Need help with making old radio knob mold

Old September 10th 03, 04:05 AM
Yzordderex

Default Need help with making old radio knob mold

Greetings,

First off I would like to say I know absolutly nothing about making
small parts.
I hope this is correct place to post.

I bought old time radio and need to make a knob. There is one of the
exact knob I need to replace on the radio. I thought I could use
existing knob to make mold of ceramic or rubber. I think perhaps pour
some type of 2 part epoxy into mold. Knob doesn't have to be perfect.
I just need to get close. I can finish with machining, sanding,
polishing operations. Just needs to be Black.

Knob is of irregular shape so that I would probably have to cast in
two pieces -or perhaps cast one part, and machine the other part. I
can't imagine a rubber mold having enough stretch to get part out
after it's set up.

So I need to know what options available to make mold and materials
available to pour.

Thanks for your help.

best regards,
Bob
Old September 10th 03, 03:40 PM
Sjpolyclay

can't imagine a rubber mold having enough stretch to get part out
after it's set up.

So I need to know what options available to make mold and materials
available to pour.

I can imagine it--I do it lots. Try Miracle Mold 2 part RTV silicon mold
material.
http://www.puffinallia.com
(I have an article on using it coming out in Belle Armoire magazine, I think
its the next issue...)

Make your mold, it needs no release agent. Pop out the original 5-10 minutes
later. Condition some black polymer clay. Push it into the mold, allow to cool
a bit from the heat it picked up in your hands, pop it out and bake according
to directions. you can drill out you attachment hole after baking, its very
soft by comparison to metal or wood. Glue in place if you like with superglue.
Have fun!! I've made knobs for my crockpots, and other small appliances.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at: