Need tumbling

Old July 8th 03, 09:00 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know once I decide on a source,
in case others are in the market, too.

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:27:46 -0700, vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Deirdre S.
:

]Especially the garbage disposal, I suspect.

exactly!

]What I have read suggests rinsing it in a sieve, which makes sense.

also, some of the shot seemed to stick inside the wire in some of my
pieces, so i've learned to check carefully - it can fall out at
unexpected times.

]OK, I'll do an online search for it. Just wondered if I could get a
]hint from an experienced user :-)

it seems to run ABOUT $20/pound. and for my tumbler, i needed two
pounds. but i'll never have to replace it, unless i get careless and
spill it where i can't recover it.

my local supply store [none of the hardware stores worked on this] has
a really THICK catalog from a supplier - and for the life of me, i
can't remember the company name, but it starts with an "A" [Alpha?].
it's the first place they look when they are asked for something
unusual. that was also the best price they found for me.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old July 9th 03, 01:45 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

And about an hour with stainless steel shot
Susan W

"Tante Lina" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Karen_AZ wrote in message 9%yOa.147220$Dr3.134385@fed1read02...
It takes about a week to tumble with the walnut hulls.

Thanks Karen. - TL

Old July 9th 03, 01:46 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

I bought 5 for a friend the other day and it was around 60. I don't have
the catalog out now
Susan W

"Tante Lina" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Steve & Susan Wright wrote in message ...
Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5

pounds
is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler.

Hi Susan,

How much does IJS want for their stainless steel shot? Rio wants 20.00 a
lb.

* TL *

Old July 9th 03, 01:52 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

The shot is denser than most items. THe barrel of the tumbler is a simply a
liquid plus average stone volume I susspect with lots of water around stone.
Stone weights much less than shot.. If you think 1 lb can like coffee and
then compare that to 1 lb can of corned beef you will get the concept. 1 lb
is a weight measure and what volume eguals a lb can vary.

Susan W

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
boggle How do you get five pounds of shot into a three-pound
tumbler? Or is there some kind of mystical math involved?

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:25:14 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
wrote:

Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5

pounds
is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or

burnishing
compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
amonia in the tumbler!

Susan W

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
.. .
Where'd you get it? I am in the market, too...

Deirdre

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:45:59 -0700, vj wrote:

i've even already go the stainless steel shot in it and everything.

Old July 9th 03, 06:38 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks... this makes perfect sense.

Deirdre

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:52:57 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
wrote:

The shot is denser than most items. THe barrel of the tumbler is a simply a
liquid plus average stone volume I susspect with lots of water around stone.
Stone weights much less than shot.. If you think 1 lb can like coffee and
then compare that to 1 lb can of corned beef you will get the concept. 1 lb
is a weight measure and what volume eguals a lb can vary.

Susan W

.. .

wrote:

Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5

pounds
is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or

burnishing
compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
amonia in the tumbler!

Susan W

.. .