What would happend...

Old November 1st 03, 06:04 PM
m4816k

Default What would happend...

....if I would take my 14K gold jewellery, together with my 24K gold coins to
jewellers, and say that I'd like him to mix those two to make a single piece
of jewellery? Mathematically, from mixing 14 and 24K in the right ratio, you
can (for example) get 18K gold. But, how smart is to ask jeweller to make an
alloy for you, instead of getting it from a refinery? What's the risk of
alloy not being done well? Hope I'm not asking too much! Thank you!

Old November 1st 03, 11:53 PM
ted.frater

I suggest you go and ask your jeweller/goldsmith the question yourself.
We get this one just about every week and get tired of pointing out its
a more expensive way of making anything.
another approach is to ask your carpenter to do your house alterations
with demolition timber youll supply instead of new. Just ask him!!. the
reply you will get will be the same in principle as youll get from your
goldsmith.
Old November 2nd 03, 08:48 AM
Kambizjoon1

hello all,

'm4816k", i have to ask you the reason why you are doing this.

in the past twenty five years many people have brought me their grand parents
jewelry, their mothers rings, etc. and have asked me to make rings using their
own gold or platinum. i have always felt honored and i have always been happy
to do it . i think it is a ligitimate and an honest request. this is what bonds
people to each other.if someone has lost a family member, the least i can do is
to make a pinky ring for them using their own gold.

making jewelry is not always about money. if you ever made baby earrings you
would know what i am talking about. this is a very personal matter and it is
far different from lumber used in remodeling your bathroom.
if you take your gold to a jeweler who has a torch in his shop ( one of the
first tools necessary to own to be called a jeweler) he/she will melt it down
and will make your piece from it. he/she may charge you a melting fee
however.

now, there is a slight chance that your gold maybe contaminated in which case
there is no other way than to send it to refiners for purification. but if it
is important to you, a jeweler will take the extra step.

"m4816k", take your gold to a local jeweler if you are sentimentally attached
to it , and ask them to do it for you. they will be glad to help you.

take care,
ken.
Old November 2nd 03, 10:16 AM
Abrasha

m4816k wrote:

...if I would take my 14K gold jewellery, together with my 24K gold coins to
jewellers, and say that I'd like him to mix those two to make a single piece
of jewellery? Mathematically, from mixing 14 and 24K in the right ratio, you
can (for example) get 18K gold. But, how smart is to ask jeweller to make an
alloy for you, instead of getting it from a refinery? What's the risk of
alloy not being done well? Hope I'm not asking too much! Thank you!

1. You could figure it out yourself. It is not that difficult. The only
difficulty is knowing the "exact" gold content of your 14K gold jewelry. It may
be stamped 14K, but that does not tell you the "exact" gold content. The only
way you can know accurately what the gold content of any given alloy is, is if
you made the alloy yourself. In addition, mixing a bunch of jewelry together to
use for new jewelry, is usually not a good idea, because of all the other
components you are mixing together. Besides, in the mix will probably be a
fairly sizable mix of all kinds of solders. Never a good idea.

2. You could have me (or anyone else with the knowledge of how to do this)
figure it out for you. If you send me the gold, I would alloy it for you to
your specifications. Just tell me what you want. I could even turn your yellow
gold into red gold, or vice versa, if you give me enough 24K gold to do it
with. I would charge you for the service of course, as any goldsmith or jeweler
would.

3. You could try, http://dhfco.com/pages/hints_charts_rr.html Be careful using
this site though. It is not very accurate. Try going from 15 grams of 24K gold
to 18K gold. The answer given is incorrect, as are all the answers given for
this type of calculation on that site.

Having said that, AFAIK, there is no such thing as a 24K gold coin. Coins are
usually made out of "coin gold", which is usually something around 900/1000
gold. However, if in fact you have gold coins, and not ingots, you may want to
find out what their alloys are, before you start adding them to your 14K gold
alloys.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old November 4th 03, 04:52 AM
Bob Edwards

Abrasha wrote in message
. ..
snip

Having said that, AFAIK, there is no such thing as a 24K gold coin. Coins are
usually made out of "coin gold", which is usually something around 900/1000
gold. However, if in fact you have gold coins, and not ingots, you may want to
find out what their alloys are, before you start adding them to your 14K gold
alloys.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha:

Gold coins, especially so-called "bullion coins", which are issued
primarily for purchase for their intrinsic metal value, rather than
for commerce or collectors, can indeed be 24K gold. Common examples
include the Canadian Maple Leaf, Chinese Panda, and Australian
Kangaroo coins. All of these are fine gold. A one ounce Maple weighs
exactly one troy ounce, and contains one troy ounce of fine gold.
Others, such as the US Eagle or Krugerrand, are alloyed, typically as
you say to about .900 fine (22KT +/-). A "one ounce" Krugerrand
weighs more than one troy ounce, though it does contain one ounce of
gold. The rest is copper. There are a few oddball alloys out there,
as well in lesser known coin editions.

You are, of course, correct that the poster needs to know what alloy
he actually has.

Regards,

Bob