorrow
for the left-over dinner.

I am having fun, so I guess one isn't crazy if one enjoys doing it. It
is just that it is usually so easy to buy prepared, packaged and frozen
food these days.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Gillian
Old November 24th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Gill Murray" wrote in message
[...]

No, you're not crazy. I'm going to my friend's daughter for dinner and it
will be nice, but I miss doing it myself.

I loved doing Thanksgiving and making all the traditional dishes that my
family loved and we always had company so it was a big, happy crowd. She
did ask me to make a cranberry mold that her family loves and I don't even
like a little, so I get to do just a little cooking.

Have a happy!

Lucille

Old November 24th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:
This Thanksgiving it is just DH and I. MIL has passed on, and we decided
it would be nice to have it alone, so we didn't invite anyone over.

I decided to make everything from scratch. Home-made cranberry/orange
relish ( made yesterday, a double batch); home-made Texas cornbread
stuffing ( yup, made the cornbread muffins last night). Creamed onions,
from the "real" onions, not frozen. Real garlic mashed potatoes; real
brussell sprouts, not frozen. This will be quite a feast for us, but
most of the veggies I am making about half-recipe.

Since we won't have room for dessert, I will make an apple pie tomorrow
for the left-over dinner.

I am having fun, so I guess one isn't crazy if one enjoys doing it. It
is just that it is usually so easy to buy prepared, packaged and frozen
food these days.

Hey, I don't think it's crazy even if you have a
bunch of people for Thanksgiving. We have a crowd, but we
cook collaboratively so no one has too much to do.
Everything is from scratch for us, except the obligatory
jellied cranberry sauce in a can (which we love ;-) ).
I made the pumpkin pies last night and the apple pie
this morning and the turkey's in the oven now.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 24th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Gill Murray wrote:
[...]

Plain old jellied Ocean Spray cranberry sauce is wonderful stuff. I'm asked
time after time to make this concoction of canned wholeberry cranberries,
jello, fruit and nuts because apparently most people think it's great.

For me, canned is the thing.

Lucille

Old November 24th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

..

Hey, I don't think it's crazy even if you have a
bunch of people for Thanksgiving. We have a crowd, but we
cook collaboratively so no one has too much to do.
Everything is from scratch for us, except the obligatory
jellied cranberry sauce in a can (which we love ;-) ).
I made the pumpkin pies last night and the apple pie
this morning and the turkey's in the oven now.

Best wishes,
Ericka

LOL, my daughter was here in the summer with her family. I cooked a
turkey, because it can be an easy meal. I had home-made cranberry sauce,
and bought a can of the jellied stuff. Well, I think DGD, Stephanie aged
11,ate almost the whole can of the jellied stuff!

I still giggle when I think of it. The turkey smells good, doesn't Erica?

Gillian
Old November 24th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

I am having fun, so I guess one isn't crazy if one enjoys doing it. It
is just that it is usually so easy to buy prepared, packaged and frozen
food these days.

I thought I was the crazy one.

I'm about 2 weeks from giving birth, we just bought a house and moved,
DH is on week 3 at home post knee surgery, and I'm self-employed and
have tons of work to do.

So...sending the dawdler off with her g'ma to the relates' house for the
yearly shindig, and having Banquet TV dinners in front of the TV between
working, cleaning, and putting away.

Oh, and since Wal-Mart's open but no one's ever there on T-day, we're
going essentials shopping when we can be slow and gimpy together and no
one will jostle us.

--
Lizard-Gumbo

http://community.webshots.com/user/moonlightmojo
Old November 24th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

.

Hey, I don't think it's crazy even if you have a
bunch of people for Thanksgiving. We have a crowd, but we
cook collaboratively so no one has too much to do.
Everything is from scratch for us, except the obligatory
jellied cranberry sauce in a can (which we love ;-) ).
I made the pumpkin pies last night and the apple pie
this morning and the turkey's in the oven now.

Best wishes,
Ericka

LOL, my daughter was here in the summer with her family. I cooked a
turkey, because it can be an easy meal. I had home-made cranberry sauce,
and bought a can of the jellied stuff. Well, I think DGD, Stephanie aged
11,ate almost the whole can of the jellied stuff!

I still giggle when I think of it. The turkey smells good, doesn't Erica?

Gillian

LOLOL! Well, we HOPE that Erica smells good!!!

Happy thanksgiving to you all!

Pat P

Old November 24th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Pat P wrote:
[...]

Oops, forgot "it"!! The package arrived safely, Pat. I really appreciate
you doing that for me. Something will be heading your way before long!
Gill
Old November 24th 05, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

LOL, my daughter was here in the summer with her family. I cooked a
turkey, because it can be an easy meal. I had home-made cranberry sauce,
and bought a can of the jellied stuff. Well, I think DGD, Stephanie aged
11,ate almost the whole can of the jellied stuff!

I usually don't eat a pile of it at Thanksgiving
dinner, but I *love* it on the turkey/stuffing/cranberry/
mayo sandwiches the next day ;-)

I still giggle when I think of it. The turkey smells good, doesn't Erica?

You betcha! My parents live next door, so dinner
is usually at their house. It's usually them, my family,
my sister, and some guests. My sister usually does some
appetizers and some sides. I'm always on pies and gravy
(for some reason, everyone else is afraid of making
gravy) and usually do the roasted turkey in my oven
and then whatever else needs doing. This year, we're
doing a roasted turkey, a fried turkey, and a ham.
Yum...I'm getting hungry already ;-) I suppose I'd
better get dressed, though. I've been lazy in my PJs
today!

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 24th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

hi there

this is a test for my college work.

back soon to chat about needlecraft.

anyone do tatting???

backstage textiles BDS2pds Needlework 61 May 3rd 04 10:50 PM
Crazy Patchwork Lisa Caryl Quilting 1 January 29th 04 05:02 PM
Crazy quilt shop to open in Plymouth MI! HALLIE VE Marketplace 0 August 14th 03 04:41 PM