Printing quilts onto material

Old March 25th 04, 01:00 AM
betsyb

Default Printing quilts onto material

I sangged a bunch of quilt photos off a newsgroup and thinking of printing
them onto material. I think in an old dollhouse they would look wonderful
all folded in piles.
Got the printer, got the pics but have no idea how.

--
No trees were killed in the creation of
this message. However, many electrons

Old March 25th 04, 02:16 AM
Herb

betsyb wrote:

I sangged a bunch of quilt photos off a newsgroup and thinking of printing
them onto material. I think in an old dollhouse they would look wonderful
all folded in piles.
Got the printer, got the pics but have no idea how.

You can get fabric print sheets just about anywhere (Office Depot,
Walmart, Comaputer supply stores, etc.) They work in just about any
Inkjet printer (Laser jets and impact printers don't work).

There's also a way to prepare your own fabric - there's a company that
sells a set of liquids for adhering fabric to paper (so it will go
through your printer) and for prepping the fabric to make it more
colorfast and not wick the ink. (Although surprisingly, that's not much
of a problem!) Probably a lot cheaper if you do any quantity, and a lot
more work, too.

I attended an hp presentation and demo recently - the results are
unbelievably good!

I think your printed quilts would look even better with a very thin
pseud-batting filler, a backing, and some faux stitching to give them
real three-dimensionality.

Miniature quilt racks are available, both pre-made and as kits.

- Herb
Old March 25th 04, 02:29 AM
havana bill & holly

One method I've read that worked for the person describing it was to iron
the plain vfabric to the shiny side of freezer wrap, trim it to 8 1/2" x 11"
and print on that. another suggestion, because the mini quilt might not
want to fold/ drape in 1/12" scale, is to substitute aluminum foil for the
batt & quilt through the top, foil & backing, and then the quilt can be
folded into position neatly (& stay that way). HTH
"betsyb" wrote

Old March 25th 04, 03:04 AM
betsyb

Super.I have an HP printer and I used to be able to print onto fabric if I
ironed the material onto freezer paper but on this one it just didn't seem
to feed thru properly. I will check the computer shops as you suggest.

Old March 25th 04, 03:05 AM
betsyb

What a super idea. I have used thin bubble wrap on a couple but I like the
folding idea better. Thanks much.

Old March 25th 04, 01:35 PM
Cathy Weeks

"betsyb" wrote in message ...
I sangged a bunch of quilt photos off a newsgroup and thinking of printing
them onto material. I think in an old dollhouse they would look wonderful
all folded in piles.
Got the printer, got the pics but have no idea how.

This place specializes in premium inkjet papers:
http://www.pictorico.com/
One of them is a product called Polysilk Fabric. It might be what you
are looking for.

Cathy Weeks

Old March 25th 04, 08:10 PM
betsyb

Picked up the printing fabric today at Compusa and it ran $14.99 for 5
sheets. Will let you know how they turn out.

Old March 25th 04, 08:54 PM
betsyb

Pretty amazing! I did 2, and ironed them onto the back of an old teeshirt.
They stick on nicely. And feel quite nice.

Old March 25th 04, 10:10 PM
havana bill & holly

How many quilt tops can you fit onto one of those sheets?

OT -- Printing Press text 1919 Christina Peterson Beads 0 January 8th 05 07:32 AM
Material for dollclothes and other money savers Millie Doll Houses 4 February 18th 04 04:05 AM
Stringing Material Rachel T. Beads 24 September 16th 03 06:15 PM
Quilts Jalynne Beads 1 August 9th 03 03:36 AM